Started playing a warlock,planning on playing in MoP.How would it compare to others?

hopefully the title was descriptive enough

the short side of this story is,I have a 85 hunter,warrior,and rogue.I also currently have a Mage,Paladin,Priest,and deathknight in their 70's.

I am terribly bored of all of these classes and the only ones I haven't really tried to play are the warlock,druid,and shaman. Until last week when I started up a Undead warlock and started going through the motions and it seems fun for now.

But my biggest concern is will the warlock class be viable to play come MoP?

I certainly understand that there is a beta going on right now,skills aren't finished/tuned,and you cant really say for sure what's in store for the future of the warlock class.But given the patch notes,current beta test,and past experiences(from you other fine looking warlocks)How well are warlocks represented in the end game?(both PvE and PvP) and have been in the past?

I would honestly hate to level up a class that would only become neglected in the very end until the next expansion.I kind of regret leveling my hunter to be honest.

The developers, IMO, never really determined what they wanted the warlock to be. One thing is for certain though, the warlock you start leveling will not be the same when you hit level cap. It will be changed at least once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Maglen View Post
    The developers, IMO, never really determined what they wanted the warlock to be. One thing is for certain though, the warlock you start leveling will not be the same when you hit level cap. It will be changed at least once or twice.
    How do you mean? Warlock feels and plays like a warlock to me. It has its identity as a spellcaster of shadow and fire who uses demons to do whatever it wants.

I've leveled as demo and aff but never raided as either. Both are very fun. Once my Panda monk is out of the starting zone I need to try out a lock under the new changes. Its never a bad idea to have several max level toons to pick from. That way if one is a class that is blackballed at the time you can switch out. Hopefully one you have is the current OP class that everyone wants in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiba211 View Post
    I've leveled as demo and aff but never raided as either. Both are very fun. Once my Panda monk is out of the starting zone I need to try out a lock under the new changes. Its never a bad idea to have several max level toons to pick from. That way if one is a class that is blackballed at the time you can switch out. Hopefully one you have is the current OP class that everyone wants in the group.
    it's not so much that I want to play the most OP class,I just want to play a class that isn't just ignored for endgame.Sadly,I haven't found that one class that I can stick with for years and years on end just yet,and I was just wondering if the warlock might be the class for me

I've been a lock for seven years. We've had our great times and our really bad times. In the end I feel like the lock is like no other class and def worth checking out

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maglen View Post
    Damage over time
    Demonic Pets
    Shadow and Fire
    Pure-dps
    Ranged (melee metamorphosis) dps

What determination in particular are they missing? cause to me it seems pretty set-in-stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    Damage over time
    Demonic Pets
    Shadow and Fire
    Pure-dps

What determination in particular are they missing? cause to me it seems pretty set-in-stone.
    Are we supposed to CC (cata)? Should we burst (wotlk/MoP)?
    Do we rely on pets a lot (cata/MoP) or can we just sacrifice them and all will be fine (BC)?
    Are we careless about mana or should we take it into account as an additional resource (MoP)?
    Do we defend ourselves passively or should we now have massive shield wall-like abilities (BC/MoP)?
    Are we actually kiters and should avoid damage (wotlk/cata)?

My honest description of warlocks is: Craploads of fun, but not rewarding enough when taking into account the huge amount of effort that must be put into it (I'm looking at you PvE rotations and specifically DESTRUCTION PvP, which has led me to nerdrage so hard after losing to a bunch of idiots in arena)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenexis View Post
    My honest description of warlocks is: Craploads of fun, but not rewarding enough when taking into account the huge amount of effort that must be put into it (I'm looking at you PvE rotations and specifically DESTRUCTION PvP, which has led me to nerdrage so hard after losing to a bunch of idiots in arena)
    this , especially what's in bold .

at OP , warlocks have a different playstyle than most, and most of the time a lot of people move away from it, the best answer you are looking for is "go for it till it stops being fun"

Quote Originally Posted by Sockmaster View Post
    How do you mean? Warlock feels and plays like a warlock to me. It has its identity as a spellcaster of shadow and fire who uses demons to do whatever it wants.
    Because the warlock is by far the class which is seeing the most changes.
    You can pretty much throw out of the window most of what you know about warlocks in cataclysm because very little of it will be relevant anymore in MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    Damage over time
    Demonic Pets
    Shadow and Fire
    Pure-dps

Lack of clear direction in mechanics.
    Soul Shards -
    Meant to be meaningful, something cool to blow.
    Cataclysm - Primarily reserved for pet summons and soul fire. Therefore downright boring.
    MoP - An extra resource to be maintained for a dps buff which is bringing back the worst of the hated ISF mechanic. Completely the opposite of what cataclysm was meant to be for shards.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Lack of clear direction in mechanics.
    Soul Shards -
    Meant to be meaningful, something cool to blow.
    Cataclysm - Primarily reserved for pet summons and soul fire. Therefore downright boring.
    MoP - An extra resource to be maintained for a dps buff which is bringing back the worst of the hated ISF mechanic. Completely the opposite of what cataclysm was meant to be for shards.
    Yes, this is one of the main confusing things. Not to mention our true identity between casters. We spent wotlk and cata as being kiting/CC masters, while during BC and now in MoP we're supposed to tank everything. Also, warlocks were all about not having cooldowns, but in MoP we're having a truckload of them. Let's not forget the whole pet dilemma, where they once decide that each spec should have a pet, then not, then again yes, then not, etc...

At the moment warlocks are a pretty clunky, demanding and unrewarding class. Don't expect to be excelling any mages, who are by far a simpler and much better class in terms of sheer numbers/convenience, but in the long term they're looking like a pretty good investment, for those who're interested in them.

so many mixed responses

oh god,maybe this is why there aren't that many great warlocks around

your question was whether locks are going to be viable in MOP, yes they will be viable , if they weren't going to be viable after all the changes blizzard is doing to the class then I wonder what the hell they're doing tbh.

but the real answer is , no one can give you the answer you want, because no one can tell you if you will like the class or not, who knows what class will appeal to you more in MOP, and since I can see you leveled a lot of classes to 85 before considering lock it must mean you are naturally drawn to the style of those classes.
    I doubt you will think about locks when MOP hits since you will want to see all the goodies on your other classes and then there's the leveling process you will go through each one of them etc and gearing... until eventually we're mid MOP and then you can consider leveling your lock if you are ever bored .

In the meantime, if you are really bored ( since nothing to do atm ) might as well try out the class and see.

Hope this helped^^