Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Has there been official details released about all of this yet, or are we still speculating?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcrae View Post
    There's too much entitlement in MMO's these days, it seems that cheating is preferable to working for your rewards.

I will quite happily work towards anything I desire. As long as I enjoy playing the game then time spent earning rewards is preferable to spending my cash in the shop (I'll save my cash for character slots etc). I'm not bothered about being a special snowflake who gets an item first so I can tell you now I see no reason why anyone should bot.
    You did start your post with the reason why people would bot:
    "There's too much entitlement in MMO's these days, it seems that cheating is preferable to working for your rewards."
    Remember?

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 12:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    There was a huge problem with botting back in the early days of gw1 (elona's reach and droknar's forge used to be full of bot monks)
    However, they banned a HUGE amount of bots in several waves. I don't know how it is now, but they were pretty strict when it came to botting so I imagine it will be the same in GW2.

Now in GW2, if you want to buy gold, you have 2 options:

1- Buy gems directly from arenanet, safely and legally.
    2- Buy gold or gems from a bot, risking a ban/scam.

If there is ever a problem with the system arenanet implements, it will be because of the playerbase, because the system itself is fair, does not promote botting, and is not pay2win whatsoever.
    how does it not promote botting, if the rare items cost tons of gold or a small amount of gems? It's a matter of time, and majority of people wont be willing to open their real life wallet, but they still dont want to spend time gathering and farming in game... because most likely it will take a huge amount of time (and they might have limited time to spend). Botting solves the problem with gathering mats for example, you dont need to manually walk around and pick those herbs.
    ANet gains from this ofc, because unless people want to bot or spend most of their gaming time gathering golds they need to open wallet. And the dollars are pouring down their pockets.

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 12:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cobblars View Post
    Has there been official details released about all of this yet, or are we still speculating?
    They just said their systems will reduce problem with bots and goldsellers. I'm discussing that it's the opposite thinking twice about it. To me it's obvious players will probably more likely bot in this game than many others, just because prices will be high if you want to buy them ingame instead of real cash. I can't see why it shouldn't be. In other games you either buy it in a cash shop or ingame most of the time, that's why prices are stable. Since they talk about opening wallet will save you time as well, you might also take that as a hint that farming and buy for gold will take longer. I think it will be much longer and I also mentioned earlier what difficulty an ordinary player might have while trying to get their gold.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    cut
    /dipping cookie in the coffee

Your arguments about botting without any idea on how games/netcode or bot programs actually work are amusing me ^_^.

/dips another cookie

So yeah, please go on and ignore all the technological aspects of this matter - I mean, it's not like they are relevant...
    /nom nom

Amuse me more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post

Your arguments about botting without any idea on how games/netcode or bot programs actually work are amusing me ^_^.

/dips another cookie

So yeah, please go on and ignore all the technological aspects of this matter - I mean, it's not like they are relevant...
    /nom nom

Amuse me more.
    Well, as far as I'm concerned it seems like they manage to make bots for all games, and adapt bots to overcome difficulties. What wouldn't be possible to do in this game Mr Botprogrammingexpert. Instead of munching cookies enlighten us or I grab that plate out of your hands and munch even more :P

They just said their systems will reduce problem with bots and goldsellers. I'm discussing that it's the opposite thinking twice about it. To me it's obvious players will probably more likely bot in this game than many others, just because prices will be high if you want to buy them ingame instead of real cash. I can't see why it shouldn't be. In other games you either buy it in a cash shop or ingame most of the time, that's why prices are stable. Since they talk about opening wallet will save you time as well, you might also take that as a hint that farming and buy for gold will take longer. I think it will be much longer and I also mentioned earlier what difficulty an ordinary player might have while trying to get their gold.
    If prices are high ... farming stuff that you sell for money will earn you more money, thus negate the high prices. And botting in ANET games, I dare you to try ... nothing more fun than to have account you spent $200 dollars and 1000 hours on banned. Big reaper appears and bam you just lost everything.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post

/dips another cookie

/nom nom

Amuse me more.
    No matter what system you implement, no matter what code you add, programmers will always find a way around it. The only way to stop bots, is to prevent them from being able to provide a better service than you.

I'd like to see your credentials since you seem to think you're so high and mighty. How many bot programs have you wrote? How many "netcodes" have you written to stop them. You're just as clueless as the rest of us, and for whatever reason are trying to take a stance on an issue that you don't have a clue about either.

I mean, I'd be willing to bet real life money, that there will be plenty of bots in GW2. And no matter what fixes they try to add, there will be work-arounds for them.

Sure there will be penalties for those caught botting, but revenue usually outweighs the loss for these china farmers.
    Last edited by Vishiz; 2012-03-21 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishiz View Post
    Sure there will be penalties for those caught botting, but revenue usually outweighs the loss for these china farmers.
    Why would you buy money from gold sellers and rish getting banned when ANET lets you indirectly buy it legally. That would be one dumb MMO gamer if he used that way.

Deleted
    Silly question , but bots count as addons ?
    The:
    <<<Inde> Will Arenanet allow and encourage development of add-ons since they have become so popular and integral in MMO's now?
    <@[ANet]EricFlannum> We won't be allowing people to mod the game itself directly no. We feel that this encourages people to play the game in such a way that gives them an unfair advatage over those who don't use mods. However we understand that many people enjoy modding games and are looking into ways for people to build things for the game in other ways. We'll have more information on this sometime next year.>>

Will help for the time , being ?

Edit: Looking in the google , a bot program must be <<paste> , into ur addon-folder
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-03-21 at 12:10 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    If prices are high ... farming stuff that you sell for money will earn you more money, thus negate the high prices. And botting in ANET games, I dare you to try ... nothing more fun than to have account you spent $200 dollars and 1000 hours on banned. Big reaper appears and bam you just lost everything.
    Unless the box will be cheaper in a bit, one time sum for additional accounts open for botting. I'm not sure how game codes will work but for BF3 for example they managed to hack those as well. Botting chars don't have to be your main and most people won't spend 200 dollars on the game and the ones who do are more likely to buy cash shop items than bot anyway.

I think it would be a great idea if they not only GAVE you an authenticator, but REQUIRED it to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGX View Post
    I think it would be a great idea if they not only GAVE you an authenticator, but REQUIRED it to play the game.
    I think mobile version would be nice enough. It's not like gold seller will steal your phone to hack your acc.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Someone in this thread kindly mentioned the MAJOR difference between wow and gw2, no sub.
    Now, with 'no sub' in mind, consider that if you are perma-banned, the only way to play is to buy a new copy.
    With that said, the obvious choice for Anet is to ban. If they enjoy profit, and companies usually do, and they aren't risking revenue, they are forcing repeat offenders to be repeat purchasers.
    I am so looking forward to the stream of threads "qq I got banned from gw2".
    Seriously.
    I. Can't. Wait.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vishiz View Post
    cut
    cut
    I've already wrote everything on the first page. But since both of you refuse to actually read through a topic before posting - what can I do ^_^. Oh the youngsters these days, so impatient.

As I wrote earlier - yes, there will be bots in GW2. Only their "objective" will change. Programming full autonomic Bot (farming in high lvl areas) for GW2 considering all the GAMEPLAY conditions (that's even without considering ANY Anet's anti-bot measures) might not be feasible or such program might never be perfected.

I'm foreseeing marketplace bots to bloom though.

A note about WoW bots: currently, most if not all companies that deal with gold selling/leveling services actually have their own software, they don't use the bot programs you can buy for few bucks. Botting in WoW at this very moment is virtually undetectable if use with caution - floating above the city WILL get you reported though :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    I think mobile version would be nice enough. It's not like gold seller will steal your phone to hack your acc.
    Whatever gets the job done. Honestly, I'm surprised that all MMO-type games don't require them at this point, with botting and hacking being such a problem.

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 07:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Someone in this thread kindly mentioned the MAJOR difference between wow and gw2, no sub.
    Now, with 'no sub' in mind, consider that if you are perma-banned, the only way to play is to buy a new copy.
    With that said, the obvious choice for Anet is to ban. If they enjoy profit, and companies usually do, and they aren't risking revenue, they are forcing repeat offenders to be repeat purchasers.
    Seriously.
    I. Can't. Wait.
    No kidding

Reporting people in WoW was like a sport for me, mostly because I hated the people in WoW. I think the ticket/report system in GW2 will be a second game.

Deleted
    The Authenticator should come in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Seriously.
    I. Can't. Wait.
    I am looking forward to the videos Hope ANET will do reaper again.

@ Original Poster

You are horribly wrong on this. All these "Epic" items that your talking about are not Super upgrades. All items are bought with either Karma or gold, Karma is untradeable and yes you do have to grind events/dungeons to get more karma. Karma rewards are very good. Now lets think about items obtained through gold. These are either items people got from mob drops, something that a cash shop user does not benefit from, and items created through the random item creation system from crafting.

You cannot buy "Epic" weapons from the CS. Everything is cosmetic.

Alot of good looking armor and weapons comes from explorable mode dungeons from all levels and those are purchased with a dungeon currency you get after completing the dungeon.

Your way off base on your post.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    @ Original Poster

You are horribly wrong on this. All these "Epic" items that your talking about are not Super upgrades. All items are bought with either Karma or gold, Karma is untradeable and yes you do have to grind events/dungeons to get more karma. Karma rewards are very good. Now lets think about items obtained through gold. These are either items people got from mob drops, something that a cash shop user does not benefit from, and items created through the random item creation system from crafting.

You cannot buy "Epic" weapons from the CS. Everything is cosmetic.

Alot of good looking armor and weapons comes from explorable mode dungeons from all levels and those are purchased with a dungeon currency you get after completing the dungeon.

Your way off base on your post.
    Am I really?
    This is taken from the blog:
    "We have a new player-driven market that allows players to trade gold for gems and gems for gold. If you want something, whether it’s an in-game item or a microtransaction, you ultimately have two ways to get it: you can play to earn gold or you can use money to buy gems."

I understand it no other way that all items except karma ones you can buy or sell for gold or gems.

can someone explain to me on why to buy gold from a gold farmer?
    Since you can buy the gems why not buy from them and re-sell them in a good price?If the player market is healthy go and sell them IF not wait for the rates to be reasonable to sell them...why on a game where you can buy gold from other players in a legal way to go the other way and buy it illegal?Unless the gold its dirt cheap to buy like half the price of the player market why should you even do that?Remember they trying to copy EVE's PLEX so eventually players will be making the decisions.

As for bots well of course its possible since there is no PVP taking into account the fact that you can find a spot and keep farming it with out a problem(players killing you or stealing your nodes/kills)will make boting easier.The bottom line about bots is the way ANET will handle them...i assume they will ban bots all the time(which is good for them since people that have bots will have to re-buy the game if they want to play)
    The war versus the bots in MMOs is entirely on the hands of the given company.

Deleted
    The only reason to buying gold from a farmer is if they sell the gold cheaper then buying and selling games, wich it probably would be.