Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Never said we rule women specifically. And I guess I should have worded myself better, but I meant most of the top jobs like ceos, senators, governors, etc etc are taken by men. Saying "rule" was more of a hyperbole, but oh well.
    oh ok, you see here i thought what you meant was that men have an advantage when what you REALLY meant was that the top 1% happen to be all men but the rest of us aren't exactly "on top"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

The answer is simple. Men may make the majority of the income in this country, but women do most of the spending. You want your ads to get the most bang for your buck, typically you should be appealing to women.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    oh ok, you see here i thought what you meant was that men have an advantage when what you REALLY meant was that the top 1% happen to be all men but the rest of us aren't exactly "on top"
    pretty much.

I have noticed this too and I feel it is because men are the only thing left it is " okay to joke about" without anyone getting offended.

You're looking into it way too much. They might be showing them from a certain angle that makes them look dumb, (that ride off a ramp looked fun, am I an idiot for thinking that?) but none of those ads are really portraying men as plain dumbasses.

Being a white male still grants quite the advantage in today's world so I'm willing to take some flak in exchange for unearned privileges.

Just... stop watching TV.

And find other human beings who don't watch TV.

And live a happy, unbrainwashed, unbiased life.

what we? I don't rule anything and I certainly don't "rule" over women.
    No but you don't get pulled over for the color of your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Zamfix View Post
    Being a white male still grants quite the advantage in today's world so I'm willing to take some flak in exchange for unearned privileges.
    Being a white male doesn't grant an advantage everywhere, it just grants an advantage in more places overall. Those of us who aren't getting an advantage don't appreciate being made out to be a buffoon.

That said, one of the videos in the OP doesn't even make the guy look stupid.

Neither do you.

i'm black hahaha

besides this is about men versus women, not white vs other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Because who gives a shit that's why.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think they are portrayed as being stupid, but more like childish, and that's fine by me, it's light humour and makes me laugh, it may seem different to other people, like certain women may look at it and think 'yeah, men are stupid'.

Men are immature (replace with stupid)
    Women are uptight (replace with sanctimonious)
    That's the usual generalizations from British commercials.
    The Allies would've definitely lost World War II if the Horde had taken part

Because sexism goes both ways, and it's easier to get away with it if you target men.

From personal experience, men are much better at taking a joke or insult than most women. I can only guess as to why, but I'd think it would have to do with all the ragging men do on each other.

(And yes, those are wide, sweeping generalizations. Sue me.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcho View Post
    Just... stop watching TV.

And find other human beings who don't watch TV.

And live a happy, unbrainwashed, unbiased life.
    If you want such a life, I would suggest you completely forgo any form of popular mass communication altogether. The internet is no better for unbiased reporters than television is, even when you're not limited to news that only outlets in your country report on.

Quote Originally Posted by xenaros View Post
    like certain women may look at it and think 'yeah, men are stupid'.
    I have to admit, that made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    There seems to be a trend with a majority of commercials.
    You just answered. Most products advertised on TV are aimed at women. The idea is "If you buy that you're superior to men."
    Have you ever argued with a woman? You simply can't win, no matter how right you are and how hard you rub it on her face, you simply cannot win.
    That's what woman care for. Pride untouched, understand showing superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Ill try to say this in the least demeaning way to women as I can but.

Do you REALLY think that the males of this species will ever be degraded to a victorian level of respect akin to women in those days. Or that guys will be the ones on the recieving end of "get back in the kitchen" jokes. No disrespect to anyone but its just not going to happen.
    You mean being forced to go to war was all that dandy (and it still happens)?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Lol those videos you posted are the exact same videos i have said this about with a friend of mine. Truth be told, a lot of men are that stupid.
    Are lot of women are that stupid as well. I don't see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    there is sexism in advertisement. suck it up. do you think women enjoy seeing ourselves portrayed as people who do nothing but mop floors, cook, do laundry, or get naked to sell things to men?
    You mean stuff that hasn't been shown in the last 30-or-so years? You were probably not even alive back then.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2012-03-28 at 04:17 AM.

Wow, really? Males pretty much rule the world in almost every aspect, and you're letting something like this twist your panties?

Grow a pair and toughen up.

Post respectfully. - Dacien
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-03-28 at 03:06 PM.

I think the idea behind it is that stupidity is humor. Women in sitcoms are usually ditzy and overly emotional, and easily able to read and play men but have no common sense, whereas men have more common sense but are goofy and completely clueless on women. These are traits that definitely come from real life (which is what makes them funny) but as with everything else in comedy, they are greatly exaggerated. Commercials are no different, so pay it no mind.

Women also (for some reason) find it endearing when men are naive or behave outrageously, which is why this is so common on television. The same applies for why women are always really hot and sexualized there; because that is what men want to see from them. Again, greatly exaggerated and somewhat demeaning on both sides, not just ours.

10+ Year Old Account
    because making fun of men is not sexist in any way and appeals to the women who massively eat that shit up.
    daaaaaaaauuum u nailed that one.