Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by woodydave44 View Post
    You do realize that SWTOR is 80% solo focused? You only ever have to group for Flashpoints and raids...if you chose to do them.
    Your point being? WoW you can do that last 20% solo to in less than an hour packages, which was my point, and yes I count LFD and LFR groups as solo content as the level of that content is brought down to the lowest common denominator hence communication isn't required to succeed, much like playing a single player game with cheats on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    This is true of many other MMOs out there. The argument that TOR is a solo game, as opposed to an MMO, when compared to other MMOs really doesn't make any sense. In WoW, for instance, a player can level the entire way up to max level and have zero interaction with anyone else. Realistically, there is almost no reason to group with anyone for anything other than raids or battlegrounds much like what you say about OPs and FPs.

Sure, in both WoW and ToR, you can group up for group quests or do dungeons. There is literally no difference from one to the other in the leveling process other than the addition of dialogue in ToR.
    Actually, WoW rid themselves of group quests with Cata. But I leveled 4 toons to 85, 1 to 84, and 1 to 82. Aside from the 82 (leveled through tanking dungeons from 15 on) and my main, I leveled completely solo for all of them. There is absolutely no incentive from WoW to group. At least in TOR they offer loot bonus and XP bonus, along with social points that give you the ability to buy cosmetic items as you level it.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I'm as much at fault for this as others. Let's get back on topic of the LFG in TOR please.

I would trade every single thing about the new Legacy system for a cross server LFG and cross server Warzones and dual spec...

I play on a relative good server with lots of ppl (Legion of Lettown) and i really dont have problems finding a group for Flashpoints and i dont wait much for a Wz queue to pop, but for some lower population (read : Empty) servers this would help a bit.... Atleast it would be a temporary "fix" until character transfer becomes available,helping ppl from low pop servers to find groups for both FP and WZ...
    And no, cross server lfg or wz's dont kill MMO community.....But hey... i would prefer a silent community in a cross server LFG Wz´s than a dead game....

And dual spec for my main is really more important to me that legacy abilitys for my alts...I really like TOR i have no plans to quit but things like this shouldnt be put aside until 1.3, they should be THE MAIN THING on the devs list ...

but thats just my opinion
    Last edited by shadowstep; 2012-03-28 at 04:48 PM.

I am assuming that the dungeon finder would be usable for doing the various heroics. Therefore using a dungeon finder in SWTOR I generally like the idea. My server is a low population server and more often than not I am unable to find ANYONE within a reasonable amount of time to do AND complete the Heroics. Even during the "peak" hours of play like weekends (I work weekend days and only able to log during the nights and only for a limited time) it can be quite frustrating to get a group going with the requisite group composition. Some heroics are frustrating in obtaining as there are several that require you in doing the breadcrumb line before being able to get them and are not sharable. Quite often I get someone to group with me only to find out that the new member(s) don't have the quest and unable to get it at that point and drop out. There have been the suggestion thst I park myself at the fleet and look for groups there. This is as bad as trying on the planets themselves as it doesn't resolve the issue of the low population situation, not enough players at your toon's level to do AND complete the heroics. Never mind others in having or even obtaining the quests. It can take a hour or more for me just in the fleet alone to just get ONE reply. And some planets heroics are nearly impossible to get any groups for the heroics. Nar Shardaa heroics come to mind for example. A Jawa's Concern on Tatooine is another.

I do have reservations about the dungeon finder. I do play WoW and I know of the pros and cons of of using a system like this in the game. One qualm (from a WoW perspective) I have is the lack of accountability from some group members. There is quite often the lack of civility in these situations also. And there is lack of community as well, no sense of looking out for one another and feeling a part of a group and group spirit. It's a "I am here to get what I want and don't get in my way" attitude in many cases. Quite often there isn't even any talk in chat from beginning to end.

Restricting the dungeon finder to server only would help to some degree with the lack of some communication and connection to the group spirit.
    Last edited by Viterian; 2012-03-28 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowstep View Post
    I would trade every single thing about the new Legacy system for a cross server LFG and cross server Warzones and dual spec...

I play on a relative good server with lots of ppl (Legion of Lettown) and i really dont have problems finding a group for Flashpoints and i dont wait much for a Wz queue to pop, but for some lower population (read : Empty) servers this would help a bit.... Atleast it would be a temporary "fix" until character transfer becomes available,helping ppl from low pop servers to find groups for both FP and WZ...

And dual spec for my main is really more important to me that legacy abilitys for my alts...I really like TOR i have no plans to quit but things like this shouldnt be put aside until 1.3 ...

but thats just my opinion
    Agree with dual spec. I get tired of having to switch specs any time I want to PvP. As for cross server LFG....still don't like it. I'd rather they just merge low pop servers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentWolf View Post
    THAT'S THE WHOLE FRAKIN POINT OF IT!!! geez get it into this head of yours, many ppl do NOT want to sit at fleet looking for group, many ppl do not want to yell "lf tank/healer", many ppl can't care less about other ppl, they JUST. WANT. TO. PLAY. THE. DAMN. GAME!!!
    I'm sorry I sound a bit emo, but I'm SO sick and tired of those ppl who think that we should be FORCED to group up the oldschool manual way. I'm not friendly person, I don't care about other people, I don't want to make a good impression. In fact, if you fail in my warzone/flashpoint and cost us a game/make us wipe, you'll hear about it from me in details.
    I wanna just play a game and other ppl are just tools to complete it, to get to the top. And lfg tool is PERFECT for it.
    I log in, I queue for a flashpoint. I play meanwhile at some other planet, doing dailies or something, I get queue, I complete flashpoint. That's it. Nice and fun.
    Without lfg tool few select most social ppl will find each other, get into one guild maybe and do those flashpoint for their pleasure, while majority will be left behind without ability/will to find a group manual way. I don't see how this is good for the game overall. With crosserver lfg tool we can get into party without any trouble fast and nice.
    Really sounds to me like you should try out another game genre, like the Sims or Skyrim since you don't seem to enjoy playing with other people, yet for some reason you choose to play a Multi Massive Online game. They are meant to be played with other people.

To stay on topic; I wouldn't mind a dungeon finder for as long as it stays server wide, if you are one of those still playing on a low populated server and complaining about still having long queues, do what I did. Reroll! I have legacy level 22 on my old server but it doesn't matter because that server is dead anyways, so I switched.
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2012-03-28 at 05:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd much rather have dual spec, since respec costs between going tank for raids and dps for solo/pvp is getting expensive as all hell. Thankfully its in the pipe.

I have to admit I was originally against LFD, for many of the same reasons as above - its easy to find a group if you're trying. I had no trouble finding groups for HMs when I needed them, and I'm in a relatively active guild that helps people out a lot. But then I started leveling my commando alt, and I realized its next to impossible for me to find fp groups while you're leveling. My server is probably medium pop, and being republic side makes things difficult. There are times where I'm lucky to find 5 people on the same planet I am, especially off-peak when I level my alts. I've hit 45 on my commando now, and I've been in a flashpoint once, and that was with a RL buddy of mine, because he had never been in one either.

When I consider my options, its either sit in fleet doing nothing but spamming, hoping someone in my level range is there, or go questing or pvping or something and level quicker. I definitely do spam on planets and have my LFG flag up, but that has gotten me butkis. So guess what I'm gonna do? And when I give up, others can't find who they need, so they give up, and the problem just snowballs.

Server-only is a great way to do this, especially if they let you blacklist players you can't tolerate. I wouldn't stand for a multiple-server LFD tool, as it just breeds the kind of self-serving crap you see in the LFD tool in WoW today (mods: I'm not comparing the games, I'm comparing the communities). There's a hell of a lot more accountability - and nicer people - if you see people on a regular basis.

Just please, Bioware, don't do assigned loot.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Okay, I'm as much at fault for this as others. Let's get back on topic of the LFG in TOR please.
    The dungeon finder is coming in 1.3. What's left to discuss, really?

It'll be intra-server to start and I think that'll be enough of a solution for 90% of the playerbase. Combine it with some sort of server consolidation and we've got a winner.

Seems pretty cut & dry to me.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

I seriously think that when people talk about 'server community' they are really just saying "me and my friends" or "me and my guild".

I group up whenever I can, but even in FP's and 2/4 quest groups people are just nailing out the content and there is very little if any "socializing". I have yet to see a SINGLE example of this 'server community' people keep referring to.

Hell, I've had more people kill steal and objective steal from me in this game than I have in any other MMO I've played. All it takes is a half dozen people in the same questing zone and this problem will happen each and every time. I'll offer to group up with them and will be ignored. The linear questing in this game creates this problem, but it is a LACK of community that makes it worse than it has to be.

I've had people need on crap they can't even use just because they want to vendor it or put it on a companion. What do they care? I can bitch and moan in chat about them but most people aren't going to listen and the few who do will forget all about it/not care in a few days anyway.

So...without a single example of server community then what does the server even matter beyond its population density? I say bring on every convenience tool that will also bring in subs. People have jobs, lives, and families and may feel they need those tools to help them get the most out of the game and I'm sure BW wants their money too.

Quote Originally Posted by gualdhar View Post
    Just please, Bioware, don't do assigned loot.
    Really wouldn't mind that for normal/story mode raids and possibly FPs, any pug-able content as long as they could make it tradeable 15min after and only on loot gained through those conditions, that way it's up to you if you want to pass it along to some one or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowstep View Post
    I would trade every single thing about the new Legacy system for a cross server LFG
    yea you and many more, including me

Quote Originally Posted by GW2lacky View Post
    Hell, I've had more people kill steal and objective steal from me in this game than I have in any other MMO I've played. All it takes is a half dozen people in the same questing zone and this problem will happen each and every time. I'll offer to group up with them and will be ignored. The linear questing in this game creates this problem, but it is a LACK of community that makes it worse than it has to be.
    I had it happen to me once. Just once. The guy stole my quest item, so in the next part when I saw him I stole his item. He whispered me and called me names and I told him he did it to me so we were even. He said fine, he was going to follow me and steal every item, which was funny cause I was done anyway and on a kill quest. He got mad at that and started to pull everything in the area to kill me, but I never damaged it so after it all killed him it reset. After he did this twice more he got the point and left.

I later saw him in trade trying to form a group and people chewed him out for being an asshat. Saw him once more in a huttball, then never saw him again after that.

That's the server community people talk about. He was a tard, so he couldn't find a group because nobody wanted to group with him. With dungeon finder, he would of been free to keep grouping with random people and being a tard to them with no penalty. I often wonder how many people come on to forums and complain about not being able to find a group are like these people. Some who have posted already I have no doubt are these people. I'm not naming fingers and pointing names, but I'm sure other people are thinking the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    I had it happen to me once. Just once. The guy stole my quest item, so in the next part when I saw him I stole his item. He whispered me and called me names and I told him he did it to me so we were even. He said fine, he was going to follow me and steal every item, which was funny cause I was done anyway and on a kill quest. He got mad at that and started to pull everything in the area to kill me, but I never damaged it so after it all killed him it reset. After he did this twice more he got the point and left.

I later saw him in trade trying to form a group and people chewed him out for being an asshat. Saw him once more in a huttball, then never saw him again after that.

That's the server community people talk about. He was a tard, so he couldn't find a group because nobody wanted to group with him. With dungeon finder, he would of been free to keep grouping with random people and being a tard to them with no penalty. I often wonder how many people come on to forums and complain about not being able to find a group are like these people. Some who have posted already I have no doubt are these people. I'm not naming fingers and pointing names, but I'm sure other people are thinking the same.
    Do you play on Swiftsure? There was someone who did that same exact thing to me two nights ago. He followed me for an hour and would Force Leap into any group of mobs I was approaching. No reason or previous exchange tho...just someone who was bored and full of douche I guess.

I can definitely see what you are saying. I'm all for shunning asshats into either conforming to some kind of civility or leaving the game...it just doesn't seem effective since they are still everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    My server uses a global LFG channel we are fine with it.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Great post, Koala. You just hit it out of the park.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Quote Originally Posted by mandus View Post
    i would like to do quests while looking for a group just as i can queue for pvp warzone while questing... thats why we need lfg tool
    This...instead of waiting forever standing in one place trying to organize it. Hopefully it does looking for any of the group quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is it so many people here say stuff like "stop being lazy and wanting LFD where you do nothing but stand around and wait for a group"? Half the people here that want LFD say they want it so they DON'T have to stand around in fleet for hours waiting for people to form up a group, etc. They say they want to enjoy the rest of the game, but they aren't allowed to because if they do it's at the exclusion of another part of it.

And also... as for how it is more single-player? Class quest barriers, only one of your class allowed inside. If you have friends with similar interests, check them at the door please.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibi View Post
    Why is it so many people here say stuff like "stop being lazy and wanting LFD where you do nothing but stand around and wait for a group"? Half the people here that want LFD say they want it so they DON'T have to stand around in fleet for hours waiting for people to form up a group, etc. They say they want to enjoy the rest of the game, but they aren't allowed to because if they do it's at the exclusion of another part of it.

And also... as for how it is more single-player? Class quest barriers, only one of your class allowed inside. If you have friends with similar interests, check them at the door please.
    Anyone can go with you for class quests. You just have to go in first.