Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

[Official] Ivy Bridge (3570k and 3770k)

Well some more interesting news on the 3770k..

http://www.custompcreview.com/2012/0...eaked-tdp-95w/

I also saw a screen of price drops for IB before it's even released. And the talk of high temps/spikes are still coming in.

I am really starting to lean towards x79 w/ 3930k for my build. I guess that I may just have to wait and see, and try to continue to be patient.

Just curious what you guys thoughts on it are, and if anyone has seen these things.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is pretty interesting I wonder if it will be the same for the 3750k as well everybody says there is a 15percent increase in performance but I don't know if Im so sure.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ya it seems these chips are going to awesome when at stock comparatively speaking, and great for laptops. When it comes to overclocking is where there are a lot of questions up in the air atm. I was surprised to see the TDP at 95w when that seemed to be a big deal with the IB 3770k, but again I could be mistaken also.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voorhees83 View Post
    Ya it seems these chips are going to awesome when at stock comparatively speaking, and great for laptops.
    i am not entirely sure about that. When looking to upgrade my current i7, the 95W TDP, makes me shy away. I mean, 95w is allot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enohpi View Post
    i am not entirely sure about that. When looking to upgrade my current i7, the 95W TDP, makes me shy away. I mean, 95w is allot.
    You realize the other i7s are 125 - 130W TDP?

How does that make you shy away exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    You realize the other i7s are 125 - 130W TDP?

How does that make you shy away exactly?
    Sandy Bridge i7, ie, i7 2600, i7 2600K and i7 2700K are 95w TDP.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I must say this is a depressing turn of events, for lack of a better term. Was really hoping to see some awesome results from Ivy, but alas it seems Intel is having trouble. I wonder what they'll say if this continues down the path I think it's going.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I must say this is a depressing turn of events, for lack of a better term. Was really hoping to see some awesome results from Ivy, but alas it seems Intel is having trouble. I wonder what they'll say if this continues down the path I think it's going.
    Not really trouble per say, with it being a shrink so assuming it can take a larger thermal load than at first glance is kind of a good thing. Basically is saying that either A they can maintain the same temps with equal or better performance than the previous model or w/ less heat they cannot perform = or better . Frankyly put
    TDP is heat dissipation measured in watts. It is not the same as actual power consumption.

Deleted
    Hmm, people are apparantly also saying IB OC's worse on air than SB.
    While I'm going to use a H100 anyway, this is till shit news

Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    If it overclocks worse on air it overclocks worse on liquid as well. H100 being =/= NH-D14 so on air or not it would simply OC worse.

Deleted
    Building high(sometimes unrealistic) expectations based on leaked/theorycrafted information leads to dissapointment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    The H100 is hardly more than air cooling, it does not even touch a true liquid cooling setup. For the sake of it, the H100 did not beat the NH-D14 or Silver Arrow by a landslide or anything, it was a very close win.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    If it overclocks worse on air it overclocks worse on liquid as well. H100 being =/= NH-D14 so on air or not it would simply OC worse.
    Hm, well I just thought since they didn't mention OC-ing with water cooling that it was only air that was worse.

I'm quite curious if this is only the i7's that have this problem or the i5's as well.
    ( guess they both have it, since they blame the new hardware for it )

I want to start building my new rig as soon as possible, I'm not so sure anymore about buying the 3570k on launchday now
    IB is supposed to have better performance, but if it OC's worse, well..hm..

10+ Year Old Account
    Get an IB motherboard, and stick an i5-2500K/i7-2600K in there, it will do better in the updated mobo from what charts have shown (at least a little bit) plus more and newer features.

Or go all IB if you want. However I think I'd just stick with the SB CPU, based on what we're seeing so far.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Barely improved clocks, TDP not changed, bad overclock-ability and only a very small IPC-increase. Doesn't sound good. Wonder if reviewers will clarify if they have chips from the consumer batches. They probably don't have that :/

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Sandy Bridge i7, ie, i7 2600, i7 2600K and i7 2700K are 95w TDP.
    I was referring to any other then Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge.

I may have forgotten to add that.

Deleted
    Get an IB motherboard, and stick an i5-2500K/i7-2600K in there, it will do better in the updated mobo from what charts have shown (at least a little bit) plus more and newer features.

Or go all IB if you want. However I think I'd just stick with the SB CPU, based on what we're seeing so far.
    Yeah I'm seriously considering getting a 2500k now.

I think I'm going to wait a bit longer till the official release and read some reviews and see what they have to say.

Current information is still based on leaks, so I'm not going to jump the gun here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said in another thread, or was it this one? Idk. Waiting to buy stuff like this is a very intelligent move, because you never know if there will be a recall (Corsair SATA III SSDs, P67 Mobos)and then you get more reviews/information that is actually for real, not leaks/rumors.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    The H100 is hardly more than air cooling, it does not even touch a true liquid cooling setup. For the sake of it, the H100 did not beat the NH-D14 or Silver Arrow by a landslide or anything, it was a very close win.
    Difference is the potential, yes sound is increased, but the H100 has a superior cooling potential if you equip 4 fans for example.
    The D14 or Silver Arrow are too close to call with the H100 with stock setup yes, but that's not really WHY we buy the H100 is it?

We want the raw cooling power needed for preventing a thermonuclear reaction in our PCs.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    DeltrusDisc I think it was the AMD gpu price lowering thread that you were talking about that but yeah It's best to wait on new products to see official reviews from the masses it's the same with a car you don't buy a car that just came out with a new motor the first day its released you let them tinker with it for a year or so then buy that car.