Page 39 of 105 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Now can i get Malice — Improves the damage done by conditions like burning, poison, confusion, and bleeding. as a stat on a item? or is that just for traits

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solidsheep View Post
    Might be kinda of a dumb question but does Power also increase dmg of dots or is that only for the base attack dmg. Also what stats do we get from gear is it just the the 4 main stats Power,Precision,Toughness and Vitality.
    if by "dots" you mean conditions then no it does not
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    I really wish they showed the traits of that thief from the video I linked. He had insane damage, but the fortitude of tissue paper. Also couldn't tell what level they were.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now can i get Malice — Improves the damage done by conditions like burning, poison, confusion, and bleeding. as a stat on a item? or is that just for traits
    as far as i know, yes, you can get that stat from items.

keep in mind though, that gear will have much less of an impact on your stats than in most other mmos. your traits will always make quite a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    as far as i know, yes, you can get that stat from items.

keep in mind though, that gear will have much less of an impact on your stats than in most other mmos. your traits will always make quite a difference.
    9 different stats in this game its gonna important to have the right ones for what you want to do

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I really wish they showed the traits of that thief from the video I linked. He had insane damage, but the fortitude of tissue paper. Also couldn't tell what level they were.
    it was structured pvp, they are ALWAYS lvl 80 in there :P

as for the traits, seeing as how he was going pretty much all out damage even with his utility spells, i'm guessing he had a lot of power and precision traits.

9 different stats in this game its gonna important to have the right ones for what you want to do
    of course. gear will matter, and so will the right gear choices.
    just not quite as much as in wow, for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    it was structured pvp, they are ALWAYS lvl 80 in there :P

as for the traits, seeing as how he was going pretty much all out damage even with his utility spells, i'm guessing he had a lot of power and precision traits.

of course. gear will matter, and so will the right gear choices.
    just not quite as much as in wow, for example.
    Are you given all the traits even when you're upscaled to level 80?

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you given all the traits even when you're upscaled to level 80?
    not for wvwvw

for hotjoin and structured yes, except for banned traits
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    not for wvwvw

for hotjoin and structured yes, except for banned traits
    there are banned traits? like which ones?

10+ Year Old Account
    there are banned traits? like which ones?
    none yet, but anet has said that they will ban specific traits from pvp if they deem it
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, Power doesn't affect Bleed, Burn, or Poison? O_o

Power is an offensive character attribute. Each attribute point put into this attribute increases the attack statistic by one, which increases damage for all attacks.
    Attack is a property that is listed on the hero panel that directly increases all damage dealt by the character. This statistic is primarily improved by increasing the Power attribute.
    I really want to double-check this now.

I get why they might have it work that way, because then Malice and Power can be redundant... but not if Malice affects condition damage far more than Power does.

Also: There's TEN attributes, not nine. The tenth one is profession-specific. I don't know if you can find it on gear, and I don't know how it works when it is on gear. (Like, does Willpower show on gear so that everybody sees it as Willpower, or does it change based on who sees/equip it? Or is it only on gear restricted to your profession?)
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Wait, Power doesn't affect Bleed, Burn, or Poison? O_o

I really want to double-check this now.

I get why they might have it work that way, because then Malice and Power can be redundant... but not if Malice affects condition damage far more than Power does.

Also: There's TEN attributes, not nine. The tenth one is profession-specific.
    conditions do damage, not the players. since they are using the engine from GW1 (while heavily modified) i would expect this behavior to remain. thus power wouldnt effect them. in addition they get their own stat so having it double dip like that seems redundant (yes i know crits double dip but they have had trouble making crits feel special enough)
    The Original Ganksta

DOT stands for Damage Over Time....why do people get so pissy on this forum the second they think someone is linking wow and gw2.....sigh

10+ Year Old Account
    conditions do damage, not the players. since they are using the engine from GW1 (while heavily modified) i would expect this behavior to remain. thus power wouldnt effect them. in addition they get their own stat so having it double dip like that seems redundant (yes i know crits double dip but they have had trouble making crits feel special enough)
    I don't believe for a second that it double-dips any more than Prowess does. Why get more Prowess when you can get more Power?

The way crits work is (150 + Prowess) damage. My Thief build, with traits alone, is already at 180%, if it works the way I'm thinking.

But why didn't I just get more Power instead? Because Prowess specifically makes crits better, and I imagine it makes them stronger at a far faster pace (per point) than Power would, which would make everything stronger.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    DOT stands for Damage Over Time....why do people get so pissy on this forum the second they think someone is linking wow and gw2.....sigh
    because it matters in this context

name a dot that is not a condition, this is important to your question im not just being a total asshole

this time

jerk
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, it's technically the case that "DoTs" in WoW, are just debuffs that do damage, just how "DoTs" in GW2 are conditions that do damage.

---------- Post added 2012-04-19 at 05:15 PM ----------

name a dot that is not a condition
    Name a WoW debuff that is not a DoT.

There's actually a lot of them. A lot more than there are in GW2.

Now who's the jerk?

In this context "DoT" means the exact same thing in GW2 that it does in WoW: Damage Over Time effect.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe for a second that it double-dips any more than Prowess does. Why get more Prowess when you can get more Power?

The way crits work is (150 + Prowess) damage. My Thief build, with traits alone, is already at 180%, if it works the way I'm thinking.

But why didn't I just get more Power instead? Because Prowess specifically makes crits better, and I imagine it makes them stronger at a far faster pace (per point) than Power would, which would make everything stronger.
    its more about makign them each exciting, not which is better. look at the earlier dev blogs, they said they wanted crits to be special, with earlier builds generating extra conditions only on crits.

they've already spiced up the conditions, i dont think they have to make them grow off of power. crits on the other hand in these builds seems rather... bleh

---------- Post added 2012-04-19 at 04:18 PM ----------

To be fair, it's technically the case that "DoTs" in WoW, are just debuffs that do damage, just how "DoTs" in GW2 are conditions that do damage.

---------- Post added 2012-04-19 at 05:15 PM ----------

Name a WoW debuff that is not a DoT.

There's actually a lot of them. A lot more than there are in GW2.

Now who's the jerk?

In this context "DoT" means the exact same thing in GW2 that it does in WoW: Damage Over Time effect.
    no shit

but there is a differnce between a "dot" and a "condition" when it comes to stats

you know, when you have stats the specifically buff only condition damage. the distinction is important this time
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    you know, when you have stats the specifically buff only condition damage. the distinction is important this time
    No, it's really not. Malice improves condition damage only. i.e. DoT damage.

There is no other form of DoT effect unless you, somehow, chose to think of DoT as "DPS" instead. The terminology in this situation cannot possibly be confusing to you.

DoT damage and condition damage are one and the same.

---------- Post added 2012-04-19 at 05:22 PM ----------

its more about makign them each exciting, not which is better. look at the earlier dev blogs, they said they wanted crits to be special, with earlier builds generating extra conditions only on crits.

they've already spiced up the conditions, i dont think they have to make them grow off of power. crits on the other hand in these builds seems rather... bleh
    Makes them plenty special imo. I don't see the problem here. The interaction of Power and Malice should cause something very interesting.

IMO, it's way too confusing to have Power not affect a specific source of damage. It's your power. How powerful you are. It should affect all damage.

ANet is big on keeping things simple like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it's really not. Malice improves condition damage only. i.e. DoT damage.

There is no other form of DoT effect unless you, somehow, chose to think of DoT as "DPS" instead. The terminology in this situation cannot possibly be confusing to you.

DoT damage and condition damage are one and the same.

---------- Post added 2012-04-19 at 05:22 PM ----------

Makes them plenty special imo. I don't see the problem here. The interaction of Power and Malice should cause something very interesting.

IMO, it's way too confusing to have Power not affect a specific source of damage. It's your power. How powerful you are. It should affect all damage.

ANet is big on keeping things simple like that.
    ok allow me to rephrase

if its not from a condition: yes power increases it

if its from a condition: no, malice does

if you get butthurt about people using correct terminology when using it would be to avoid possible ambiguity (this situation) i advise to you join the tea party
    The Original Ganksta

no shit

but there is a differnce between a "dot" and a "condition" when it comes to stats

I don't think you understand what DOT means.... its just a type dmg out put just like calling your self a melee or range dps...if that helps you understand