Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The fate of the world actually does hang in the balance the next three years...

cuz everyone on the internets is smarter than real scientists, ignorance is bliss and burgers are too yummy to resist no matter what they're made of
    Last edited by Budong; 2012-04-08 at 10:24 AM.

Get a real source before you start tying your noose. If this was real there would be real headlines.

"Anti-nuclear physician Dr. Helen Caldicott says that if fuel pool 4 collapses, she will evacuate her family from Boston and move them to the Southern Hemisphere."

"Anti-nuclear"
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

You take one source out of dozens to nitpick and therefore disregard the entire article? Go ahead and put your head back in the sand, I'm sure everything will be ok if we ignore it

Their source for the "70% chance and 98% chance" is another blog, and that blog's source is a speech given by a single scientist whose source is an eco blog whose source is a european eco journal.

I agree that the situation needs to be handled over there soon but these sources are pretty biased in the super-green leaning direction which always leads to a certain interpretation of facts that don't always coincide with the general consensus.

Either way, people fear monger over nuclear disasters way too much. When Fukushima was melting down Nancy Grace terrorized Californians into buying iodine pills despite the total radiation they got amounted to only a fraction of the radiation you'd get from from the sun on a day at the beach.

Doomsayers are part of every major and minor society in history. Congratulations that you've marked your place.

P.S. The Earth isn't flat like they say, you won't fall off the edge.

10+ Year Old Account
    im not worried if japan nukes itself maybe US will be blamed but probably not.... ya im heartless

I wish I had all of your blind optimism.

Deleted
    And we're happy we don't have your blind pessimism.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Correct me if I'm wrong but, it's impossible to predict Earthquakes? Especially with a 98% accuracy over a period of 3 years.

I have my sincerest doubts about the legitimasy of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by budong View Post
    http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed...ools-fukushima

I know blogs are notorious for misinformation but the sources cited are pretty spot on and from experts in their field. As I read this I felt a cold feeling growing in the pit of my stomach. This is real folks, it isn't some bullshit Mayan doomsday prophecy or gross exaggeration...it's absolutely possible and if the geologists are right, it's at worse 70 % probable.

What I don't understand is why the fuck isn't Japan just encasing the entire place in concrete like Chernobyl. There is NO monetary value to be put against the consequences if they don't get the fuel rods out in time. Three years in an area that is geologically unstable is like playing planetary Russian roulette. It baffles me that this isn't being reported on with the same fervor as the 'pink slime' scare. I'd rather eat 10 pounds of pink slime burgers everyday for the rest of my life than die of radiation sickness because some corporation in Japan didn't have the balls to own up to their mistakes and take their global responsibility seriously. Also why aren't the world governments breathing down Japan's neck over this? We may be about to face the end of life in at least the northern hemisphere and these clowns are more worried about getting re-elected. If Republicans want a good campaign point they should use this. Romney could easily throw these quotes out and say 'why Mr. President aren't you doing something about this?'.

I guess on the bright side...if this does happen we can save billions of dollars on energy costs for lighting because this whole country will be glowing in the dark.
    I didn't realize earthquake weather was predictable to the ninety-eighth percentile. That sounds more like a discount price than a statistic.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-04-08 at 02:36 AM.

Deleted
    How exactly have they managed to predict an earthquake magnitude that far in advance?

I know Japan use highly sensitive GPS to monitor activity, but that seems a stretch.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless, the meltdown of Fukoshima wouldn't be the end of the world. Far from it. We've handled worse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Regardless, the meltdown of Fukoshima wouldn't be the end of the world. Far from it. We've handled worse.
    It's the cooling rods we're more worried about, nearly 500 tonnes of the things stored in a severely damaged building.

But I too can't understand the paranoia.

and? out of the thousands of ways we could all die, this is one we can control and effect.
    look at the super volcano in yellowstone park, if it ever goes off say goodbye to the human race(along with all all life on earth higher then pond-scum).

10+ Year Old Account
    Zero Hedge is not a reliable source of information or speculation. This has been well established over the past several years.

EDIT: I almost forgot to preemptively LOL at the suggestion that anyone who would discredit your esteemed sources of confirmation bias and fallacy via authoritative deferral is a mindless sheep, brainwashed by the establishment.

LOL. Yeah, I know a lot of people like you. Some of them are friends of mine. See with your own eyes. Hear with your own ears. It's funny that the same people who point the finger and accuse others of believing whatever they're told are the first to jump blindly onto any bandwagon, so long as it is sufficiently contrarian.
    Last edited by videotape; 2012-04-08 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    How exactly have they managed to predict an earthquake magnitude that far in advance?

I know Japan use highly sensitive GPS to monitor activity, but that seems a stretch.
    I couldn't agree more with this statement as I've never heard of scientist being able to predict earthquakes like the article claims o.o.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by budong View Post
    I wish I had all of your blind optimism.
    I wish I had yours! Oh wait no I don't.

Did you hear? The sky is falling!!!!!

My source? I looked up and some dirt hit me in the eye.
    Last edited by Punks; 2012-04-08 at 02:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    I couldn't agree more with this statement as I've never heard of scientist being able to predict earthquakes like the article claims o.o.
    If earthquakes could be predicted with any substantial amount of geographical and temporal accuracy, there is absolutely no way that Japan would have suffered as much as they did in the first place. Not even a slight chance.

To vehemently defend the claim like OP would is to present to these very forums a ludicrous display of ignorance and unawareness so profound and comical that it might actually deserve its own time slot on The History Channel.

Scientists *cannot* predict *when* an earthquake is going to strike, it's never been done. They now have instruments to measure how big they will be when they go off, and where, but not when. So it could be 30 minutes from now, or it could be 100 years from now. It may be possible someday, but not now, so that three year stuff is bullshit.

Regardless, there are plenty of things that could seriously fuck up life as we know it, it's really not worth obsessing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Punks View Post
    I wish I had yours! Oh wait no I don't.

Did you hear? The sky is falling!!!!!

My source? I looked up and some dirt hit me in the eye.
    That's just what the man wants you to think! The truth is the ground is rising!