Thread: Ranger Question

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Ranger Question

Is the Ranger a similar concept to the Hunter of WoW and not so much a stand alone archer from Rift?

10+ Year Old Account
    Rangers are warriors with leather, different weapon setups with an emphasis on mobilit, and they have pets

It's silly to compare them to any equivalent mmo class in the last 8 years bc there is no comparison yes they have 3 ranged weapons but they also have sword and great sword as weapons

It's like calling thieves a melee only class even though they have shortbow and pistols
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-03-22 at 01:29 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Inaru View Post
    Is the Ranger a similar concept to the Hunter of WoW and not so much a stand alone archer from Rift?
    Err.. couldn't that question have been worded "Do the rangers have pets"?
    Yes, the rangers have pets.
    They are also just as viable in melee as ranged.

I'm pretty intrigued by the class itself, since I favour ranged combat though preferably when it involves strategy. I like providing cover fire and being a nuisance to enemies, so am I right in thinking that the ranger is the 'best' for that particular niche? I don't mind the odd bit of melee combat when needed, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelheim View Post
    I'm pretty intrigued by the class itself, since I favour ranged combat though preferably when it involves strategy. I like providing cover fire and being a nuisance to enemies, so am I right in thinking that the ranger is the 'best' for that particular niche? I don't mind the odd bit of melee combat when needed, either.
    Realistically, you can do that with any class.
    Every class has at least one ranged weapon that are meant to be just as viable as their melee weapons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelheim View Post
    warrior, ranger, thief, engi all have strong martial ranged options

in other words: it doesnt matter, pick one of those professions based on the overarcing playstyle

the warrior is more of a turret kind of ranged with the adrenal burst skills, ranger is alot more mobile and has their pet, thief goes a bit with ranger but has a bit more debilitation and their stealth options. engineer is...engineer. area control, utility, general bullshittery
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-03-22 at 05:52 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    warrior, ranger, thief, engi all have strong martial ranged options

in other words: it doesnt matter, pick one of those professions based on the overarcing playstyle

the warrior is more of a turret kind of ranged with the adrenal burst skills, ranger is alot more mobile and has their pet, thief goes a bit with ranger but has a bit more debilitation and their stealth options. engineer is...engineer. area control, utility, general bullshittery
    How is a warrior a turret kind of ranged?
    It's not like you can't move while casting. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    How is a warrior a turret kind of ranged?
    It's not like you can't move while casting. :P
    their moves put less emphasis on moving when compared to rangers and thieves. the other gameplay difference is their burst skill, the style is more aggressive

rangers, esp shortbow rangers are more like skirmishing, crip shot, quick shot and conc shot. many attacks set up combos (not CPCs) for your pet. for longbow you might use PBS but to get more out of LRS you still need to move out during that KB to gain more distance. also the ranger can attack at ranged and gain support skills from torch or horn, or grab a dagger for more control while you kite and axe them

rangers def, at least to me, seem to require alot more finesse

...they need to give them 2h hammers so i can remake a bunny thumper... o well GS will do
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-03-22 at 06:08 PM.
    The Original Ganksta