Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Cool What is PvP like in GW2 ... Is there such thing as "kiting" as in WoW?!

hello there folks!

I've got a question to ask:,

As a WoW player , I do enjoy the gameplay of WoW. It's more of "enjoyed" before the Cataclysm expansion. So I am looking for a MMO to switch to.
    GW2 looks like fun , but I am not too sure about the PvP gameplay. You see, I do enjoy kiting players with Hunter or being kited on my warrior(chasing hunter/mage is fun ).

So my question is what GW2 PvP gameplay is like ? is it like Linage , where you simply push few buttons spamming spells. I've also played Warhammer Online, and from what I saw on youtube GW2 looks like the same to me (the PvP that is). And what I want from PvP is to be able to cast/attack whilst running and if you played Hunter in WoW you will know what I mean.

Thanks all,

Pagliacci

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't watch any gameplay videos, did you?

There's two different conditions that slow people down, as well as immobilizes, stuns, knockbacks/downs, speed boosts...

Try to do some research. :S
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    You can cast/attack while moving. You don't need to stand still to do anything really.

You will be able to kite in a sense but there's alot more speed buffs and condition removals in GW2 compared to WoW so it should be harder.

There is a video from Pax East(if I remember right) featuring a warrior vs thief that was kiting to some extent, I'll see if I can find it.

Deleted
    I did watch a Norn Thief PvP video. Which looked a loot like Warhammer. Walking speed looked a bit slow, having used to "aspect of the cheetah" it's something that I will have to get used to. I couldn't find any video's on Archer PvP.

So yeah, I'll probably give it a go

Deleted
    The big sticky of videos at the top has two new Ranger PvP videos in.

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/gaming-live...e-00004666.htm

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/gaming-live...d-00004665.htm

Deleted
    Deleted.*

As stated above . Will see for myself thanks for replies.*
    Last edited by mmoce2162c61d2; 2012-03-07 at 10:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    You didn't watch any gameplay videos, did you?

There's two different conditions that slow people down, as well as immobilizes, stuns, knockbacks/downs, speed boosts...

Try to do some research. :S

This ^, though unlike WOW every melee will have ways to instantly close gaps. That means there won't be some classes/specs you can mindlessly kite for hours on end because they are simply unable to reach you due to lacking an instant gap closer.

The debuffs like stuns, immobilize effects & fears also have much shorter durations & longer cool downs then in WOW, There are also allot more ways for everyone to remove debuffs from themselves. This means that PVP will be much for strategically based then WOW where you can literally lock someone down & kill them with some classes & combinations of classes.

Also survivability will in large part be up to each individual, there are no real healers. Some builds may be able to provide more buffs then others but it will be up to you to try & avoid damage & heal up when you can. Which in turn also means that certain professions will not be forced to use healer centric builds to get anywhere in competitive PVP.
    Last edited by zcks; 2012-03-08 at 12:26 AM.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    The big sticky of videos at the top has two new Ranger PvP videos in.

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/gaming-live...e-00004666.htm

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/gaming-live...d-00004665.htm
    The second video at least have absolutely 0 PvP in it. It's just two loud french guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure about competitive PvP, but I still doubt some Professions can "kite" as good as Hunters or Frost Mages in WoW.

After looking over the Traits, I want to WvW on my Charr Thief.

...Dodge and throw down caltrops...
    ...arrow to the face...
    ...Dodge and throw down caltrops...
    ...venom tipped arrows through a poisonous cloud....
    ........epic......

XD

I don't see it happening. Every single class, except for the guardian, can basically have fulled ranged capabilities if they have a ranged weapon equipped for one of their weapon sets. The guardian has the least amount of ranged abilities, but they have several teleports, several ways to remove conditions, several ways to block incoming projectiles, and other different ways to close the gap like an immobilize, death grip ability, and a group runspeed buff.

So ya...every class should be switching to ranged abilities when you're out of melee range, and the 1 class with the least amount of ranged abilities seems to have the most gap closers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I don't see it happening. Every single class, except for the guardian, can basically have fulled ranged capabilities if they have a ranged weapon equipped for one of their weapon sets. The guardian has the least amount of ranged abilities, but they have several teleports, several ways to remove conditions, several ways to block incoming projectiles, and other different ways to close the gap like an immobilize, death grip ability, and a group runspeed buff.
    This ^ isn't entirely true.

Guardians do have a somewhat decent amount of low-moderate ranged potential via torches & focus as well as a moderate level of medium ranged potential via staffs & scepter.

That damage is just less then other specs because it also provides debuff removal & or healing at the same time.

As for the run speed buff, currently the great sword applies a retaliation buff to you and allies which reflects damage back at it's source, which goes great with other retaliation effects of which the guardian can spec & trait for allot of. As for the death grip ability, it may have a slightly longer CD then the one in WOW but it works on any & every target within range that you chose. (meaning you can yank a whole team to you at once if you chose to.)

But ya generally they will probably use teleports, damage reduction & or blocks, debuff removers & run speed boosts to close gaps unless the target is somewhere that wont work like on a keep wall etc...

---------- Post added 2012-03-07 at 08:02 PM ----------

There is also the fact that in GW2 you can body block for allies or simply run behind cover to keep projectiles from hitting you.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

It is going to be a lot harder to kite people in this game with the amount of gap closers and the fact that melee players can swap out and use a ranged weapon if they really need to. There might be kiting if somebody decides to stick with only melee weapons, but I don't see it happening that often.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    It is going to be a lot harder to kite people in this game with the amount of gap closers and the fact that melee players can swap out and use a ranged weapon if they really need to. There might be kiting if somebody decides to stick with only melee weapons, but I don't see it happening that often.
    In Soviet GW2...

The kited kites you!

(">_>)

Dunno......in GW2, if someone falls for kiting they really deserve to have their ass handed to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Dunno......in GW2, if someone falls for kiting they really deserve to have their ass handed to them.
    I'm sad there's no 10 yard kiting in this game. I had that shit down to an art.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I'm sad there's no 10 yard kiting in this game. I had that shit down to an art.
    I did cackle manically when some fool warrior would attack my hunters pet...bang.
    Or when ppl would run after my frost mage...good days.

Still, I'm glad it's not in. More scope for versatility in playstyle I think. Keeps things fluid and active. Someone tries to kite you...arrow to the face.

In pvp, most people should have melee set and a ranged set to be able to effectively adjust to any situation.

I think pvp will be mostly about positioning, using the terrain, and being able to effectively adjust to the situtaion. I can see there being SOME kiting, but any experienced person would just say "You wan't to kite me? sure! Let me just pop out my rifle and see what happens."

10+ Year Old Account
    Kiting isn't as easy as it was in WoW, though. GW2 skills are very position dependent. If you're not facing your ally or enemy, your skills will miss completely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Hopefully they won't be as OP as they were in GW1 you could spam pin and just keep a player at max distance forever.