Thread: Soda Tax

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Actually, it does. That's why you have PE in school. It should make sure you grow to enjoy physical activities and thus make sure you enjoy exercise and thus do it for the rest of your life. When people don't move when they're older, then yeah, it's completely their fault.

You're right about lying, but no, don't let the people do whatever they want. Fizzy drinks are completely useless - if you want something sweet, get a juice or something. If you REALLY want fizzy drinks, pay more for them. I don't see why this couldn't work, it's the same as cigarettes. You ruin your health but you must pay shitload for it.
    Glad you want to live in 1984, but the rest of us sure as hell don't
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowJester View Post
    umm any tax beyond sales tax and ill punch the government in the dick. with brass knuckles. made out of broken bottles. instead of charging more for sugary drinks just teach you stupid shitty kids to have self control so they arent fatty tubbos. idk parenting or the lack there of seems to be the issue. not delicious delicious soda
    Wouldn't those be broken-glass knuckles then? Once they are made out of broken glass they cease to be brass?

But as far as self-control with fatty foods you also have to keep in mind the price... Unfortunately it seems that in most cases the less healthy and item is for you, soda or otherwise, the cheaper it is. Which IMO really, really, sucks.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    I think the issue would be if people actually took that advice and substituted "unhealthy" foods and drinks for healthy ones. The healthy ones would likely get taxed harder as a result as the motivation behind this is likely to simply squeeze more money out of the people buying the goods.

The other issue I see is that sugar substitutes that are deemed safe and healthy are added to food and drinks in massive quantities, and when it actually looks like they aren't actually all that healthy nothing changes because the money is already being made from those substitutes.
    I simply think it's extremely laughable that people cry about unhealthy, non-essential edibles are taxed higher. It's horrendously ridiculous and shows how completely spoiled we are.

The addative and substitute stuff is another debate that needs to be raised. There is actually better alternatives for sweetening then what is used instead of sugar, but alternatives are supressed by the industry that controls addatives and substitutes. Though I recently noticed there's a drink here that has one of these new, entirely natural, substitute sweeteners in it. It was good to see.
    The debate about addatives and such has been going on in my country for some time. Many companies have taken out most or all E's out of their products after they've been questioned about how much rubbish they put into their microwave food and such things.
    Buljon and broth is another example where addatives have been removed or minimized here, or alternatives without them have become available.

10+ Year Old Account
    about this poison thing. i think what he is trying to say is that HFCS is a poison on the american people because it is slowly making our country obese. it is a poison by definition but not in the terms of it "poisoning you" it is not a chemical that will kill you in a matter of hours like a poison that most people would think of. Can it be avoided? sure! is it easy? nope, the crap is in "everything".

it needs to happen. to many people abuse sugary drinks and end up obese as a result. For many people, simply cutting the sugary drinks out of their diet is the difference between a health weight and overweight.

Just like taxing cigarettes, they are taxing a public health hazard that I AM going to have to pay for through insurance premiums and medicare to take care of these fat leeches on society.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    That doesn't even make any sense. How is one's rights being taken away when someone dies on the street from an unknown aliment?

Also how do you know that user isn't concerned with those issues as well, and post accordingly?
    I meant that the reaction to this is disproportionate to other much more important things. There was no corelation between social injustice and the violence I took as examples of things that dwarf this so-called "issue".

---------- Post added 2012-04-09 at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DraconusIX View Post
    it needs to happen. to many people abuse sugary drinks and end up obese as a result. For many people, simply cutting the sugary drinks out of their diet is the difference between a health weight and overweight.

Just like taxing cigarettes, they are taxing a public health hazard that I AM going to have to pay for through insurance premiums and medicare to take care of these fat leeches on society.
    Exactly! People are just ignorant of the greater picture.

---------- Post added 2012-04-09 at 05:26 PM ----------

What the hell? Taxed fizzy drinks = 1984? Did you even read the book man? Or just ran out of arguments?
    It's exactly what I'm talking about. People are reacting to this like was some sort of social injustice, when it's just about them not being able to drink or eat less crap.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    You'll be seeing a lot more taxes on 'unhealthy' foods once the national health care system kicks into effect (provided the supreme court doesn't challenge Obama)

Found out another way to make money huh?

15+ Year Old Account
    What the hell? Taxed fizzy drinks = 1984? Did you even read the book man? Or just ran out of arguments?
    If the government has the right to mandate that you have to do something because it is "good for you" then what stops them from having the right to mandate your thought because thinking against them is "bad for you".

People should be making healthy choices because they choose to do so, not because Big Brother Sam has imposed that choice on them

Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I simply think it's extremely laughable that people cry about unhealthy, non-essential edibles are taxed higher. It's horrendously ridiculous and shows how completely spoiled we are.

The addative and substitute stuff is another debate that needs to be raised. There is actually better alternatives for sweetening then what is used instead of sugar, but alternatives are supressed by the industry that controls addatives and substitutes. Though I recently noticed there's a drink here that has one of these new, entirely natural, substitute sweeteners in it. It was good to see.
    The debate about addatives and such has been going on in my country for some time. Many companies have taken out most or all E's out of their products after they've been questioned about how much rubbish they put into their microwave food and such things.
    Buljon and broth is another example where addatives have been removed or minimized here, or alternatives without them have become available.
    The problem people have from what I can see is that they are paying for extra tax toward corn producers so they can actually make one of those substitute sweeteners, then they are paying additional tax because it's unhealthy. They are being double taxed so that food and drink can be produced cheaper by the same food producers that use this stuff. This in combination with the wide-spread use of this product is what is likely causing an uproar.

The other problem, as you pointed out, is that very few products actually contain truly healthy sugar subtitutes, and this is because HFCS is cheaper. The amount of goods that contain healthy artificial sweeteners is extremly low, so it's near-impossible to find food and drink that isn't either taxed for being unhealthy or stupidly overpriced because it is. The only alternative is to eat either very bland food for the rest of your life or prepare everything yourself.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2012-04-09 at 05:35 PM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Quote Originally Posted by Zehlkova View Post
    Boston Tea Party. I wonder what that would be like in present day...
    Probably Mountain Dew and cigarettes instead.

Love how derailed this got on page one and ahsn't got back on track

THE OP's POINT IS THAT THEY TAX YOU SO THEY CAN SUBSIDISE CORN FARMERS. THEY THEN WANT TO TAX YOU AGAIN FOR THE CORN PRODUCTS YOU'VE JUST PAYED FOR. THEY ARE TAXING YOU TWICE FOR THE SAME THING.

THe arguments about lifestyle choices and whats good or bad for you don't even have any bearing. Npo surprise the OP left the thread 3 pages ago, as everyone just wants to rail about either how great they are becuase they are healthy or how great they are becuase they aren't.

Lol.

(sorry for Caps)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything that increases the price of Unhealthy and/or Processed food is good in the long run imo. Now we just need to way to lower the price of healthier and/or truly Organic food.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Anything that increases the price of Unhealthy and/or Processed food is good in the long run imo. Now we just need to way to lower the price of healthier and/or truly Organic food.
    And limit families to one child per couple so people can feed their family and have some money left over
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    The constitution stops them?
    How is mandating thought different than mandating an activity legally? It's not. The only reason the US hasn't outlawed thoughts is because they haven't figured out how to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    And limit families to one child per couple so people can feed their family and have some money left over
    That would cause a population decrease and cause HUGE long-term problems for any country. 2 parents, 1 child; child outlives the parents and the population decreases by 1.
    My Brand!

15+ Year Old Account
    That would cause a population decrease and cause HUGE long-term problems for any country. 2 parents, 1 child; child outlives the parents and the population decreases by 1.
    that's the goal of child limits, to reduce the population

And the over population issue is adressed.... I'm not suggesting they carry it on until theres only one person left in the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    that's the goal of child limits, to reduce the population
    Is a population reduction needed though, in the context of this thread? We're talking about an unhealthy populace, not an overly populated one.

Why are we talking about reducing the size of families again?
    Last edited by Theodon; 2012-04-09 at 05:46 PM.
    My Brand!

Is a population reduction needed though, in the context of this thread? We're talking about an unhealthy populace, not an overly populated one.
    The thread was about the nonsense of taxing twice on the same thing. Someone made a blasé comment about how we should all be eating truly organic food, I was merely saying that its not affordable to the majority, until family sizes are a lot smaller