Question [Shadow] I don't seem to be pulling enough dps..

My main is a moonkin but my guild asked me to gear my Shadow Priest.
    I'm inexperienced with shadow so I've been reading up on it.
    The plan for last sunday was to do 3/8hc on the alt run.
    But due to my low dps (and some other) we couldn't manage Ultra hc.

Except from the shoulder enchant are there things I should change reforge wise and rotation wise?

Armory:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...A9cia/advanced

WOL Ultra normal:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/f...?s=7532&e=7791

The thing that sticks out right away is your group synergy, not you in particular. Your group has horrible synergy for casters, which probably explains why all three of you casters are the bottom three dps.

Considering your gear isn't that great(390 weapon + shitty trinkets), and your group synergy is terrible for casters, 28k as shadow is pretty decent.

Another thing to keep in mind is that shadowpriests are heavily dependant on gear.

Secondly, you need to know when you need to refresh your VT and DP, let's say you put your dotd up at the start and 5 seconds afterwards you mindblasted with 1+ orbs and your power torrent/trinket procced. At this time you should IMMEDIATLY refresh your vt/dp to make sure that they benefit from your procs. To learn how to do this I would advise you to start out with an addon called ShadowPriest Dot Timers. This addon toght me how to play my shadowpriest when I was still learning.

Thirdly, I don't think you had mana issues in between fiend and AA, but if you did, weave in a couple of SW in your rotation, that way you won't loose a humongous load of damage which you would if you used dispersion. And another tip for if you soak at Ultraxion; make a /cancelaura dispersion macro and use it after you are hit by the Hour of Twilight, it will save you some precious downtime.

All in all, your group didn't have all the ranged buffs, 28k is decent, but I am sure that if you haven't tried my tips, when you do try it you will see a significant increase in dps.

You have the four piece tier bonus, but you aren't using a MS/MB spam rotation. Read this post at H2P for more information. Test it on the dummies, and decide if you prefer the MF filler or cancel aura macro option. Chain run the new heroics for a Foul Gift of the Demon Lord trinket out of Well of Eternity. Since you can't reach the 3202 haste point with your gear, you should shoot for 2589 haste and forge the rest into mastery as much as possible. That coupled with a MS/MB spam rotation should help you boost your dps by quite a bit.

Why weren't you taking one of the hour of twilights? Two tanks, two shadow priests, hunter and rogue can do the 3 sets of 2 taking virtually zero damage. The rogue should be combat for Ultraxion, it's a lot higher DPS for that one. If you're not sure what buffs you are getting from the raid, check out Raid Comp from MMO-Champion to see if your hunter can supplement anything with a pet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Raid composition counts for a ton, trying to get all your castery buffs is critical - if you are going to reroll for your raid, reroll sometihng that synergizes imo. Also, Boomkins aren't bad right now - unless there is a serious reason for the swapping to shadow I'm not following - you might consider going back to Boomy?

8% spell damage debuff, 10% spellpower buff, 5% spell crit debuff (scorch, shadow bolt), and Dark Intent all have an Enormous impact on shadow's dps - trying to get everyone in your raid as many buffs as possible is essential.

For most fights, the simplest thing to getting more damage out of a spriest or boomkin for that matter - is MOAR DOTS - and targetting a tank just before an aoe phase begins to pre-sear the spawn spot, potentially with a pre-fade before it so you don't instantly pull aggro off the tank. Keeping up Empowered Shadows for either of the above is key, empowered shadows can be 30-50% additional dot / channeled damage depending on your mastery - that's an Insane amount (with 4pc, it's less of a worry).

Shadow and Boomkins both shine in multi-target scenarios and aoe phases - but for single target many people have covered or cited good resources already.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2012-04-13 at 04:40 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SkillOverKill View Post
    Raid composition counts for a ton, trying to get all your castery buffs is critical - if you are going to reroll for your raid, reroll sometihng that synergizes imo. Also, Boomkins aren't bad right now - unless there is a serious reason for the swapping to shadow I'm not following - you might consider going back to Boomy?

8% spell damage debuff, 10% spellpower buff, 5% spell crit debuff (scorch, shadow bolt), and Dark Intent all have an Enormous impact on shadow's dps - trying to get everyone in your raid as many buffs as possible is essential.

For most fights, the simplest thing to getting more damage out of a spriest or boomkin for that matter - is MOAR DOTS - and targetting a tank just before an aoe phase begins to pre-sear the spawn spot, potentially with a pre-fade before it so you don't instantly pull aggro off the tank. Keeping up Empowered Shadows for either of the above is key, empowered shadows can be 30-50% additional dot / channeled damage depending on your mastery - that's an Insane amount (with 4pc, it's less of a worry).

Shadow and Boomkins both shine in multi-target scenarios and aoe phases - but for single target many people have covered or cited good resources already.

They had a boomkin in the raid, so they had the 8% spell damage debuff from earth and moon (and an unholy DK), and there was a shaman in the group giving spell power (not the 10% from ele, but still had something). Their buffs weren't THAT terrible, yes they could be better, but they weren't without anything.

Make sure you are using a DoT tracker and not letting them drop. Your DoT uptime on Yor'sahj was really low. You need to keep DoTs on the boss at all times. Refresh them right before the ooze spawns and then immediately after it's killed. Make sure to keep them up when you are mind searing adds down.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakamae View Post
    They had a boomkin in the raid, so they had the 8% spell damage debuff from earth and moon (and an unholy DK), and there was a shaman in the group giving spell power (not the 10% from ele, but still had something). Their buffs weren't THAT terrible, yes they could be better, but they weren't without anything.

Make sure you are using a DoT tracker and not letting them drop. Your DoT uptime on Yor'sahj was really low. You need to keep DoTs on the boss at all times. Refresh them right before the ooze spawns and then immediately after it's killed. Make sure to keep them up when you are mind searing adds down.
    Ya I couldn't follow the link earlier so didn't actually know their raid comp - but given people had already mentioned it I figured that was something to stress, since its definitely important.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Thnx for all the tips so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakamae View Post
    You have the four piece tier bonus, but you aren't using a MS/MB spam rotation. Read this post at H2P for more information. Test it on the dummies, and decide if you prefer the MF filler or cancel aura macro option. Chain run the new heroics for a Foul Gift of the Demon Lord trinket out of Well of Eternity. Since you can't reach the 3202 haste point with your gear, you should shoot for 2589 haste and forge the rest into mastery as much as possible. That coupled with a MS/MB spam rotation should help you boost your dps by quite a bit.
    I got a Foul gift of the demon lord. So replace DMC:V with the FouL?

I'm reading up on the MS/MB rotation.

EDIT. Cancel my ramblings lol