Thread: Legendary Staff

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Legendary Staff

Hi guys! I'm finally joining the Legendary Staff club, woo hoo Just picked up my staff last week, and I just have a few questions out of pure curiosity. I know that Atonement doesn't proc with double smites/holy fires, but that's all I really know about Priests and Staves. Hoping someone else might be more knowledgeable, since I've done 0 testing and I don't have the time to test right now (bout to head to class!)

1) Can Shadowfiend damage / hits be procced? If so, is it affected by T13 4set? How about Shadow Apparitions, does their damage proc and is it affected by T13?
    2) If a Mind Blast or Mind Spike procs, does it also consume current number of orbs with the proc? If so, does it refresh Empowering Shadows?
    3) What shows up as Wrath of Tarecgosa? Just DoT ticks? And with something that doesn't show up as Wrath of Tarecgosa (like Mind Blast), does it show up on WoL / Recount under Mind Blast damage?
    4) If Shadow Word: Death procs, do you take damage from it and proc Masochism if there is damage?
    5) Does Mind Sear proc? How about Holy Nova damage?
    6) Do trinkets double proc damage, like Cunning of the Cruel or Variable Pulse Lightning Capacitor?

Sorry for the load of questions. I know the staff will be forever RNG procs, but I'd just like to know the staff inside out
    Last edited by Ellumina; 2012-03-28 at 05:11 PM.

Deleted
    It basicly just duplicates the attack it procs off, which can't be the fiend/trinket. So it would also not use up orbs, nor refresh ES.
    If the staff procs from DoT, it's indeed listed as "Wrath of Tarecgosa" in Recount, if Mind blast/spike would proc it, it would only come up as an additional hit.

Hope that clears some of the many questions!

1. Shadowfiend is a pet so no.
    2. When it duplicates a spell it doesn't copy the amount of orbs. At least thats how I came to understand it. It does not refresh ES.
    3. If you check WoL logs you'll see that players with the staff will get entries called Wrath of Tarecgosa. This is the same for Recount.
    4. According to my knowledge you do not take the backlash damage.
    5. Pretty sure Mind Sear procs.
    6. Trinkets do no proc double damage since they're not classified as a spell.

It only reproduces the damage part of the spells not the secondary effects. So for sw:d you would get an extra sw:d in there but you would not take extra damage. Aside from that I think all your q's have been answer... Also, grats! I hope you have fun with it

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    It only reproduces the damage part of the spells not the secondary effects. So for sw:d you would get an extra sw:d in there but you would not take extra damage. Aside from that I think all your q's have been answer... Also, grats! I hope you have fun with it
    Yeah, all my questions were pretty similar

Thanks for the responses so far. My questions probably seem pretty silly, so I appreciate you guys bearing with me I might just play around and test a bit later out of boredom, so if anything happens to be different than what's posted here I'll be sure to say something.

Btw yes mind blast and mind spike procs does indeed cOnsume orbs. You wouldn't believe how many times I went through the t13 4pc rotation with a 0 orb mind blast because the mind spike directly before it procced and stole my shadow orbs.

Okay guys! I did a little bit of testing and I have some results. The above with what zsun says is true, MB/MS procs do eat up shadow orbs. I figured this was the case since I swear that happened to me yesterday before I did a Mind Blast. When testing though, I didn't check to see if it renewed Empowering Shadows =/

Other interesting facts:
    - Shadow Word: Death procs DO deal damage to you, and they WILL proc Masochism.
    - If Mind Spike procs, it does NOT affect Mind Melt but it does add another Mind Spike stack to your target.
    - Vampiric Touch, Devouring Plague, Shadow Word: Pain, and Mind Flay procs all count towards Wrath of Tarecgosa. Another one of my questions which I forgot to post was whether Mind Flay procs affect Shadowfiend CD if the proc was crit, but MF procs aren't counted as MF so that eliminates that theory.
    - After some testing, it does not seem that Mind Sear, Holy Nova, or Shadowy Apparitions can be procced.
    Last edited by Ellumina; 2012-03-28 at 09:23 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the club
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

1. Pet damage isn't procced.
    2. The extra spike/blast will act exactly as though you had cast it, and will crit if the initial cast also crit (similarly, it won't crit if the first one didn't). Orbs are consumable by both and will refresh ES if consumed by either, but will only boost the damage for the one that consumes the orbs (with T13 4set, entirely possible for both to do this if you proc orbs between the cast and proc).
    3. Yes, only DoT ticks show up as Wrath of Tarecgosa, the direct damage spell procs are added to that spell's total damage.
    4. If SWD procs, you get two procs of Masochism.
    5. Mind Sear does proc on a per-tick basis (gets added to total Mind Sear damage), it'll proc a "double-tick" on every mob hit by that particular tick. Holy Nova procs another free Holy Nova cast.
    6. Trinkets such as these do not proc the staff.

I see most of this is covered already but I figured I'd add my findings. Grats on the staff!

Thanks Estarliia! That's just the response I was looking for

15+ Year Old Account
    One caveat to what Estarliia said:

Regarding Question 2, while dot ticks (that show up as wrath of tarecgosa) might mimic the crit chance of the original dot tick - I never tested that part - but I did test Mind Blast usage of orbs (only the first MB uses it, the WoT proc will not double the additional orb damage), and discovered the Tarecgosa MB procs had unique critical rolls from the originating MB - we witnessed both the original MB critting and the WoT not critting, as well as the original MB not critting and the WoT proc MB critting.

Actually, procs off dot ticks mimic the damage exactly, the WoT proc for dots can never be a crit but if VT ticks for a 20k crit, the proc will do 20k as well.

I confused myself regarding the crit chance of MS/MB procs (and SkillOverKill probably has it right) but one thing I can say with 100% certainty is that if you MB with the Mind Spike debuff up on the target and that MB procs the staff, the proc will have the same crit chance as the original MB. Never seen a procced MB fail to crit during a MS/MB rotation with 4set.
    Last edited by Estarliia; 2012-03-29 at 07:27 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Estarliia View Post
    Actually, procs off dot ticks mimic the damage exactly, the WoT proc for dots can never be a crit but if VT ticks for a 20k crit, the proc will do 20k as well.

I confused myself regarding the crit chance of MS/MB procs (and SkillOverKill probably has it right) but one thing I can say with 100% certainty is that if you MB with the Mind Spike debuff up on the target and that MB procs the staff, the proc will have the same crit chance as the original MB. Never seen a procced MB fail to crit during a MS/MB rotation with 4set.
    Ah good to know - ya we were just doing 1 MB per cooldown to test - with no spells in between (except during orb tests, where we used Flay, but never tested anything with spike).

---shadowfiend and shadowy apparitions do NOT proc
    ---direct damage spells like spike, blast, and death count as you casting a instant non-gcd version of it. anything that could proc off casting them can proc off the duplicate. that means masochism WILL proc, spike debuff WILL proc, mind melt WILL proc, and the procs CAN consume orbs with shitty luck and ruin your 4 piece rotation on things like spine burns. also means trinkets gt TWO shots off procing (see stackign int trinket).
    ---the delay is about ~.5 seconds for the proc to land. what this means is it totally can screw up a nice 6 or 8 minute cd channel if your not careful. (see divine hymn and hymn of hope). a good way around it is the cast fade first to give a gcd to work the kinks out then hit the channel as theres nothing like screwing a spine attempt cause it didnt go off.
    ---it doesnt duplicate the entire mind sear or even the mind sear "waves". how it duplicates mind sear is on an individual basis. you hit 5 targets. every target has a chance to duplicate 1 hit on it. it wont hit all 5 again. just single ticks. sucks i know.
    ---holy nova DOES work. extensive testing proves it loves proccing on critters (joking) but i can confirm it does proc after hours and hours of farming zul'furak for certain x-mog gear.
    ---the arcane damage "wrath of the T" procs off dots.. means flay, pain, touch, and plague. it mimics the hit 100% as arcane damage. 0 modifiers even if the target is weak to arcane (tested on ossarian of the 10 billion resistances). 100 shadow = 100 arcane. no exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by shuryin View Post
    ---shadowfiend and shadowy apparitions do NOT proc
    ---direct damage spells like spike, blast, and death count as you casting a instant non-gcd version of it. anything that could proc off casting them can proc off the duplicate. that means masochism WILL proc, spike debuff WILL proc, mind melt WILL proc, and the procs CAN consume orbs with shitty luck and ruin your 4 piece rotation on things like spine burns. also means trinkets gt TWO shots off procing (see stackign int trinket).
    ---the delay is about ~.5 seconds for the proc to land. what this means is it totally can screw up a nice 6 or 8 minute cd channel if your not careful. (see divine hymn and hymn of hope). a good way around it is the cast fade first to give a gcd to work the kinks out then hit the channel as theres nothing like screwing a spine attempt cause it didnt go off.
    ---it doesnt duplicate the entire mind sear or even the mind sear "waves". how it duplicates mind sear is on an individual basis. you hit 5 targets. every target has a chance to duplicate 1 hit on it. it wont hit all 5 again. just single ticks. sucks i know.
    ---holy nova DOES work. extensive testing proves it loves proccing on critters (joking) but i can confirm it does proc after hours and hours of farming zul'furak for certain x-mog gear.
    ---the arcane damage "wrath of the T" procs off dots.. means flay, pain, touch, and plague. it mimics the hit 100% as arcane damage. 0 modifiers even if the target is weak to arcane (tested on ossarian of the 10 billion resistances). 100 shadow = 100 arcane. no exceptions.
    Only thing I'd like to argue here is Mind Melt. I was testing this yesterday and while Mind Spike procs add a MS stack on the target, Mind Melt is NOT affected. And also procs don't see to affect trinket stacks of Will of Unbinding (will not add a stack / won't refresh buff).

And lol @ Holy Nova. It never procced for me on the dummies >< I'll test again! Question though, with what you said regarding Mind Sear only proccing 1 tick off of 1 enemy, is that also the same with Holy Nova?

I'm more than welcome to someone proving anything I say wrong. My findings are based on some testing I did on dummies yesterday.

EDIT: Oh and wonderful advice regarding hymns. I will certainly be careful with that. Can I assume WoT won't affect hymns? And does this mean procs interrupt spells in general? If not, how come it affects hymns? Hrm.
    Last edited by Ellumina; 2012-03-29 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shuryin View Post
    I have had this happen to me countless times while trying to cast Divine Hymn during Yor'sahj and Spine of Deathwing. I never thought that it would be the staff proc that causes the interruption.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellumina View Post
    Oh and wonderful advice regarding hymns. I will certainly be careful with that. Can I assume WoT won't affect hymns? And does this mean procs interrupt spells in general? If not, how come it affects hymns? Hrm.
    Based on my experience, WoT doesn't affect the hymns. I've always had dots rolling when casting hymns. In my experience, when my Divine Hymn has been interrupted, it was immediately after I was channeling Mind Sear. So that absolutely makes sense that the mind sear proc has been interrupting me. Amazing find!

Quote Originally Posted by ginovva320 View Post
    I have had this happen to me countless times while trying to cast Divine Hymn during Yor'sahj and Spine of Deathwing. I never thought that it would be the staff proc that causes the interruption.

Based on my experience, WoT doesn't affect the hymns. I've always had dots rolling when casting hymns. In my experience, when my Divine Hymn has been interrupted, it was immediately after I was channeling Mind Sear. So that absolutely makes sense that the mind sear proc has been interrupting me. Amazing find!
    I've had my Divine Hymn interrupted on Yor'sahj as well, though unrelated to the legendary staff because I didn't have one at the time. Hm, I wonder if I was still using Rath'rak and if that could have caused a problem. *Shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Ellumina View Post
    I've had my Divine Hymn interrupted on Yor'sahj as well, though unrelated to the legendary staff because I didn't have one at the time. Hm, I wonder if I was still using Rath'rak and if that could have caused a problem. *Shrug*
    That was a problem a lot of people had... and I don't think anyone ever figured out definitively what was causing it...

I've just obtained this staff too, and I see something which is against all I've seen earlier in this post.

Regarding the Mind Blast spell (I've not tested the other spells yet), it's possible to either have a non critical proc from a critical Mind Blast or also have a critical proc from a regular Mind Blast. The weird thing is that in my log, it doesn't show that way, but in my recount window, it clearly shows 1 critical Mind Blast and 1 regular Mind Blast (I was resetting the recount at each Mind Blast). So I'm 100% sure of that.

Can someone confirm ?

the procc is like it is an entire new spell casts for direct spells like mb so yeah the procc can miss crit hit completly irrelevant what the original mb did
    Thanks for that awesome signature i4ni

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...ck/Ravy/simple