Deleted

Computer Upgrade / Advice Needed

Hi guys,

Thinking about upgrading my PC, as I want to start streaming with it, but I find the CPU hits 100% load under a 1080p stream on BF3.

Currently using

Phenom 965BE x4 OC'd to 3.7ghz
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 AMD 990X Socket AM3/AM3+ SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 DDR3 ATX Motherboard
    Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz C9 Dual Channel Kit with Intel XMP Support

Now it's either between upgrading just the CPU and getting a AMD FX-8120 Black Editon 8 Core 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ Zambezi 125W CPU, Retail for £150 which means i dont have to replace the motherboard, although I have heard the FX series is a bit of a flop and really doesnt perform well

or

Replacing the motherboard and processor, and I've been looking at price/performance and I've come across these

Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 Socket 1155 DDR3 ATX Motherboard £92
    Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked 3.30GHz Sandy Bridge Quad Core 6Mb Cache LGA1155 Processor, Retail £167

I was wondering what your opinions were?

Anything I buy motherboard wise has to support crossfire as I currently use two HD6850's which are both overclocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifuriex View Post
    Hi guys,

Thinking about upgrading my PC, as I want to start streaming with it, but I find the CPU hits 100% load under a 1080p stream on BF3.

Currently using

Phenom 965BE x4 OC'd to 3.7ghz
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 AMD 990X Socket AM3/AM3+ SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 DDR3 ATX Motherboard
    Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz C9 Dual Channel Kit with Intel XMP Support

Now it's either between upgrading just the CPU and getting a AMD FX-8120 Black Editon 8 Core 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ Zambezi 125W CPU, Retail for £150 which means i dont have to replace the motherboard, although I have heard the FX series is a bit of a flop and really doesnt perform well

or

Replacing the motherboard and processor, and I've been looking at price/performance and I've come across these

Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 Socket 1155 DDR3 ATX Motherboard £92
    Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked 3.30GHz Sandy Bridge Quad Core 6Mb Cache LGA1155 Processor, Retail £167

I was wondering what your opinions were?

Anything I buy motherboard wise has to support crossfire as I currently use two HD6850's which are both overclocked.

the fx series isnt bad and would be an improvement over what you have, however for gaming i would recommend a sandybridge or ivy bridge which is very soon you see a huge gain

If £150 vs £300 doesn't matter, I would prefer the the 2500k / z77. But the 8120 would probably(?) fix your problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    i5 2500k with a z77 mobo, is your best bet. The 2500k so far has been the ruler of the roost so far within gaming, especially on a price to performance ratio and is the go to recommendation on these and most other forums generally speaking. That mobo I linked is crossfire and SLI ready. It supports both Sandy and Ivy bridge processors if you were to decide to get a Ivy Bridge i5 instead.

Deleted
    I'm assuming my ram would be fine in the new mobo? And is there much difference between the i7 and i5, except price?

---------- Post added 2012-04-24 at 09:37 AM ----------

Also on the same mark, the CPU benchmark charts show the FX 8120 outperforms the i5 slightly, is this a true representation?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifuriex View Post
    I'm assuming my ram would be fine in the new mobo? And is there much difference between the i7 and i5, except price?

---------- Post added 2012-04-24 at 09:37 AM ----------

Also on the same mark, the CPU benchmark charts show the FX 8120 outperforms the i5 slightly, is this a true representation?
    In multi-threaded applications only. Games and applications that use 4 threads or less will preform better with the i5. The i7 is useful for multitasking and multi-threaded applications but doesn't really have a benefit to games.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lucifer,

I agree with everybody here in terms of the i5-2500k +z77 mobo's.

As far as your ram, I know my Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 had issues with 1.5+ volt ram so you might want to see if they are compatible with the z77's.