Onboard LAN Problem. Keeps Disconnecting. Have a Question also.

So, recently I have been having a lot of trouble with my onboard lan. It keeps disconnecting in intervals of 10 mins for about 5 seconds of disconnected time.
    When I check the back of my computer while the connection get disconnected, the Ethernet port lights are off, and they suddenly come back on when it reconnects.
    Its the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, which is located on my mobo. My motherboard is the MSI P67A-C43
    My connection is fine otherwise, I'm just sick of the disconnecting every 10-20 minutes, and it's completely unpredictable when gaming.

My question is, would grabbing an NIC be an instant fix? Here would be one for example.
    Link <---From Newegg

I heard it actually improves the connection versus the onboard ethernet, and it reduces the stress on the cpu under full load. I was just wondering if this would fix my issue of disconnecting, as well as possibly improving the connection speed.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by AlexTheGreat; 2012-04-22 at 07:30 AM.

I'd probably update the drivers and possibly make sure the cable in use isn't damaged, if there's a break somewhere in the cable it could cause symptoms similar to that which you described.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    I'd probably update the drivers and possibly make sure the cable in use isn't damaged, if there's a break somewhere in the cable it could cause symptoms similar to that which you described.
    Drivers have been updated. Cable is a couple weeks old, cat 6e. nothing is wrong with it, tested it on my labtop and it works fine. Also, how could a faulty cable cause the ethernet port lights to shut off?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the lights only light up if there's a good connection.

And that card would be fine, remember to switch off the on board LAN in the bios.

Quote Originally Posted by Conzar View Post
    Because the lights only light up if there's a good connection.

And that card would be fine, remember to switch off the on board LAN in the bios.
    Yeah when it doesn't shut off, there's always 1 solid green light and one flashing orange light. My ping is always low, regardless of the internet drops. Also, my upload/dwnload are still fine as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would look at the router long before I would look at the NIC. The moment your network disconnects open command prompt and ping 127.0.0.1 - if you get a response there's a 99% chance the NIC is completely fine. Then ping your router's address, if you don't get a response then either it's the cable OR it's the router/ethernet port having hiccups.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I would look at the router long before I would look at the NIC. The moment your network disconnects open command prompt and ping 127.0.0.1 - if you get a response there's a 99% chance the NIC is completely fine. Then ping your router's address, if you don't get a response then either it's the cable OR it's the router/ethernet port having hiccups.
    The 127.0.0.1 wasn't recognized in command prompt.

Deleted
    "Not recognized" sounds like you forgot to add the word "ping"

Command prompt: ping localhost