Thread: Soda Tax

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    It does not do this and has not been proven to do this in this thread. It has at best been shown to increase weight gain. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.

As to why I'm not posting links to studies, the burden of proof is on those that make the claim.
    Well then we'll agree to lazily disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Everything and anything can be fucking poisonous. Everything has a toxicity level, therefore everything can be considered poisonous. End this discussion damnit.
    Sure, just get the other posters to move off of it.

Actually scratch that. I'm done with that tangent. I posted what I think, other posters can either accept them or not. My view won't change.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Stop trying to make that argument. It's not going to work.
    Because you don't want to admit that based on your definitions water is also a poison, as is the air you breathe?

Because having to admit that means you have to support a tax on water and a tax on breathing?

Or because you then have to admit that HFCS is not a poison?
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tax bad things and subsidise healthy?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Depends on the amounts of it consumed, and the conditions under which it is consumed.

Hyper-hydration does kill you, so consumed in vast enough amounts it is hazardous to your health and by that definition would qualify as a poison.
    So, is water a poison.

Water, in and of itself, is it a poison?

Yes or no.

Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    So, is water a poison.

Yes or no.
    Like I said, depends on the conditions and amounts on which it is consumed.

Under 'normal' circumstances, no. But if you encompass all conditions under which it can be taken, I guess you could think of it that way.

15+ Year Old Account

Yes or no.

Under 'normal' circumstances, no. But if you encompass all conditions under which it can be taken, I guess you could think of it that way.

So, under normal circumstances, if HFCS is not over consumed, is THAT a poison? Because it's the same deal as with water.

People just scream "poison" because it's easier to get people to knee-jerk ban or donate to their cause/ buy their product with X instead.

So is water a poison?
    this thread has gone everywhere already, i might as well join in. while in the navy, one of my jobs was dealing with the evap unit - it makes clean water from salt water. the water that comes out of there is INCREDIBLY pure, and bromine is added to bring the concentration down to tolerable (bromine is used to do this because it has similar "keeping" qualities to chlorine, but is apparently a little bit less offensive to the system). i was informed - and it's in navy manuals - that pure water is actually toxic to the system

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    So, under normal circumstances, if HFCS is not over consumed, is THAT a poison? Because it's the same deal as with water.

People just scream "poison" because it's easier to get people to knee-jerk ban or donate to their cause/ buy their product with X instead.
    Eh...on one case you could think of it as not being a poison, but on the other hand you could think of it as a poison just not being in a high enough dose to have an effect. (i.e. you just burn it off)

15+ Year Old Account
    Eh...on one case you could think of it as not being a poison, but on the other hand you could think of it as a poison just not being in a high enough dose to have an effect. (i.e. you just burn it off)
    So is Water a poison?

because if it is, then it should be under the same restrictions as HFCS

So, basically, it's a vitamin without the benefit: a little is neutral/ helps, a lot kills. Thus, wouldn't be known as a layman poison at all, but only under the strictist medical terms and only then if you consumed more than any rational person would.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    this thread has gone everywhere already, i might as well join in. while in the navy, one of my jobs was dealing with the evap unit - it makes clean water from salt water. the water that comes out of there is INCREDIBLY pure, and bromine is added to bring the concentration down to tolerable (bromine is used to do this because it has similar "keeping" qualities to chlorine, but is apparently a little bit less offensive to the system). i was informed - and it's in navy manuals - that pure water is actually toxic to the system
    not so much that it's toxic, but that it doesn't have necessary minerals in it that you could get other places but may not ^^;

So is water a poison?
    In Mexico it is.

Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    (By the way, soda is actually battery acid for your body too).
    Oh come on. Battery acid has a Ph of around 1, sodas range from 2.5-4. That's a huge difference on a log scale.

I remember, fews weeks ago, I took my Pepsi bottle, then I looked at the calories Tag on it. I said Man, I need to drink more healthy so I took the Oasis apple juice, and I took a look at the label... It had the same damn amount of Calories... I then took the Tropicana Orange juice, and again, same damn number. I did a last check on my 2% milk and it was about the same amount. Then I said damn it, and I took the Pepsi bottle back.

So what is so bad about Soda if they have the same amount of Calorie then a good brand juice. I'm suppose to drink water until the end of my life or what?
    And before but it's not the same, both had the almost the same amount of sugar, juice only trade a small percentage of glucose for fructose.

---------- Post added 2012-04-09 at 03:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    About the pure water is toxic... Your reds cells try to keep the liquid they have inside equal in mineral to the liquid in your veins by adding some into them. So if your blood become too pure(not enough salt and other mineral) from drinking pure water, your red cell will explode from getting to much blood inside of them, since you can't get pure water by adding pure water to normal water. At least is what I remember from my college science class.
    MMO-Champion, once the place to get WoW News, now the home of the haters and their clickbait and doomsaying threads

Quote Originally Posted by Zequill View Post
    So what is so bad about Soda if they have the same amount of Calorie then a good brand juice. I'm suppose to drink water until the end of my life or what?
    Where are the calories coming from? Juice really isn't that much better for you than soda... it has about the same amount of sugar (although it's natural sugar, rather than HFCS), except that it has vitamins and maybe some dietary fiber. In the milk, the calories are coming from fat, most likely.

If I look at say, Gatorade and OJ, the gatorade has half the calories for the same quantity. And fancy that, it has about half the sugar.

Pretty much.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Would this affect other sugary drinks (i.e juices, gatorade, ect.?)

OT: IDK, it's a similar situation to the fat tax in denmark. I think it helps people in the end, and maybe it could lessen the other taxes we pay...

Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    Hi Americans,

Your Government is in serious debt.
    Therefore your Government is imposing stricter austerity measures
    They start by taxing non-essential, economical mainstream products with the social reason of "unhealthy for the people" in order to justify austerity.
    If you have ever bought a mainstream product like an iphone, or shop at Walmart, then congratulations, you've helped feed the capitalist machine which has led to this situation for yourselves.
    Enjoy rising food / gas prices during the course of the rest of your lives.
    Sucks doesn't it.
    Good day.

(By the way, soda is actually battery acid for your body too).
    Youre basically right. States have made bad decisions and are in debt so they are trying to find more ways of getting more tax dollars like this and taxing internet commerce like Amazon.com. What they should be doing is getting rid of the unnecessary or inefficient(not economically sound) services they provide using your tax money. Austerity means spending less money not making more.

A better way of getting more tax money is an improved economy in which people are consuming more. Making things people buy more expensive will not help them buy more of them and improve the economy.