I was exciting and disappointed when I read up on that and I wish I participated.

These strange spooky conspiracy things is what I strive for.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    Let me guess Illuminati?
    hehe YEP! Lumies 4 life!

Anyone have a video or article of what happens with the Illuminati stater zone?

I'll dig one up here in a few. Still at work.

edit:

Here is a good collection of some videos released today: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...0&feature=plcp

Can't find the Illuminati one right off-hand. It's pretty old and it wasn't very long.
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-03-15 at 09:05 PM.

Massively.com: Is The Secret World a sandbox MMO?

Is TSW a sandbox MMO?
    by Zephyrus
    In an article released today by Massively's Some Assembly Required asked is The Secret World a sandbox MMO?

Is it a sandbox, though? - Massively

This was something I've wanted to talk about for a little while now and with some of the recent comments on the forums, this is the perfect time for me to put my two cents in and answer that very question. Let's first take a look at what types of MMOs there are.

Sandbox MMO: A sandbox MMO is basically an MMO where the developers give you a very wide range to decide who, what and how your character or game is played. Think EVE and Wurm Online. EVE explains sandbox MMO in this interesting game trailer and Wurm describes itself saying it is "limitless opportunity and freedom, where the actions of each player can make a lasting difference."

Themepark MMO: A themepark MMO is just that. When you go to a theme park, everything is laid out by the developers. Your only true choice is what to ride on and when. The best example of this is World of Warcraft. You are given choices of class and spec but they the options within those are predefined by the developers. These games while limiting in who, what or how your character develops aren't bad games, they are just highly developed games.

With those defined, let's look at which of the two The Secret World falls into with some basic questions from a "list of what makes a good sandbox MMO".

Can choose to be friend or enemies of anyone? To some extent yes. In PvE, you can talk to or not talk to any other player. You can't work for the NPC's out of your faction but you can work with another faction player toward a goal they have. A work around to be able to help out another faction but there isn't anything like different languages or barriers keeping you from interacting with another faction. Just the opposite is true also. You do not ever have to help anyone outside your faction. The same can be applied into PvE. You can choose to support a friend (in your faction or not) or you can choose to mercilessly kill them repeatedly. (*ahem* Watch out Mal *wink*)

Can you craft many things out of many things? From what's been recently released about, yes. You will be able to take things apart and make new things and the crafting system here is pretty freaking amazing. The complexity and simplistic nature all rolled into one is ... amazing. Really, I can't say that enough. It looks really cool. It allows for you to make your own way down the path rather than a trainer teaching you the way to make it.

Is there developer based quests and stories in the game? Yes. First let's just talk about this in general terms. There are mission quests, ranking quests, investigation quests and found object quests in the game. These are all designed by the developers and lead you down the path they want you to see. This is the very definition of a themepark design. Also falling into this line of developer driven quest or storyline is the Dragons introduction released from GDC, there is scene in which you have no control over it happening or not and contains some sexual nature. This is the foundation of the Dragons and is not something you can change, stop or alter from happening. This does not only apply to the Dragons. The Templars have a gentleman (if you wanna call him that) who plays with your mind using old magics and hypnotism and the Illuminati give you drugs (not the medical kind) and put a chip in your back. You have no control over these actions. They are what the developers want to have happen and we cannot change that, which is the opposite of a sandbox MMO.

Can you battle any way you want or can you define the characteristics of your character and change it during the game? Yes. At the heart of The Secret World, this is what makes it a sandbox MMO. You may not have control over the development of your characters story but you can control how you fight. You can change this anywhere and at anytime (provided you are not in combat). This has nothing to do with the storyline, quests or missions that your character must go through to progress in the games story. We have to fight the confusion of these two things.

Will you have a say on the economy? I believe so, if there is an auction house (trading post?) you will be able to have a say in how the economy is set. Of course there there will also be themepark elements in what is purchased at vendors but for anything broken down by crafting or looted from mobs, you should be able to set the market price for.

Will you be able to travel anywhere in the world and explore any area? Yes, you will be able to go to any area after finishing the Tokyo Flashback starter area. There won't be any level restrictions or requirements to go into another area. The only restriction currently is for PvP that you will not be able to enter warzones until you are a specific rank. Without open world PvP this is very limiting and less of a sandbox element they were hoping for.

There are some things we will have to wait and see about such as: will you be able to change the world or spaces around you and all other players will be able to see the changes and can you change the look and appearance of your avatar any way you want and any time you want during the game play? I think as we draw closer to the release of the game a lot of our ideal situations will have to be toned down and accept the reality of the game.

Back to the question at hand, is The Secret World a Sandbox MMO? In the pure definition of the term, no. It is the sandboxyist of the themepark MMOs which I think creates a great balance between having developer interaction and giving freedom to play your character in ways that you want. We are able define ourselves in terms of our powers, faction and alliances within the community but are still required to participate in developers quests and story lines. Which let's face it are some of the most imaginative in the MMO world right now so who's complaining there!
    Last edited by bcbully; 2012-03-19 at 01:15 AM.

The Secret World GDC 2012. 35 minutes of goodness :)

Make sure you check out the Ability Wheel, and crafting. This is my first real look at crafting, and it's off the charts.
    Last edited by bcbully; 2012-03-19 at 08:14 PM.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    It had been a while since I looked into TSW. I love a lot of the ideas in this game, modern mmo with a "pick n' choose" abilities (similar to RPG platformers) with very aesthetically pleasing factions. But, I must say I'm disappointed they're on the old sub based business model. :S I hope either they change that after launch or I get to a place in my life where I can play sub based mmo's again because this game looks very intriguing.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

I wish the graphics were a bit better. Looks sorta old/out dated.

Everything else so far seems pretty neat though.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I wish the graphics were a bit better. Looks sorta old/out dated.

Everything else so far seems pretty neat though.

really? I thought the graphics in the latest videos (including the gdc walk through) looked great!

Quote Originally Posted by Melanieshaman View Post
    really? I thought the graphics in the latest videos (including the gdc walk through) looked great!
    The environmental graphics are wonderful. The human graphics/textures are... umm... "plasticky". Especially the faces. I don't like it. Mass Effect does a better job, and that's on console.

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    The environmental graphics are wonderful. The human graphics/textures are... umm... "plasticky". Especially the faces. I don't like it. Mass Effect does a better job, and that's on console.
    It's my only beef. Characters look like dolls, spell casting graphics and animations are pretty simple and I fear that character customization will be less then what we think (where the fuck is my chainsaw?)

I agree about the character models. They look so... idk. There's no texture to the skins at all. Makes them look plastic.

Deleted
    its has EA Stamped all over it and looks really consolely

Its just DCUO -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    I agree about the character models. They look so... idk. There's no texture to the skins at all. Makes them look plastic.
    These are beta textures.

Basically.

Non-Linear > Linear.

If this game turns out to be Linear. FFFFFFFFFFFF It's a garbage PoS waste of time.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by MorTvicR View Post
    its has EA Stamped all over it and looks really consolely

Its just DCUO -
    Nooot so fast. Funcom is an independent developer. Let me show how this works.

SW:TOR - EA went to BioWare to develop SWTOR. They fronted the bill and called the shots, distributed the boxes, and published the game.

The Secret World - Funcom payed their own development cost, and called their own design shots. Funcom then went to EA for distribution. Funcom & EA signed a CO-publishing deal. Funcom owns "The Secret World" IP

Funcom and TSW have a very different set up than that of BW, EA & swtor, and than that of Blizzard, Activision and WoW.
    Here is the article talking about it.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ification.html
    ---------- Post added 2012-03-20 at 09:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv_ View Post
    Basically.

Non-Linear > Linear.

If this game turns out to be Linear. FFFFFFFFFFFF It's a garbage PoS waste of time.
    The faction story arc is linear, but you don't have to do the story. Once you are done with the starting area, you can go and do as you please.

The TSW story is not linear. That's were the fun come in
    Last edited by bcbully; 2012-03-20 at 09:43 PM.

The story arc is linear, but you don't have to do the story. Once you are done with the starting area, you can go and do as you please.
    Stats are still vertical though. So eventually it'll come to zone 1 being outgeared and zone 2 not geared enough then eventually zone 2 will be out geared and so on.

Even nightmare mode dungeons will be out geared eventually. It's not like GW2 where at max level stats are horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Stats are still vertical though. So eventually it'll come to zone 1 being outgeared and zone 2 not geared enough then eventually zone 2 will be out geared and so on.

Even nightmare mode dungeons will be out geared eventually. It's not like GW2 where at max level stats are horizontal.
    From what I've read, the endgame game gear stops growing vertically and becomes more specialized to fit builds. Could be mistaken though.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

No, no you wont Once you leave the starting area you can go and kill whatever. It maybe harder for you do to a lake of abilities though, but not due to a lack of gear

Horizontal progression is the meat of the game not so much vertical.

---------- Post added 2012-03-20 at 10:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    From what I've read, the endgame game gear stops growing vertically and becomes more specialized to fit builds. Could be mistaken though.
    You got it and said it very well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like all I've seen about the game so far except for the combat, the whole no class thing is probably one of the better Ideas this game has though.