Quote Originally Posted by Juno86 View Post
    Honest to god, I feel sorry for Luongo. Having lived in BC since I was 2, I've had to deal with the 90% retarded Vancouver fans, and no one deserves that fate. The 10% of them who are honest Hockey fans, I feel sorry at the fact you are surrounded by the others. Poor Luongo, had a great year, had a great first two games yet the team itself, is what let Vancouver and Luongo down. Yet, how much outrage from the fans are directed at the team? Maybe 3%? 97% is directed at him! For no reason! The Canucks couldn't buy a goal during the playoffs or the later half of the season. Yes, you won your last games, but for a team that is generally pretty good about the offense, you had 0 that you could count. Kesler went how long without a goal? Its one of the major reasons I can't stand the Canucks, not just the majority of the players, but its THE DAMN FANS THAT DRIVE ME UP THE WALL.
    I've felt the same way with how the city treated him. But I think regardless, he has to go. Schneider is the teams future, and I'm sure a lot of teams at the brink would like a goalie like him.

Also: Gillis: We won a lot of games in end, where I thought our team was somewhat indifferent. Met a team in playoffs that was very well coached

I'm reaching here, but I think AV might be out too.
    I remember it all too well

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    They need to move Vinny, his one good season got him 7.7M a season.
    I can see them doing that with the leadership qualities Stamkos has.

Assuming they can, of course.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Problem is that the Hawks have three "significant" contracts coming off the books this year, Oduya at $3.5m, Burnetter at $2m, and Morrison at $1.25m. Those combined with current cap space and estimated cap growth is only going to open up $11 million or so in cap space with a number of roster spots needing to be filled even without making upgrades. Probably going to take signficant trade action to bolster the Hawks at all barring any massive changes to the CBA.

But honestly, with the ridiculous parity in the West this year, couldn't you just see a small revolt inside the owners where the big clubs are sick of supporting the small clubs with revenue sharing which allows them to keep their best players and still compete without shelling out too much of their own money? Detroit, New York, Philly, Pittsburgh, and the Canadian teams are essentially paying for the Phoenix Coyotes to be in the second round. Chicago essentially paid a fair portion of the salary of the team that just knocked them out of the playoffs lol. I could see the NHL moving to the NBA model allowing big teams to spend significantly more if they so desire but with heavy financial penalties associated. Such a system would free up mad money for Chicago as they are one of the biggest markets in the NHL now.

Well biggest market until that team disappears into obscurity again. How many times has Detroit been called a fallen empire this week in the media? Does that even make sense? Detroit won the Cup in 2008, made the Finals the year after, made the second round the two years after that, and got knocked out the first round this year. Chicago won the Cup and got knocked out in the first round twice both times barely even making the playoffs. If Dallas doesn't completely blow it year before last Chicago doesn't even make the playoffs after winning the Cup. If the Pacific wasn't such garbage this year (or Calgary had a real team but that won't happen ever) Chicago would have been the 8th or 9th seed with the way they played this year. Not saying Detroit isn't slipping, because they certainly are, but the castle isn't exactly crumbling into ruin.

Speaking of Detroit, how about this trade Franzen nonsense? He didn't have a good playoff certainly, but how many guys in the NHL make a little over $135,000 per goal. Not per point, which is considered pretty good, PER GOAL. He made $136,000 per goal this year ($70,000 per point). Malkin made nearly $175,000 per goal, Stamkos $125,000, Ovie $250,000. Of the 35 players that scored 29+ goals this season, Franzen's $136,053 ranked 17th. Best value for the money guy in that group, Jordan Eberle at $34,069 per goal. Worst value Rick Nash $260,000 per goal or Ovie if you exclude Nash because he was on Columbus. It is insanely hard to get Franzen's production on Franzen's salary. Excluding guys on rookie contracts there are about a dozen players in the entire league that out perform him dollar for dollar. Why would Detroit trade him when you are getting great production at a replacement level salary.
    my problem with franzen is he played half the season like he just didnt care. can you imagine the production we would get out of him if he played the entire season instead of floating?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Raise your hand if you are surprised by this. Anyone? Ya that is what I thought. The fans have turned on him. The organization has turned on him. Why wouldn't he want to get the hell out of Dodge as soon as he is able? Hopefully he doesn't get stuck in an absolutely abysmal location like Columbus. No player deserves that fate.
    Not at all surprised to be honest. However, I think the fans need to lay off him because the team didn't show up to play against LA. It's kinda pathetic how they have treated him and I doubt they can trade him over Schneider. If management chooses to stick with Luongo, which I think they should as they will get more out of trading Schneider and I don't think he is the answer Vancouver needs. They need players up front who are committed to playing the game properly and I think a culture change is needed in the locker room. If their coach can't get the team to show up in the playoffs and play a game that will let them win, then a coaching change is needed.

---------- Post added 2012-04-24 at 06:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I can see them doing that with the leadership qualities Stamkos has.

Assuming they can, of course.
    They can't, no one is going to take Lecavalier's horrendous contract unless they are getting a bunch of picks as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Chat's up for the Florida/NJ game.
    http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=#mmoc-hockey

Come in and discuss the game or rage about the teams that are left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    Also: Gillis: We won a lot of games in end, where I thought our team was somewhat indifferent. Met a team in playoffs that was very well coached

I didn't see that part, but I did see Gillis talking about AV getting two Pres Trophies and about getting to Game 7 of the SCF, which points away from firing him.

Maybe he has no idea what to do about AV.
    Last edited by Zoma; 2012-04-24 at 11:58 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    I've felt the same way with how the city treated him. But I think regardless, he has to go. Schneider is the teams future, and I'm sure a lot of teams at the brink would like a goalie like him.

If they fire the coach they are out of their mind. You look at the Sharks, and they very much look like a team that has plateaued far short of the goal of a Cup. The Canucks were literally right there last year. They could practically taste the sweet sweet metal on their lips and just fell short. Getting knocked out in the first round happens. It certainly isn't the first time and won't be the last. If the Wings would have fired Babcock when they got bounced by Edmonton in 2006 in the first round, we don't win the Cup in 2008 or make it in 2009. He is that good of a coach. I think AV could be the same. They could use more of an on ice presence on the team, not necessarily a new coach. Stranger things have happened though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Devils take it to push a game 7. Crossing my fingers!

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    They can't, no one is going to take Lecavalier's horrendous contract unless they are getting a bunch of picks as well.
    Wrong context.

What I mean is I can see Tampa getting rid of Lecavalier. I never said they would be able to.

Also, biiiig game tonight! GO CAPS!
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    nucks did themself in moving hodgson, the lack of secondary scoring (or scoring in general) gillis should be fired.. he did the same thing Muckler did in Ottawa built a team to be the leafs (Gillis to beat Boston) only problem was.. he forgot you need to get there first

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anassi View Post
    Soooo, Vezina candidates will be announced on wednesday, who do you guys think will make it? I'd go with Quick, Lundqvist, Rinne, in that order. Maaaybe Smith instead of Rinne, but that would be a bit disappointing as a Preds supporter. Still think it's a 50:50 chance though. Seeing anyone besides those four as the finalists would be a major surprise for me.
    Nailed it! Not that this wasn't seen coming a mile away.
    Last edited by mmoceaf424ea73; 2012-04-25 at 03:24 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    And here I was thinking the NHL couldn't possibly be incompetent in their scheduling of important playoff games when they have three cable netowrks to show games on this year. The Rangers/Senators and Devils/Panthers both play a game 7 tomorrow night. The Rangers/Senators game will start at 7EST on NBC Sports Network. The Florida/New Jersey game will start at 8:30 on NHLN and be joined in progress on NBCSN at the conclusion of the other game. If the Rangers/Sens game goes to OT, chances are good about none of the Devils/Panthers will be on a national television network included in almost every single tv package. Why the hell would they not have Florida/New Jersey on CNBC, a national cable network and relegate it to NHLN a network often requiring certain packages to receive? NBCSN is blowing the doors off the other stations for ratings, but CNBC isn't that far behind (highest rated game was Yotes/Hawks game 6 at 621,000 viewers good for about the 14th most watched playoff game (everything above in was on NBCSN). NHLN hasn't done nearly as well. Ratings overall are up 18% compared to last year which is ridiculously good. Still, makes you kind of sad when roughly less than 2 million people are watching the NHL each night, less than 1 in every 150 people in the US.

In even more awesome news, NBCSN is apparently televising EVERY single USA World's game LIVE except for their first game on May 5th that will be shown later in the day. That is nuts and I can't wait although I will probably be at work and have to watch recorded games therefore defeating them showing them live for me lol. I am so glad NBCSN isn't Versus anymore if they are going to keep doing awesome stuff like showing World's games.

For those wondering, CNBC won't be airing hockey because they are showing: The Costco Craze: Inside the Warehouse Giant.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-04-25 at 06:31 PM.

Let's go Sens, Caps, and Cats! Let's have an all underdog playoffs!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesfan18 View Post
    Let's go Sens, Caps, and Cats! Let's have an all underdog playoffs!
    hard for a 2 seed to be an underdog.

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    hard for a 2 seed to be an underdog.
    Tell that to NBC. We're still the underdogs. We were when we went against the Sharks and we are once again.

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 03:14 PM ----------

Norris Trophy nominees tomorrow. I predict Petro, Karlsson, and Chara.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell that to NBC. We're still the underdogs. We were when we went against the Sharks and we are once again.

Petro won't be nominated, he was the fifth best D-man this year.

He had a fantastic season, but Weber, Lids, Chara and Karlsson were better.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-04-25 at 08:27 PM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    nucks did themself in moving hodgson, the lack of secondary scoring (or scoring in general) gillis should be fired.. he did the same thing Muckler did in Ottawa built a team to be the leafs (Gillis to beat Boston) only problem was.. he forgot you need to get there first
    Well considering Hodgson's talent and value, he was getting screwed on the Canucks roster for ice time. Gillis even admitted that their biggest battle with the roster was giving him then ice time he deserved, despite the fact that he could have been playing 1st or 2nd line minutes and pushing his own teammates out of town instead. To be honest I think he had the talent enough alone to carry a team offensively and was big part of Buffalo's late push, as to why they traded him over other high salary players who have vanished in the post season the last two years, is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Petro won't be nominated, he was the fifth best D-man this year.

He had a fantastic season, but Weber, Lids, Chara and Karlsson were better.
    The only stats Lidstrom has on Petro is -/+ and PIM. Petro has more goals, assists, games played, power play goals, shots, and playing time. Tell me how he is better?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

How is anyone against the Sharks in the playoffs an underdog, I mean really? Blues are far from an underdog and SHOULD be able to beat L.A. quite easily. Team that struggles to score goals vs a team that is so stout defensively. I also disagree, I don't think the Preds were underdogs and I don't think the Flyers were underdogs. Expectations were just set way too high for the majority of teams this year (Canucks, Red Wings, Blackhawks, Penguins) because of past recent success.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only stats Lidstrom has on Petro is -/+ and PIM. Petro has more goals, assists, games played, power play goals, shots, and playing time. Tell me how he is better?
    If you're just solely gonna go off of points, then Petro won't be nominated either. When Lidstrom went out with injury Detroit turned into a terrible defensive team. Lidstrom has as good of a season as he's had all his career, in seasons where he won the award. If Lidstrom hadn't been injured, I think his nomination would be a no brainer, and even with the injury, I still think he deserves the spot.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.