Thread: Shadow DPS help

10+ Year Old Account

Shadow DPS help

So I recently got my priest geared for Heroics, I talked to my guilds main healer she told me about good rotations and what not. She told me to Mind Spike 3 times so Mind Blast can crit which brings me to 7-9k and then do normal shadow DoTs, after I do so my DPS just steadily stays at 5-6k and I can't bring the DPS back up. So I reforged what I could and enchanted what I could and my DPS is still at the same numbers.

I even went back to my old rotation and it seems like I can't get past 8k

My rotation without Mind Spike is: VT,MB,SW:P,DP,Arch,MF, and SW: D when the mob is below 25%

With Mind Spike : MSx3,MB,VT,SW:P,DP,Arch,MF, and SW: D

Am I doing anything wrong, or is there anything I can improve on?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...�léås/simple

I wouldn't worry too much about it until you get some better gear.

i recently got my sp to 85 today and one thing that i been told is u need alot of haste. even used wowforge and it had me reforge to alot of haste. sitting around 25% haste. apparently you dots like vt and shadow word: pain and the other one last longer on the mobs with the more haste which means little less time having to continue to reapply them. also if u not aware u need 17% hit. if u not capped means either ur spells are missing or having less effect. from what i have been told it int > hit > haste > mastery > crit

You're missing quite a bit of the basics behind being a shadow priest. Mind spike is not generally used unless the mobs are dying super fast and there isn't more than 3-4 of them up at a time.

Your primary focus is buffing your dots. This happens through mind flay stacks and using a mind blast with a shadow orb up. Mind flay stacks a buff that increases dot damage by 2% per stack (total of 5). Mindblasting a shadow orb gives you increased damage based on your mastery. Both need to be up for dots to be at "full power".

My typical opening on a single target involves SW:P, Mindflay (Until I get a shadow orb), Mind Blast, VT, DP, Mindflay. Using MB on cooldown and maintaining dots up-time while using mindflay between casts.

Once you get the rotation down, then you can start worrying about your cooldowns. Archangel and shadowfiend. At lower gear levels, it is much harder to maintain your mana level. Using one cooldown once you reach 80% is a good place to start. When using archangel, be sure your dots are refreshed before using it. Archangel buffs mindflay and mindblast. Shadowfiend is a sizeable damage buff and a great mana return. Try to use this when procs that increase intellect are up.

On multiple targets, there are two things you can do if they are going to be up for a good amount of time. If I'm going the multi-dot route, I put a sw on all the targets and mindflay to 5 stacks. Hopefully by then I have a shadow orb. Mindblast to get the buff, then start putting VT on everything. Mindflay has a chance to refresh sw, so I cycle mobs to refresh it. Mindblast on cooldown and keep the dots running.
    If I'm going to mind sear, I try to get the shadow orb up mindblast then sear sear sear till the Empowered Shadows buff falls, then try to get it back.

There are guides at the top of this forum that will go further into detail.

Quote Originally Posted by hagar4172 View Post
    i recently got my sp to 85 today and one thing that i been told is u need alot of haste. even used wowforge and it had me reforge to alot of haste. sitting around 25% haste. apparently you dots like vt and shadow word: pain and the other one last longer on the mobs with the more haste which means little less time having to continue to reapply them. also if u not aware u need 17% hit. if u not capped means either ur spells are missing or having less effect. from what i have been told it int > hit > haste > mastery > crit
    It is not that they last longer but that they ticks tick faster in the same period of time.

Deleted
    Simulationcraft without any buffs except your own on a raiding dummy: 10,3k dps. As said i wouldnt worry about it too much, spriest dps as far as i know depends alot on gear.