Thread: I Am Blood DPS

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I like seeing ppl push the limits of their classes. I wish to god blizz would bring blood dps back...it was the best dps feeling spec of the DK back in wotlk. It had this heavy brute feel.

Quote Originally Posted by fainflinn View Post
    Your armory shows that you dont really have much experience with any content except LFR
    you have no heroic kills even in firelands which was nerfed to the ground.
    How are you basing your competitive DPS with blood spec? Target dummy?

Yes jacking your stats up to do dps will of course increase your dps this isnt theorycrafting this is just common sense.
    The blood spec no matter how you gem.enchant.reforge. does not hold a candle to someone playing unholy/frost with the same ilvl of equal skill
    this... really.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Zeus View Post
    well, thats very interesting that youve decided to go blood dps. i couldnt help but think that its an incredibly selfish thing to do. "i like blood, im playing blood. i try and take extra damage (to stack vengeance) and put added pressure on the healers because i like playing blood, rather than just learning to play a viable dps spec (that does MORE dps and takes LESS dmg)"
    Did you not read the part where he/she explained using DS to bring his/her health back up? Its simple, just tell the healers the intention on taking raid damage, and they should be cool with it unless they have ocd and must keep raid at 100%.

Aside from the fact that the Blood tank spec was put together without much apparent thought (shown by how little "mandatory" talents there are), there's one simple reason why Blood DPS is much better now (relatively):

Vengeance doesn't decay properly, and Vengeance stacks 660% faster than previously. Any time there is an AoE pulse, you will have 100% Vengeance for its entire duration. Any DPS would kill to have an extra 15k AP, especially if it didn't require them to do anything but stand there.

I've tried going Unholy Presence @ Madness heroic and felt that it just didn't work well even with the 20% haste buff and imo there are just too many things that work against blood dps:
    Death Coil is a horrible RP dump - low damage and way too high RP cost.
    There's just no gear for it - lots of dps gear with mastery on it and the last usable set bonus is from t12 2p (either dps or tank set)
    Switching stances removes all rp (makes stance danching while off tanking kind of useless).
    You're dependant on constant damage taken for Vengeance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have had the fortune to have been grouped with 2 blood dps so far. The first one was sometime before 4.1, during the first few months, got him in H HoO. He was bout as geared as the rest of us, a few easy to obtain epics, some 346, some 333 gear, but managed to do a consistent 20k dps. The second was during Brewfest, got him as a dps for Coren Direbrew. He did an amazing 50k dps, probably because of the shortness of the fight + cleave ability.

Blood is an allright dps. The sustained isnt that great compared to Frost or Unholy, but they have the strongest burst dps out of everyone (Essentially +50% more damage for 10 seconds, combined with extremely hard hitting strikes, can easily do 700k in just 10 seconds), as well as superior cleave ability, decent AoE, and superb surviability. A good blood dk can do dps equivalent to or greater then unholy or frost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

well, thats very interesting that youve decided to go blood dps. i couldnt help but think that its an incredibly selfish thing to do. "i like blood, im playing blood. i try and take extra damage (to stack vengeance) and put added pressure on the healers because i like playing blood, rather than just learning to play a viable dps spec (that does MORE dps and takes LESS dmg)"
    I do not take significant additional dmg that 1 DS cannot recoup. A healer doesn't even notice the effect. I do move on fights as needed, unless a shield is up. Normal Ulx, one of the heavest hits, after -50% IBF coupled with AMS = 27K Dmg. I hit DS afterwards and I'm capped again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbojonez View Post
    Three things: 1) I have a hard time believing that any group would kick you if you had competitive/superior rankings on the damage meters to back yourself up. 2) I was with you up to where you started taking about staying in fire for a damage buff. That's irresponsible. It places more strain on the healers (aka, makes someone else's life more difficult). You'd earn a vote kick for that. Heck, maybe that's the real reason you are getting kicked. 3) Another reason you might be getting kicked is the fear that you'd be rolling on tank gear.
    1) I have been kicked even after posting a recount do to an objection. Not where I insulted anyone either. They complained. I say that I am doing dps. I get the usual but blood is tank, or my dps sucks, or dps could be better. I post recount. Coniption fit ensues. Remember, you're dealing with Cata babies who are brainwashed into linear thinking.

2) As I previously stated. I do not take damage that I cannot heal thru or is barely notiable. In a heroic, like on the rogue boss of Hour of Twilight, AMS reduces the dmg to ~200 a tick. I consume a few ticks and move out of it and I'm Veng capped. Remember it considers dmg I -would- have taken, not the amount I do.

3) I explicitly say I am DPS and have no tank off spec when questioned.

I once had two friends with me. One a healer, another DPS. One tank didn't complain or talk at all, there were no issues, but DC after first boss. Maybe he wanted an item only. 2nd tank joined and said he refused to move because I was blood. Not even giving it a chance. We had to wait 10min to kick him. The hissy fit he gave... oh boy.

---------- Post added 2012-03-10 at 09:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fainflinn View Post
    Your armory shows that you dont really have much experience with any content except LFR
    you have no heroic kills even in firelands which was nerfed to the ground.
    How are you basing your competitive DPS with blood spec? Target dummy?

Yes jacking your stats up to do dps will of course increase your dps this isnt theorycrafting this is just common sense.
    The blood spec no matter how you gem.enchant.reforge. does not hold a candle to someone playing unholy/frost with the same ilvl of equal skill
    I actually have done dragonsoul 4/8, 6/8, 8/8, 5/8 PuGs on normal. LFR for 6 Weeks on this character. I had a prior Alliance DK character named Fast from 4.2 - 4.3. I erased it to make a Horde DK. I currently reused the name Fast for my rogue. Sorry that I cannot show you my deleted toon. I don't pay for transfers. That's a different topic.

I have normal Fireland kills in my profile. Only Fast had a few Heroic kills before I switched factions. Sorry I don't have Heroic content this character, created on 1/12 if you would look. Which means I would have to get a team to do old content. Ysera server is notoriously bad about that. There's only a few guilds doing Heroic DS, let alone old Heroic FL. Heck, even after FL got nerfed and I was still on my Ret Paladin there were only a handful of Ysera guilds doing FL. PuGs now to FL are next to non existant. Horde side has is really lacking here, but I enjoy it because of the people I know.

I base my DPS on actual fights with recount. None recorded ot World of Logs yet, to my knowledge. If a guild I PuGed with, outside of my leveling guild did, I don't know about it. The 57K on Madness I took a screenshot of. Since I was happy how competitive it was aganst people in the group at 397+ ilvl (IMO far better gear than me). I have recently moved my DK to a mDPS spot in a raiding guild.

Photo Link
    Your burden of proof is why I do ask to record what people want. It's not to gloat, but to be good and nice enough to inform with results for those interested. I'm going to look into that alternative to fraps mentioned earlier. What encounter may I record for you and what tool?

So far, I understand people wanting World of Logs for the next Normal DS run I do next week.
    Last edited by Tinc Metals; 2012-03-10 at 09:45 PM.

Wouldn't having double of 'normal' AP push secondary stats ahead of strenght? In other words, wouldn't it be worth to gem straight for haste instead of strenght?

Quote Originally Posted by Nivrax View Post
    Wouldn't having double of 'normal' AP push secondary stats ahead of strenght? In other words, wouldn't it be worth to gem straight for haste instead of strenght?
    Why would it? There's no point where an incredible amount of AP increases the worth of secondary stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    Why would it? There's no point where an incredible amount of AP increases the worth of secondary stats.
    Well, considering that AP is kind of the base of your damage, and ratings act as multipliers, under normal circumstances the multipliers are so low (Cata killed ratings, remember t11?) that stacking the primary stats (bases) are the best choice, but when you have an extra 7k+ worth of strength, that boosts ratings by a great amount. Double ap would roughly double the value of ratings, but the primary stats were worth anywhere from 2.5x to 3x ratings point for point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

im curious what would be your priority on secondary stats? mastery would be useless, so the main ones would be haste and crit, the funny thing is that on speculation i see this taking more benefit from crit than frost and unholy... i may be wrong tho.
    Last edited by Valkryx; 2012-03-11 at 08:10 PM.

I'm having trouble understanding why 57k on Madness is a good benchmark for Blood DPS. You have a cooldown perfect to use on every Cataclysm and lots of AoE damage for every Hemmorhage, which will cause you to proc Spellweave a lot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganaza View Post
    Your DPS on loltraxion is only high because DRW has a much shorter cooldown.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/v...&e=1426#Ganaza

45K DPS as blood on LFR Ultraxion, was using my masterfrost gear set without reforging so stats could've been altered for more damage.
    Yeah sure "Blood DPS" is viable when you are tanking and have full vengeance the whole fight....

So it's pretty much useless outside of LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love this idea, was thinking about it myself seeing as I can do 25k+ DPS as a tank. With DPS gear, altered spec and smart use of vengeance, you can really do some crazy DPS. I DPSed as Blood in WotLK and I was usualyl the top DPSer and could always take care of myself with selfheals.
    I. Like. To. Kill. Things.
    For Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    Well, considering that AP is kind of the base of your damage, and ratings act as multipliers, under normal circumstances the multipliers are so low (Cata killed ratings, remember t11?) that stacking the primary stats (bases) are the best choice, but when you have an extra 7k+ worth of strength, that boosts ratings by a great amount. Double ap would roughly double the value of ratings, but the primary stats were worth anywhere from 2.5x to 3x ratings point for point.
    That is my line of thinking. Right now, looking at EJ's Unholy thread, Strenth is worth 3,6p, with haste at 2,5p. The problem is, I'm not sure if there is any tool that allows simulation of Blood dps and their stat ratings. Although I could see it working by creating own priority list (keeping high Runic for boosted DS) and 'just' adding non-existing item with bonus 12k AP or so.

On anything but bleeding edge content, if the person is pulling the numbers mathematically required by them to kill a boss I see no reason to question their play-style. I fail to see how this form of Blood DPS impacts a group in anyway other than making trash frost/unholy DKs look like jokes in comparison, in which case the anger makes sense from them and yourself.

Also, who cares if LFR is his only exp? First off, it's not mechanically different from Normal DS, which is already a joke as it is. I led a pug in day 1 in full S10 gear just trying to get myself Bone Link Fetish. Cleared up to Blackthorn seeing how far we could pull without wiping without touching another raid outside BH this xpac.

He's not holding anyone he's running with back, trust me. If he were blood pulling 20k-30k and was barely competitive at the very low end of the spectrum? I'd agree. But he's not pushing bleeding edge content, and neither are you. Tbh he'd be more than fine clearing the same 8/8 DS with Ultrax/Morchok "hardmodes" as you, and probably more.

Quote Originally Posted by Propainn View Post
    Also, who cares if LFR is his only exp? First off, it's not mechanically different from Normal DS, which is already a joke as it is. I led a pug in day 1 in full S10 gear just trying to get myself Bone Link Fetish. Cleared up to Blackthorn seeing how far we could pull without wiping without touching another raid outside BH this xpac.
    The log he linked was Ultraxion, I was under the impression that there was no Fading Lights in Ultraxion LFR (except for the boss's current target). This would be a clear mechanical difference that increases your DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    I've tried going Unholy Presence @ Madness heroic and felt that it just didn't work well even with the 20% haste buff and imo there are just too many things that work against blood dps:
    Death Coil is a horrible RP dump - low damage and way too high RP cost.
    There's just no gear for it - lots of dps gear with mastery on it and the last usable set bonus is from t12 2p (either dps or tank set)
    Switching stances removes all rp (makes stance danching while off tanking kind of useless).
    You're dependant on constant damage taken for Vengeance.
    Theres no reason not to runestrike on that fight half of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Valkryx View Post
    im curious what would be your priority on secondary stacks? mastery would be useless, so the main ones would be haste and crit, the funny thing is that on speculation i see this taking more benefit from crit than frost and unholy... i may be wrong tho.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2510661474

That should tell you anything you would want to know.