Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    Well yes there's an overarching story of course. Don't forget that a big aspect of the game is your personal storyline that involve decision making on your part. Your storyline is naturally inscribed in a much larger story. You can read on the lore of the game and the context of GW2 within the vast history of Tyria by visiting the official wiki.
    Just to be a little more specific to the question, the 'main boss' of the base game will be Zhaitan, one of the 5 elder dragons. The most basic version of the GW2 story is "The elder dragons are waking up. Do something before they destroy the world."

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Just to be a little more specific to the question, the 'main boss' of the base game will be Zhaitan, one of the 5 elder dragons. The most basic version of the GW2 story is "The elder dragons are waking up. Do something before they destroy the world."
    Yep Just didn't want to spoil it for him.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    Well yes there's an overarching story of course. Don't forget that a big aspect of the game is your personal storyline that involve decision making on your part. Your storyline is naturally inscribed in a much larger story. You can read on the lore of the game and the context of GW2 within the vast history of Tyria by visiting the official wiki.

---------- Post added 2012-03-16 at 12:32 PM ----------

Umm, skills and elites you have to actually unlock. The only thing you got right is the gear. You don't just get all abilities while leveling, you have to go and unlock them.
    Then most likely GW2 would finish for me the moment I unlocked the last skill.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread has completely thrown me..on the one hand I dont have time for another major timesink like wow, where there is a requirement to log in every day to remain relelvant on the multitude of characters on the other I love gearing my main and alts and seeing that jump from ilvl 372 to 397 :S So technically I could level from 1-80 and not play for a year come back and still be completely relevant, that blows my mind a litttle...I think you may have convinced me to at least invest in this game even if i dont dedicate my life to it like wow.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    This thread has completely thrown me..on the one hand I dont have time for a major timesink like wow, where there is a requirement to log in every day to remain relelvant on the multitude of characters on the other I love gearing my main and alts and seeing that jump from ilvl 372 to 397 :S So technically I could level from 1-80 and not play for a year come back and still be completely relevant, that blows my mind a litttle...I think you may have convinced me to at least invest in this game even if i dont dedicate my life to it like wow.
    Have you thought about investing in non-MMO games instead?
    You said you don't like having to farm and grind to stay "relevant". But that's how MMOs work. They are supposed to keep you playing for a long time, so many things simply take a lot of time, so that you don't get them too fast. And being "relevant" comes from the competition with other players.
    Single player games have none. And no idiots / griefers to deal with
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by purefury View Post
    that isnt what im concerned about. i DONT look for hard content, but 'upgrade my character' content.
    im sure i will enjoy playing GW2 for a time, but what i will enjoy most until max level, will be the 'dings'...
    i have around 500days /played in WoW, i did almost everything there is and ever was to do, grinded rank13, raided 40mans, listened to audiobooks while farming 200k gold from ore, maxed professions, played alts, fished for hours, hated myself for playing too much, gathered >100 mounts and pets, etc. etc.
    i also did many achievements and ALL quests in game before AND after cataclysm.

but to do that, most important was guild chat and guild raids. i would quit wow if i didnt had the 40man raids in the first year, and while i did scholomance and ubrs hundred times, i never cared to get 'friends' in there. 5 mans are just anti social. never seen ppl willing to talk instead of finishing last boss fast.

so should i expect GW2 to just be great fun for 6months, or something that ill enjoy logging for years to talk with guildies while i check auction house or farm materials?
    Gratz on all the achievements
    But you can't judge GW2s 5 mans like wows. Those armor sets are going to be damn hard to get. They just as special as the raid tears. The dungeons are just desgined around totally difference precepts. Anyone not talking in them will die. They won't be zergfests.
    Plus...the cooperative nature of DEs, and tbh the game in general, will promote friendships. So...it will be necessary to talk in dungeons...and u will develop friendships, both in there and out in the world...because there's nothing that makes u dislike seeing another player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    You said you don't like having to farm and grind to stay "relevant". But that's how MMOs work. They are supposed to keep you playing for a long time, so many things simply take a lot of time, so that you don't get them too fast. And being "relevant" comes from the competition with other players.
    I actually said i dont have time for ANOTHER timesink im quite happy with wow (working on another loremaster :P).

WoW's endgame forces you to run the same raid week in and week out. GW2's endgame lets you do all of its content week in and week out. You come to realize how big a game WoW is and how much of it you dont actually play. Then you look at a game like GW2 which will be big but will also let you play all of it no matter what level you are.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh I hate how wow has become the industry standard. People need to learn to think outside the box a bit.

Really, ask any wow player why they think rift, swtor etc are failures (not saying they actually are but..) and they will all tell you it's because they're wow clones. And yet when a game comes out that dares to challenge the same old tiresome formula they complain that it doesn't have wows raids. Wtf do you people want?

GW2 is being designed to avoid as many griefer opportunities as physically possible, and is being designed to avoid as many possible time sinks as they can. It may be 'how MMOs work' but that doesn't mean it's how MMOs HAVE to work. Like the holy trinity, for example. Almost every MMO may have it, but that doesn't make it NECESSARY to the genre.

I guess I'm kind of confused. If you are always a relevant level to the content you are doing, what is the point of having levels at all? Why don't you just make a character and play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Klog View Post
    I guess I'm kind of confused. If you are always a relevant level to the content you are doing, what is the point of having levels at all? Why don't you just make a character and play it.
    They originally wanted to have no levels, early in the planning stages, but had a fear that most MMO players would feel lost going around just playing to have fun with no goal.

Then most likely GW2 would finish for me the moment I unlocked the last skill.
    I don't understand your perspective when you have a SC2 signature. Did you stop playing SC2 after the campaign?
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This thread has completely thrown me..on the one hand I dont have time for another major timesink like wow, where there is a requirement to log in every day to remain relelvant on the multitude of characters on the other I love gearing my main and alts and seeing that jump from ilvl 372 to 397 :S So technically I could level from 1-80 and not play for a year come back and still be completely relevant, that blows my mind a litttle...I think you may have convinced me to at least invest in this game even if i dont dedicate my life to it like wow.
    You should play gw2 with us. You wont be disappointed!

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 is being designed to avoid as many griefer opportunities as physically possible, and is being designed to avoid as many possible time sinks as they can. It may be 'how MMOs work' but that doesn't mean it's how MMOs HAVE to work. Like the holy trinity, for example. Almost every MMO may have it, but that doesn't make it NECESSARY to the genre.
    exactly which is why i said this thread blew my mind a little..it just intrigues me enough to make me want to at least see what its all about, before i read this i was like GW2 wow clone bb :P I wont quit wow, but this could be a nice little side attraction for me mainly because of the points you raised. About to try tera online bata, 2 hours to go, but that to me smells of grind, which is fine if i didnt have wow. If people play GW2 do you think they will talk about wow incessantly in chat like they do on rift?
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-03-16 at 01:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This right here. Just because games like WOW,Rift,SWTOR,Aion etc. make you grind for whatever you want in the game, doesn't mean it's necessary to make the game good. GW2 (and GW1 for that matter) isn't about grinding for gear. It's about doing fun stuff with friends.

When I ran 'the deep' (a 12-man instance in GW1) I didn't do it for the 1 chest that dropped at the end, I did it because it's a great experience. When I ran underworld with friends, I did it because the zone is awesome, even though I probably only got 1 ecto the entire run.

Sure you could grind for gear in GW1, and I did, with 2 obsidian armors to show for it. However, that was not the reason for playing the game. Another example for this is the campaigns. When a new campaign released, even though everyone had max level characters, they still did all the new missions because they're fun. Even though technically, there was next to nothing to gain from them.

---------- Post added 2012-03-16 at 02:06 PM ----------

exactly which is why i said this thread blew my mind a little..it just intrigues me enough to make me want to at least see what its all about, before i read this i was like GW2 wow clone bb :P I wont quit wow, but this could be a nice little side attraction for me mainly because of the points you raised. About to try tera online bata, 2 hours to go, but that to me smells of grind, which is fine if i didnt have wow. If people play GW2 do you think they will talk about wow incessantly in chat like they do on rift?
    People will always talk about wow in every new MMO, we'll have to deal with it

If you want more info on gw2, check the sticky (mass info). It will explain just how different GW2 will be from wow

Also, since you're apparently new here, welcome to the gw2 subforum
    Last edited by jvbastel; 2012-03-16 at 01:06 PM.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    WoW's endgame forces you to run the same raid week in and week out. GW2's endgame lets you do all of its content week in and week out. You come to realize how big a game WoW is and how much of it you dont actually play. Then you look at a game like GW2 which will be big but will also let you play all of it no matter what level you are.
    Another thing to add to this...

Everything about GW2 is to bring characters into the world. Just look at how much content in the big MMOs is just obsolete and pointless once you out level it. The world is empty except for a leveler here and there. Once you get to a certain point in the game the only thing you're left with is raiding, and you gotta admit, it does get old doing the same exact thing for months at a time.

Except for dungeons, all of GW2s content is out in the world, and no matter what level you are it's relevant since you get scaled down. There's a wide variety of dynamic events throughout all levels, you aren't forced to do the same exact thing and the same exact encounters for months at a time. You get to choose the content you want to do, whenever you want to do it.

So many people complain about Blizz not bringing the world back into world of warcraft...well...someone else is doing it instead, and on a more evolved and in-depth level.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-16 at 01:17 PM.

I kinda want to compare it to a Battlefield type progression system.

Select loadout (profession). Grind up the various guns for all of their attachments (skills). Select the earnable camo/color load outs. Gain massive amounts of skill with drop shotting (lol Operation Firestorm). Then make my avatar look like a BAMF. Once I'm done with recon, move on to assault.

That a good way to look at it? If so, I'm so darn excited I can barely contain it.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I don't understand your perspective when you have a SC2 signature. Did you stop playing SC2 after the campaign?
    SC2 is a RTS, it's different type of the game :/
    I can't see the connection

SC2 is a RTS, it's different type of the game :/
    I can't see the connection
    The point was that you can obviously play games without a gear grind, why is it suddenly an issue if said game has the "MMO" tag slapped on it.
    If you can do things for fun in other games, why can you not in an MMO, and NEED to be rewarded?

Could have found a different way to point this fact out, but I think that's the point he was trying to make.