Page 9 of 533 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Reminds me of my last visit to my granny's house. She had put a computer in the guest bedroom and it wasn't working. Turned out the computer was fine, it was how they had plugged it in. Or hadn't, as it turned out. Basically all the power cables were plugged into plug-boards, for some reason the plug-boards were plugged into each other and the only plug going into the wall was attached to another plug-board, which had nothing plugged into it. Not to mention the cables that connected the computer parts to the computer were all tangled up with the power cable like leftover spaghetti. Took me about half an hour to get everything unplugged, untangled and put back together again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I just wanted to share my frustration.
    Sounds like a nice job, all I do is sit on facebook/mmo-champion 90% of the time because I don't have anything to do there. XD

Ontopic, went with the reference on my second 580 today, instead of those Arctic Cooling that's laying on my shelf, I found a buyer locally and I can happily say I'm adding $2000 to my next build ^.^ (Sitting at $4000 now, -$1000 because the Danish taxes)
    Last edited by inux94; 2012-03-27 at 09:06 PM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Sounds like a nice job, all I do is sit on facebook/mmo-champion 90% of the time because I don't have anything to do there. XD
    We can swap?

I have a few larger projects I need to take care of fairly soon, all related to website management (optimizing for googlebot is super f*cking boring). For example there is a large bug in our tax-thing that causes random errors with values that contain commas and dots (e.g. 1,500.00) for no apparent reason at all. Not to mention that I need to pack and ship anywhere between 10 and 25 orders each day. And, well, every now and then new projects emerge that take priority; like rebuilding a shelf into a hanger-thing for clothes or re-wiring the whole office so that the phones and internet work as intended.

Now that I think about it... having stuff to do beats sitting around doing nothing. Offer cancelled.

My job is like that too inux, I don't have anything to do a majority of the time, that's why I seem to be on here an awful lot from 8am-4pm EST.

---------- Post added 2012-03-27 at 07:36 PM ----------

Which monitor for the build in my sig?

A 120Hz like this one from ASUS or Dell Ultrasharp.

Deltrus keeps nagging me. =P
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-27 at 11:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except you really get "paid" note. ^^

Personally I'd go with the ASUS, because I'm always fascinated by their style.

I only get unlimited time at my working place if I work a certain amount of hours/week.
    Working at a gaming café

Hopefully someday I'll get a nice job where I'm paid to work around with computers, excited for the future.

I decided I'm going to throw away $1000 for a 2560x1440 monitor this summer, along with a 1920x1080 next to it for browsing/youtube and such. (I often watch youtube while gaming, it's a bad habit since I've got a 100GB internet cap ^^) instead of something like 3x 1920x1080.
    So I'm at around $2200 budget left, damn the Danish queen nagging 25% of every product in Denmark. (Was originally $4000 budget, but cut down to $3000 because the tax)
    Last edited by inux94; 2012-03-28 at 12:58 AM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wait when is the SR-X getting released?

---------- Post added 2012-03-28 at 01:40 AM ----------

Also - 120Hz monitor since you got a 680. -.- USE THAT DISPLAY PORT FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

From the kepler/680 thread, not wanting to go all OT so...

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    Not going to pay extra for a prefitted block when many brands permit the removal of the heatsink without voiding warranty. I do like the clean basic look of Swiftech blocks, but I'll skip EK until they admit their older electroless nickel plating was awful. Heatkiller all the way...their blocks are built like tanks.
    Which manufacturers allow you to do this? I am pretty sure Asus does, which other manufacturers allow it?

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    From the kepler/680 thread, not wanting to go all OT so...

Which manufacturers allow you to do this? I am pretty sure Asus does, which other manufacturers allow it?
    Asus, XFX and EVGA for sure. I think Zotac, MSI and Gigabyte unofficially don't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Wait when is the SR-X getting released?

---------- Post added 2012-03-28 at 01:40 AM ----------

Also - 120Hz monitor since you got a 680. -.- USE THAT DISPLAY PORT FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    http://www.evga.com/products/moreInf...herboards&sw=5

10+ Year Old Account
    Obligatory chat-forum copy post in case people want to say off-topic stuff

H100 installed with fans in pull!

To my horror, I realized my idles hadn't budged compared to my old Hyper 212+. That is of course, before I did a P95 run - 58c tops @ 4.5ghz, I didn't hear the fans increase in speed at all. I was like "mother of god" because with Hyper212+ temps would instantly hit 70c+. Overclocking time!
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Figured I'd share this post here instead of adding another pic to the Build Thread... My pile is growing!

I'm kinda nervous, I have no way to test the H100 to ensure that it is fully functional (unless I test it on a friend's rig). By the time IB releases, my 30 day RMA window with Newegg will have closed, so I'll have to go through Corsair instead.

PS: Xuvial, isn't it push when the fans are on the bottom? The cool air gets pushed up through the radiator... Unless you have them facing down, which is ill-advised I believe... I could be wrong though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    PS: Xuvial, isn't it push when the fans are on the bottom? The cool air gets pushed up through the radiator... Unless you have them facing down, which is ill-advised I believe... I could be wrong though.
    They're in pull, yes they're facing down
    The air outside the case is far cooler than air inside the case, why would you be pushing air that's already warm in an attempt to cool the rad? Having the fans pull cool air into the case via the rad is a tad more effective, it also helps positive pressure.

The cons to this (for me atleast) is significantly more dust intake, and also my poor rear 120mm has to work its ass off being the only exhaust. Dust I can try to cut down with filters, exhaust I just have the rear RPM turned up. No biggies :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-03-29 at 12:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's in the white boxes?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    What's in the white boxes?
    Well if you clicked on the image and saw what was written on the boxes, you'd eventually find out they contain these:

Noob!

10+ Year Old Account
    actually, looking into it, the SR-X is a complete waste of money ATM, the E5 Xeons cant be overclocked more then BLK allows, and the fastest one is only 3.1Ghz, with the 3960x and it's E5 equivilant being more then enough for workstation needs, so if you built a SR-X, you will have an awesome rig, but it wont be able to outperform a 3960x or 2500k for gaming, or even most multi threaded apps

hopefully Intel will release some unlocked E5s or this will be a complete waste of a motherboard

personally i'd like to see some dual core E5s that base around 4.5Ghz with 20mb+ of L3 cache, two of those and 4 way SLI would make an absolute monster gaming rig

10+ Year Old Account
    HAVE AT THEE!!!! (@Xuvial)

/rage

---------- Post added 2012-03-29 at 01:06 PM ----------

Wow, the amount of SATA ports on the SR-X is really quite sad. Other than a shit ton of PCI express lanes and two CPU slots, it looks like a rather average board thanks to no SATA port lovin.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2012-03-29 at 01:06 PM.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Well if you clicked on the image and saw what was written on the boxes, you'd eventually find out they contain these:
    http://www.zalman.co.kr/DataFile/pro...F3_04_m(0).jpg
    Noob!
    Indeed, I went with two Zalman ZM-F3 fans for now. I was going to buy the more expensive ZALMAN SF3, but I wasn't sure $20 per fan was worth it. The reviews of the ZM-F3s say they're just a little less quiet but move a good bit more air.

I've also got two SilenX Effizos sitting around that I may use as pull (top) fans. It all depends on how quiet the F3s are, if they are unbelievably quiet, I might just trash the SilenX and get two more F3s. I don't like the SilenX fans because they have a temperature probe that keeps them off until the inside of the case hits a certain temp.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-29 at 01:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    personally i'd like to see some dual core E5s that base around 4.5Ghz with 20mb+ of L3 cache, two of those and 4 way SLI would make an absolute monster gaming rig
    4.5ghz base? You asking intel to ship their chips overclocked or what :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Indeed, I went with two Zalman ZM-F3 fans for now. I was going to buy the more expensive ZALMAN SF3, but I wasn't sure $20 per fan was worth it. The reviews of the ZM-F3s say they're just a little less quiet but move a good bit more air.
    Those are some nice looking fans sir! $20 is for the prettifulness! :P
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    4.5ghz base? You asking intel to ship their chips overclocked or what :P
    IBM sells 5Ghz quad cores, im sure intel can make a Xeon that is 2 cores and starts at 4.5 and turbos up to 5