Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Loud bang of unknown origin heard over England

Edit Update: Officially announced it was a couple of Typhoon aircraft responding to an emergency that broke the sound barrier.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17697328

My thoughts are it's possibly something geological, though we aren't near any plate boundaries so the chances of that are very remote. Sonic boom has been ruled out by the airport.

It also covered a huge radius (I personally heard it in Swindon and it shook my house's windows and my chair).

Any ideas/thoughts on what it could be?
    Last edited by mmocb22ba0bc6d; 2012-04-12 at 06:49 PM.

Deleted
    Most intriguing, I did not hear anything down in Portsmouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure i heard something around about that time, but personaly i just thought it was the sound of thunder and thought no more of of it, oh, I live in London by the way
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Deleted
    Did not hear anything - Newcastle.

I dont know what it could of been, but for the love of god, dont go '' OMFG, ALIENS! ALIENS! DOOMSDAY IS EARLY!''. Ffs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthwings View Post

I dont know what it could of been, but for the love of god, dont go '' OMFG, ALIENS! ALIENS! DOOMSDAY IS EARLY!''. Ffs.
    Wish it was aliens, i have been pretty bored lately. I am pretty stumped as to what the noise could have been.

Deleted
    I haven't heard anything but I live in Essex;its probably nothing special.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could it have been a jet that went a little too fast?

April fireball season, if anything it was one of the meteors exploding in the air, thats all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aliens.

=o]

On a serious note, Didnt a similar thing happen in a small town, earlier this month? The people were recording the loud bangs/booms and no one could figure out where they were coming from or what they were. I dont recall if it was in the USA or the UK. I wonder if it has anything to do with all the crazy earth quakes in the past couple of days.

I wonder whats going on with the earth?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Keith Richards back in town?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthwings View Post

Don't be silly, it's not the aliens that are going to end us we all know that. It's ourselves, so CLEARLY this was a biological weapon to release gas in the air for a widespread pandemic. [/sarcasm]

OT: However I would be very curious to see what it would be... if they figure out post it here!

Maybe another X project gone wrong (or right!), but I don't think they test them near there.
    Meh sounds like a plane to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Jet has already been ruled out, was one of my first thoughts too.

Sound was like a cannon, very noticable and shook buildings in towns/areas that heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Aliens.

=o]

On a serious note, Didnt a similar thing happen in a small town, earlier this month? The people were recording the loud bangs/booms and no one could figure out where they were coming from or what they were. I dont recall if it was in the USA or the UK. I wonder if it has anything to do with all the crazy earth quakes in the past couple of days.

I wonder whats going on with the earth?!
    The reptile people are emerging from the hollow center of the earth... =o

on topic, i like it when things like this happen and throw everything into a loop. keeps people from thinking we can explain everything, then something comes along that is way out of the ordinary and makes people think about how ordinary things can be affected by extraordinary situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    April fireball season, if anything it was one of the meteors exploding in the air, thats all.
    Fireball season? WTH is that?! Sounds awesome, plz tell me more.

*edit* Holy crap, Just did a google search, I didnt realize spring was meteor season, I knew I should have been an astrophysics major!
    Last edited by Beazy; 2012-04-12 at 06:27 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Its was heard from over 3 counties away, no jet could cause that.

Probably just the Doctor coming back from an adventure. Bring on the new season!

possibly an air-burst from a meteorite. There's that one that flattened a HUGE area of forest a few years back. We perhaps got lucky in this case and it fell apart higher in the atmosphere.

Alternatively:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7692225.stm - mild earthquake at 18:06
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2012-04-12 at 06:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Deleted
    Crab people.

We'll have to wait to know what it was until the History Channel explains how it was an alien time traveler trying to leave Atlantis.