Page 9 of 133 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Fine, a primarily dual sword mesmer with greatsword on the side.
    No.
    Pft, I'll make it work.

Idk, I haven't looked into Mesmer nearly as much as I have Thieves. I'm not quite sure why it wouldn't be optimal? I think I need to actually play it to actually see the faults past the wool in front of my eyes.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

I cant wait *_* mesmers seem so awesome

Gonna post my build tomorrow, kinda hard on my ipad :/

10+ Year Old Account
    No.
    I'm sure it could be made to work. Greatsword just generates illusions slower than dual sword does.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Added the trait/weapon calculators to my OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I just wanted to say that I think this topic has a great OP and it'd be nice if it had been the standard for all class topics.
    Some of them are only about a line long on the first post
    Tyvm , some people can be so unappreciative.

/cry

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    OP only updated the first page due to pressure from people asking him/her to do it ;D

Jk jk lol
    Bet your ass you're jk'ing .

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...cicjcsd0d1d2d4

this is my setup for pvp but i have one question - is there a difference between clones and illusions? o.0
    i know that phantasms are dmg dealing copies of you, that can be differed of u easily, while clones are exact duplicates of you, that are supposed to trick the opponent - but what are illusions, havent read anything about them besides the stuff in the traits ><
    Last edited by Sundreamer; 2012-03-02 at 05:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    All clones are illusions, but not all illusions are clones. Phantasms are also illusions, after all.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Ooooh, so its a generic term...duh - stupid me xD

This is what I think I'll end up doing http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...bqbrbvcnd1d2d4

The point of the build is to mind wrack (shatter) as often as possible. While also booning myself, allies, and applying conditions. I'll probably use staff the most and then switch to greatsword when needed such as to push someone back using wave. I also would have a good escape skill with decoy. Skill #9 I'm unsure of still. I was considering null field or the illusion that strips buffs, but I don't know. As for traits I wanted to take dom over choas because dom had the cripple on kill of clones (so if someone kills a clone there is a benefit for me)+ the extra mind wrack damage. Not sure how useful the toughness with the staff would be since most of the other traits in choas are lackluster, IMO. Inspire for the extra healing when I mind wrack (I'm guessing shred is shattering, they should really change it as it's confusing). The bottom one is obvious since I get extra crit for mind wrack and 30 power for my illusions. So what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Varah; 2012-03-02 at 08:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems the skill tool I linked is missing a few traits.

ffs

---------- Post added 2012-03-02 at 01:52 AM ----------

No.

This is primarily PvP.

The cool thing about cloaking as a mesmer, attacking doesn't break it nor does getting attacked break it.

The main concept of this build is when you know you won't be needing shred is to pop both phantasms and just unload damage on the target.

---------- Post added 2012-03-02 at 02:20 AM ----------

This is a staff support build, applying mass conditions to enemy's and boons to allies for increased survivability. Greatsword is great for peeling off enemys to people who need it.

PvE build.
    You're making me consider going dual sword mesmer. I wonder how well a sword mesmer will do in PVE though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hrm... I noticed a LOT of things in the Mesmer traits referring to interrupts, so I found this: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Interrupt

Good to know. O_o

Think I'm gonna try this out for my build:

I originally wanted a Greatsword instead of the Scepter/Torch for my second weapon set, but it looks more my style.

Loved seeing some Sword/Torch action, that's definitely a combination that I've been dying to try. I wish that instead of the 2h sword he went with staff or sceptre/x. I see both sword sets as being good dueling combinations, but horrible at group combat/support.

If you're going one on one swords are the way to go (1h or 2h), either close range with lots of clones, or long range with space creating options.

If you're in big group combat burning someone down doesn't work the same way it does in other "arena" style games with healers. There's too much AoE going on to be useful with single target style attacks, you have to pull out of the action way too much. I would have liked to see him use a staff (my plan when I get my hands on the game) to throw down some chaos storms and use some phantasms to cause some chaos. The long range attack and the stacking up of conditions seems like it would apply much needed pressure in those 3v3+ standoff situations.

This is what I've been toying around with: http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...btbvcrcsd2d4d5
    Last edited by GrodinLB; 2012-03-02 at 08:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this will be the first build i try when i get to play the game whether it's beta or after the release. This seems to suit my playstyle a bit more i think.

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...okvl5l97000000
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

I really need to start messing around with that tool, haven't had time lately to dig into it.
    Last edited by Hendor; 2012-03-02 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendor View Post
    I really need to start messing around with that tool, haven't had time lately to dig into it.
    I have messed with it a fair amount, but i have no idea how to make the little preview box pop up like others have done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    You're making me consider going dual sword mesmer. I wonder how well a sword mesmer will do in PVE though.
    Dual sword produces a lot of clones, so the obvious most effective set up would be a shatter build. With having cry on cd at all times and filler with mind wreck and stun when needed.

---------- Post added 2012-03-02 at 11:49 PM ----------

PvE dual sword. This build is very difficult to play.

-Don't use phantasms if mirror images is on cd
    -Use scepter/sword for more defense/range
    -Always use mind wreck first, use cry if wreck is on cd
    -If you used cry, switch to scepter to keep confusion going if the sword's clone summons is on cd
    -If phantasms are up use dual sword mind slash attack to prevent clone capping.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-03-03 at 12:34 AM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

so far i've seen red riding hood: this
    and the witch in sleeping beauty: this
    and i dig 'em :P i really hope they create such a variety of awesome looking gear like in aion ;-; almost every item in aion looks so awesome
    especially this one: love it

I'm hoping this is a mesmer outfit or at least clothie so I could use the transmutation orb ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by nighties View Post
    I'm hoping this is a mesmer outfit or at least clothie so I could use the transmutation orb ^_^
    well, it says light armor, so it should be lol
    cant wait to look like that witch :P

me gusta
    Last edited by Sundreamer; 2012-03-03 at 12:50 PM.

Just by watching a couple of videos, mesmer has some glaring issues.

-Mantras are lackluster (pain's damage is a joke)
    -Lack of pistol synergy with traits
    -Lack of pistol mainhand
    -Portals only last 1 minute or 2-3 teleports
    -Clones slow spawning and being unresponsive
    -Phantasms are weak
    -Over reliance on invisibility to make clone distraction work
    -A lot of traits being complete crap
    -Elite skills being meh
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Just by watching a couple of videos, mesmer has some glaring issues.

-Mantras are lackluster (pain's damage is a joke)
    -Lack of pistol synergy with traits
    -Lack of pistol mainhand
    -Portals only last 1 minute or 2-3 teleports
    -Clones slow spawning and being unresponsive
    -Phantasms are weak
    -Over reliance on invisibility to make clone distraction work
    -A lot of traits being complete crap
    -Elite skills being meh
    This and especially the bolded made me loosing my huge interrest for Mesmers... Don't know if I'm gonna go one as main anymore or if I'll go ranger/necromancer as main instead. But I'll have a mesmer for sure!