Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Mario is TECHNICALLY bigger then pokemon, but other then mario, yeah pokemon is king...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotharfox View Post
    I disagree, there'll be a spike in subs at the start of MoP, I bet they'll see old number of 11 or 12 million. They will level out to current numbers eventually. I know several people who left that are playing other games, but are coming back for the pandas.
    I should've thought this thread subject more carefully because my entire point is..

it's the Pokemon formula Blizzard's injecting that will be the real draw and staying power of MoP..

basically all I'm trying to say.. you people have no idea of the addictive power of the Pokemon formula

it's legit & I speak firsthand

I admittedly don't play anymore and my sub is long since dead.. but if anything even gets me intrigued of swimming yet again in WoW's waters..

it's Pet-vs-Pet

I think you will all be pleasantly surprised if this will be your first experience with the pokemon formula

There will be a boost in subs for sure, but doubt they will go past 15Mil. Why are you putting an extra line in all your posts like that. Its annoying.

I don't think Pokemon is nearly as big as you think it is. Maybe in your circle of friends and the websites you frequent (including this one), but really, it wasn't as super huge as the OP makes it out to be.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Wow will never break 12,000,000 subs again. The game will only keep losing subs till it levels out somewhere.
    As far as I know it is leveled out as of now. 10 mill or so.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Enter Key, the Post.

Written by - OP.

Ontopic: No.

Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    I don't think Pokemon is nearly as big as you think it is. Maybe in your circle of friends and the websites you frequent (including this one), but really, it wasn't as super huge as the OP makes it out to be.
    Actually it holds records as most sold video game franchise next to mario. It's just as super huge as OP makes it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    Its a 90's thing...in fact I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you were born in the 90's and didn't watch/play pokemon you are part of a small minority.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The more subs it earns the worse the game actually becomes.

In fact, there's almost nothing that becomes better at the same time than popular.

Deleted
    The hype mop currently has in Asia is quite big, my Asian friends are saying that everyone is quite excited for it, and cannot wait to play it.

Pet battles, Asian lore, Pandas, these 3 are a recipe for unseen success by any Western video game in China.

If you look at the asian gaming market, it could easily double the current subbed players quantity, the question is though, how long will they stay?
    Last edited by mmoc4797852bd6; 2012-04-12 at 11:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saying chinese people will sub just to play a panda is a bit stereotypical. That's the same as saying japanese people will play just for the pokemon-like pet battles.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieprince
    seriously.. not even joking.. do you people realize the power of Pokemon?
    Magikarp.

Nobody will play MoP purely for a minigame which takes some mechanics from another franchise.
    Yes it is likely there will be some increase, but as for those sorts numbers ?
    Doubtful. Wow is not going to be hitting any new peaks, just perhaps if lucky about reaching old ones again.
    Its a 7yrd old game and its showing.

'WoW will never break 10 or 12 million subs again...'

This may be true, but I don't think Blizzard really cares at this point. I mean, even SWTOR (the big hit?) can only muster maybe 1 million subs, and that number most likely wont climb. The rest are barely on the charts. So what Blizzard has had going is about 10 times the amount of other MMOs. Most other MMO developers would kill to have even a quarter of what WoW has, and even if it declines (which it will), WoW still eclipses all other MMOs by a very large margin in terms of subs.

And therein lies part of the problem. No real competition = Lets develop WoW Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by Feio View Post
    People wont buy a quite expensive game (if you add the previous expacs) with a suscription system just because they added a little more end game content with Pokemon-ish design and playable humanoid pandas.

Dont get me wrong. I'm totally hyped about MoP aswell, but 15-20 million? Never. At least not in MoP.
    True, I could only see 15-20 mil when Sagaras is added in the game as the final boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't think 10+ million people will pay for the game, expansions, and subscriptions just to play an Azerothian version of Pokemon. If they want nothing but turn-based pet battles, they'd get a game that focuses on almost nothing but turn-based pet battles.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think MoP will top The Burning Crusade, so possibly.

Deleted
    I'm sorry, but when the primary goal and selling point of WoW becomes pet battles, this game is done for.

The Pet Battle system is only an activity, the chances of it becoming so great as you desired to call it OP, are very small.
    Blizzard can focus on stuff and sharpen them (Example: Dalaran, Ulduar) but eventually it'll end and there won't be enough content to keep people busy with 'Pokemon battles' that much.
    The only way it'll last long is if they make it a bit grindy, and they know that they shouldn't focus on it too much, and I'm sure they'll try not to.

200 million+ pokemon games have been sold. That comes with the clean and polish one comes to expect from a pokemon game. I'm not saying wow will boom, but if even a fraction of that playerbase plays wow... well you can put 1 and 1 together...

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamohn View Post
    Magikarp.
    Magikarp uses splash! Nothing happens...

Anyway I don't see it boosting their numbers much aside from maybe being something that is part of an influence on people to start playing/restart/or continue playing.