Page 10 of 85 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Trying to make a guardian build is too freaken hard.

What weapon would go best with mace/shield?
    Dual shields.

See I know some bosses need ranged weapons, And I am entirely fine with switching my weapons to a scepter at any time... But I really want to run with 2h sword and 2h Hammer (or 1h sword and torch). That's why I love GW2 so much - cause even when pvping, if you get OMFGBBQSAUCEPWNT by a ranged character, even after porting to them and locking them down and burning them (and doing so much more), I will still feel as if I played my guardian my way!

So I say bring on any naysayers... yes I lack those ranged weapons... but watch out when you all get pulled in and trapped by my awesome combo >

Edit: Also, It is so fricken hard to decide what to choose for traits. I am still going for a power build, but damn... so many choices *cry* I am still waiting for a GOOD guardian vid to determine how hard the hammer hits normally (dynamic events where everyone is bashing on one thing shouldn't really count :P ) vs the warrior hammer

And it sucks that I am still torn between a warrior and a guardian... both hammer builds look SOOO MUCH FUN RAWRGH!!!!!!
    Last edited by Cassandrea; 2012-03-08 at 12:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying to make a guardian build is too freaken hard.

What weapon would go best with mace/shield?
    Yeah, guardian trait trees are kinda wonky. I hope they get redone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Yeah, guardian trait trees are kinda wonky. I hope they get redone.
    It is very hard to come up with a spec that is even relatively related to a 2h spec, i played around with it for a long while and even though there are 5% bonus to 2h, or sword/mace, it still feels like a forced option that really impedes your allocation of trait points in other trees. Overall, it feels incoherent for anyone who wants to do 2h melee as a guardian in pvp atm. Unless there are a handful of traits in each tree that werent included in the calculator, I hope they go through the system again and try to give a few more options.

Currently I am siding towards a burning build for 2h hammer, reminds me alot of the idea they were going with in the portrayal of the Ashbringer as a guy who set things aflame by his presence alone.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    It is very hard to come up with a spec that is even relatively related to a 2h spec, i played around with it for a long while and even though there are 5% bonus to 2h, or sword/mace, it still feels like a forced option that really impedes your allocation of trait points in other trees. Overall, it feels incoherent for anyone who wants to do 2h melee as a guardian in pvp atm. Unless there are a handful of traits in each tree that werent included in the calculator, I hope they go through the system again and try to give a few more options.

Currently I am siding towards a burning build for 2h hammer, reminds me alot of the idea they were going with in the portrayal of the Ashbringer as a guy who set things aflame by his presence alone.
    Yeah that's how I feel. I was going to play 2handed greatsword with emphasis on burning people and having powerful spirit weapons. I really hope they make two handed mastery to zeal or radiance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandrea View Post
    Edit: Also, It is so fricken hard to decide what to choose for traits. I am still going for a power build, but damn... so many choices *cry* I am still waiting for a GOOD guardian vid to determine how hard the hammer hits normally (dynamic events where everyone is bashing on one thing shouldn't really count :P ) vs the warrior hammer

And it sucks that I am still torn between a warrior and a guardian... both hammer builds look SOOO MUCH FUN RAWRGH!!!!!!
    Play both?
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2012-03-08 at 04:05 AM.

This is my burning support build. Go mace/shield whenever you need support and sword/torch for merciless burning of dem witches.

Few things, I currently don't know the worth of symbol larger and longer lasting (2 seconds). I only have 1 symbol and wasting 20 points for it is... questioning.

I don't know if I'll be commanding my spirit weapon a lot so that trait is also put up to question. Also I don't know how long they last for Imp duration to be considered.

No bow because I picked up tome of courage and merciful intervention. Sword because it has a nice aoe for damage I picked judges intervention for the sole purpose of burning with a teleport.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-03-08 at 02:09 AM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Well I imagine re-applying a burn when they have a burn already on them will refresh the duration, else there'd be no point in letting it stack in intensity.

ANet wants it to be one of those things where you could ignore it at first, but when as it builds up you have to make a choice in reacting to it.

Actually reapplying an effect will add to the duration not refresh it.

You also have to consider that burning is a pretty short duration effect with a moderate amount of damage per second.

So while you can apply burning multiple times in a row that's not a bad thing because it will likely then stay up until your next application instead of wearing off before.

---------- Post added 2012-03-07 at 08:17 PM ----------

This is my burning support build. Go mace/shield whenever you need support and sword/torch for merciless burning of dem witches.

Few things, I currently don't know the worth of symbol larger and longer lasting (2 seconds). I only have 1 symbol and wasting 20 points for it is... questioning.

I don't know if I'll be commanding my spirit weapon a lot so that trait is also put up to question. Also I don't know how long they last for Imp duration to be considered.

No bow because I picked up tome of courage and merciful intervention. Sword because it has a nice aoe for damage I picked judges intervention for the sole purpose of burning with a teleport.
    Eh given your preference for spirit weapons & burning I would probably drop 20 points from honor and then get the talents "fiery wrath" & "eternal spirit" from the zeal trait line.

If you want more healing you can always change the stats on your gear later or use "signet of mercy", the passive healing boost it applies should be decent & the instant ally revive should be a game changer since allies revive with a decent chunk of health & most abilities off CD.

Though if you really like spirit weapons I wouldn't rule out using multiple ones at the same time with the changes I mentioned to that build since the wiki states 3 can be active at once. Not sure what the spirit weapons "sword of justice" or "shield of the avenger" do yet but if you look up "bow of Truth" it states that it continuously removes conditions from you and your allies & applies regeneration when commanded.
    Last edited by zcks; 2012-03-08 at 02:24 AM.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

10+ Year Old Account
    this is my current build:
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...6g6k6r767k8082

My traits are still questionable, i am trying to make a PvP build that helps me survive heavy condition burst from targets, but I just cant seem to find a middle ground for good offense and defensive potential, as all of my offensive traits are pretty much scattered through the trees.

also, how do i link it as an image? i couldnt get that to work
    Last edited by Lothaeryn; 2012-03-08 at 03:39 AM.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Though if you really like spirit weapons I wouldn't rule out using multiple ones at the same time with the changes I mentioned to that build since the wiki states 3 can be active at once. Not sure what the spirit weapons "sword of justice" or "shield of the avenger" do yet but if you look up "bow of Truth" it states that it continuously removes conditions from you and your allies & applies regeneration when commanded.
    Sword does an aoe and shield does some pinball type thing.

I don't think zeal overall is worth it in the long run, that 20% extra damage although looks nice and adds up, it's still minor and I won't always be attacking with this kind of build.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-03-08 at 02:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zcks View Post
    Actually reapplying an effect will add to the duration not refresh it.
    They changed burning to stack with intensity instead of duration, remember?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    They changed burning to stack with intensity instead of duration, remember?
    No, the duration stacks intensely, bleeds stack with intensity.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-03-08 at 02:50 AM.

This is what I have atm

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...u56l797a7g7m7n

Wanted to be get as much of a tank feel as possible so defensive/in your face build with mace/shield and Greatsword. Depending on how much an issue conditions are, I might switch up utilities/traits to account for them. This is primarily for PVE as I generally don't venture into PVP.

New build:

Although with all my support abilities wondering if tome of courage is worth it (though we don't know the moves it does). I was kinda thinking it's an oh shit button.

10+ Year Old Account
    New build:

Although with all my support abilities wondering if tome of courage is worth it (though we don't know the moves it does). I was kinda thinking it's an oh shit button.
    Yogscast did a guardian spotlight that covered it a while back during the press event.

If I remember right it did

1: Conflagrate, massive burning damage to every enemy in target area.
    2: Affliction, an AOE cripple & weaken effect centered on your target.
    3: Smiters boon, gives might & swiftness to all nearby allies.
    4: Zealot's fervor, gives fury to all nearby allies.
    5: Judgment, knocks down current target & all enemies around it for the next 5 seconds.

So all in all it should provide a massive damage boost for your group & lock up enemies to keep them from doing anything. The only problem is that elite skills are very short duration so unless you take the traits in virtues to access the one that boosts duration you will only end up applying 2 buffs max before it's over.

oops that was tome of wrath.

However given the fact that virtues allows you to swap "virtues" more often & buffs the damage of justice & burning which are already of moderate-high damage it could very well be worth taking those traits.
    It all depends on what your play style is at the end of the day & what you need.

Also, that build seems to be very heavily spirit weapon based, if you take the talent in virtues to double spirit weapon duration it may help allot.
    Last edited by zcks; 2012-03-08 at 04:05 AM.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

10+ Year Old Account
    New build:

how are you able to post the link as an image? I havent been able to get it to work.

Also Zcks, what do you think of my 2h burning build in my previous post?

how are you able to post the link as an image? I havent been able to get it to work.

HTML Code:
    [url=http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1088340-MMOC-Guild-Wars-Guild][IMG]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg6/scaled.php?server=6&filename=charrsig.jpg&res=medium[/IMG][/url]
    HTML Code:
    Do the [URL=] in brackets, put the URL, add a ], add [IMG], then put the image and [/url] after the [/img]
    The first HTML code is an example (my sig)

10+ Year Old Account
    Sitting on-

-for Mighty Blue Bear. I like it so far for 1h mace/torch and 2h Sword.

10+ Year Old Account

Looks to be a very balanced build that should allow you to do a wide variety of things in game, though for PvP you may want to drop the hammer for a 2handed sword for the extra gap closer.

According to the impressions from the press beta reviews that I have read in most areas of the game you will want to have varying degrees of flexibility in your build depending on what your doing & only really specialize for things when in small scale PvP.
    Last edited by zcks; 2012-03-08 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandrea View Post

So I say bring on any naysayers... yes I lack those ranged weapons... but watch out when you all get pulled in and trapped by my awesome combo >
    !
    Since the PVP instances are pretty much point capping the ranged characters have to stand on the point. This will balance a lot of these issues out.
    Last edited by solarbear; 2012-03-08 at 09:08 AM.