Poll: Agree?

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I have three. And I dare you. lol
    I have two. And could get you from quite a distance without you knowing I was there. :P

BRB, Hunting down Bob Saget.

15+ Year Old Account
    The people who use guns responsibly are going to use them within the confines of the law, as always.

The people who who violate gun laws are going to continue violating gun laws regardless. They already illegally own guns. The government and local police forces already crack down on the people breaking those laws.

I own an antique hunting rifle that I inherited from my grandfather, and have never fired it. I live in Texas where sport shooting and hunting are quite popular, but my family's never been into it and I've only ever fired an air rifle at paper targets.

The problem is that even banning guns isn't going to really solve the problem. It'll cut down on a certain amount of accidental shootings, but the people you really don't want to have access to guns will still have access to them. It's not as if the cops don't already take action to get them off the streets.

manbeartruck's got the right idea, but like I said, it's only ever going to be effective if the police go door-to-door with warrants or if everyone volunteers to turn theirs in, and that's just not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Yes, you can stab people with a knife. You can do that with an axe or a sharp shovel as well. But they are tools made to cut fruit/vegetables/meet, chop wood and move stuff like sand.

A gun don't have any practical purpose, except shooting animals like deers. The thing is, that killing another human being is much easier with a gun than a knife/shovel/axe.

According to this source and some easy math the population of the US is 56 times larger than Denmark, but has amount of murder involving firearms that's 500 times large. This is not counting the amount of victims that luckily didn't die from their injuries.

Just for the record, firearms is strictly prohibited in Denmark. The only people that use them are law enforcement and the army. And a few people with a special license (like security guards and special collectors).
    Honestly I doubt that our rules against firearms is the reason. If you want a handgun in Denmark, you can get one as easy as snapping your fingers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I have two. And could get you from quite a distance without you knowing I was there. :P

BRB, Hunting down Bob Saget.
    Well boo to you snipers. I want a military sniper rifle, I won't be picky which kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Well boo to you snipers. I want a military sniper rifle, I won't be picky which kind.
    I dont have a military grade sniper, I do have close to it hunting Rifle. Of course I have not fired it in just over 3 years since I moved and it is sitting in pieces in my safe, but oh well.

No... Guns are only made for one single purpose, which is to harm/kill another human being (excluding stuff like hunting animals and sport-shooting ofc). Imo only law enforcement and the army should be able to carry guns.

By the way, this kind of topic always ends up with US citizens defending their constitutional rights and everyone else goes like "dude, we don't need guns to protect ourselves", just sayin'.
    Maybe some people are just interested in guns and like collecting them, there are a lot of people who enjoy collecting and shooting guns just for the fun of it and they do it safely, Sure, you have maniacs that go on killing sprees with guns, but most of these guns are illegally obtained, tightening up gun laws would not have much, if any, effect on how hard/easy it is to obtain an illegal firearm.
    Also, if people REALLY want to kill people and they can not get a gun they will just use another weapon, perhaps we should also make tight control laws on bats, knives, metal pipes, hammers, pipe benders, crowbars and pipe wrenches.
    <start epic wow theme>
    A world of limitless adventure. We cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss.
    <more epic wow theme>
    We held the line against the rising tide of death itself.
    <epic music peaks>
    We have endured the breaking of the world.Now we face the Destroyer and we will end him.
    <cue Bennny Hill music>Pandas! Pokemon!

I own several guns and have only ever used them to hunt with. Can't say I've ever shot a person with them.

On the subject of owning firearms, I believe this calls for a story.

When I was a child, I lived in a village in China's Heilongjiang province. One day, the men gathered and decided to go hunting for several days. So they grabbed their rifles, horses, and other necessary supplies and off they went. However, unfortunately, within a day or so, the village was beset by what I believe were Japanese deserters (this being sometimes late in the Second World War). Of course, they too had guns and easily managed to seize control. After all, what could housewives, old folks, and children really do to stop them?

Whether he did something to provoke them or they were just cruel that way I cannot say, but they took one of the old men left behind by the hunting party and strapped him to a tree. I can't remember what his name was but I certainly haven't forgotten what happened next. They disemboweled him, an injury, if it can be called that, that he did not survive. Thankfully for the rest of us, our missing men, guns and all, arrived shortly afterwards.

After beseeching God to help them and promising not to forget this day if He did, the men rushed in, guns blazing, while we fled into the woods. Those deserters who were not killed in the ensuing firefight fled and never returned. Only a single man from our village was actually injured amidst the shooting but he recovered and lived for many years more. Those Japanese men were not as lucky as some thirty or so fell. Even to this day, all those present, including myself, (as well as some younger folk) commemorate what happened there in early December.

While it certainly can be said that firearms helped those Japanese deserters to take over my village, firearms too helped liberate it. Then again, I suppose that could hardly apply to America. I can't remember the last time I heard about roving bandits in Alaska.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I dont have a military grade sniper, I do have close to it hunting Rifle. Of course I have not fired it in just over 3 years since I moved and it is sitting in pieces in my safe, but oh well.
    All mine are hand guns. You still got me beat in range lol

I don't know if I could bring myself to use a gun on another person. If anything I'd probably wave it around, hoping to scare off the person. Although, I suppose if I'm faced with someone else holding a gun on me and my choices are pull the trigger or be shot myself...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    So, you're saying a country with guns has more murders using guns than a country where guns are illegal? Surprise?

And irrelevant. What new means are these people using to kill besides guns? You can't just look at the murder rate based on guns, because if guns are harder to come by, naturally gun murders will be less. But you have to look at murders in general, since people can find other means.
    A quick wiki search shows that Denmark has a murder per capita rate of 0.85 per 100k citizens, while the US has a rate of 4.8. Obviously, Americans are more fond of killing each other, and quite often so with guns.
    Last edited by mmoc494ea71a08; 2012-04-27 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astounded View Post
    This is one of those "better to have and not need it, than need it and not have it situations."

The thing some of you are not understanding is that the criminals already have the guns. And they are CRIMINALS. Go ahead and make a law banning guns, THEY'RE CRIMINALS, they don't care about your laws.

I can not understand the logic of dis-arming the law abiding citizen just because you feel that "Guns kills people." Ban Scissors, nail files, and refrigerators while you're at it because I can go ahead and kill people with those.

I served my country for 6 years and have earned the right to carry a firearm at my side to protect you sheeple and myself whenever the need may arise. So next time you're being held up by some banger that wants your wallet think about the fact that you might get gunned down even after you give him you wallet because no one was able to defend you.
    It's better to have a tank in your backyard and not need it than need it and not have it.

Since when do you need to protect yourself with AK's and fully automatic weapons? A handgun is one thing but a shop around the corner full with automatic weapons that are normally used in war is pretty ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    I don't know if I could bring myself to use a gun on another person. If anything I'd probably wave it around, hoping to scare off the person. Although, I suppose if I'm faced with someone else holding a gun on me and my choices are pull the trigger or be shot myself...
    That is the thing. If you receive proper training, you should know NEVER to point your weapon at someone unless you are ready to pull the trigger. It escalates the situation. Just like a knife does if the other person only has a knife.

A Gun just generally takes away the size element. Guns are the 'great equalizer', because anyone who can hold their hand up can aim and fire one.

Now, as for the murder rate differences between Denmark and the US, well, I personally think it has a lot more to do with the differences in our Societies than the fact that guns are legal in the US.

Deleted
    So, you're saying a country with guns has more murders using guns than a country where guns are illegal? Surprise?

And irrelevant. What new means are these people using to kill besides guns? You can't just look at the murder rate based on guns, because if guns are harder to come by, naturally gun murders will be less. But you have to look at murders in general, since people can find other means.
    No, I'm not surprised at all. There was a total of nearly 15000 murder in the US in 2010. 9300 of those was involving firearms. 15000 is equal to 4.8 pr 100000 population. source. In Denmark that number was 0.85. Source.

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    IMO it's up there with God made man, Sam Colt made them equal
    The .45 caliber Peacemaker, beautifully crafted firearm, although a bit heavy for my taste in pistols.

To be honest, I've never hunted, don't plan on committing homicide, and yet I love shooting; whether it's stationary targets or clays. It doesn't even have to be a gun, crossbows and compound bows are incredibly fun as well, hell I've even used a 40mm grenade launcher (it was just smoke but still a blast.)

That being said I'm pro gun, I have quite a few myself, hell even my girlfriend goes out to the range with me. She's got a Ruger LCR .357 and I'm getting her a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 since she has so much fun firing mine. Ordering her the Pink Platinum for her birthday, I can't wait till she opens it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

Guns should be sold to anyone with a valid Driver's License. Guns are always available illegally so the legally obligated should have the right to defend themselves.

Guns are just a tool, and personally I would rather die to a gun then someone stomping my skull in or stabbing me in the neck with a needle and a canister of compressed CO2.

---------- Post added 2012-04-27 at 09:07 AM ----------

No, I'm not surprised at all. There was a total of nearly 15000 murder in the US in 2010. 9300 of those was involving firearms. 15000 is equal to 4.8 pr 100000 population. source. In Denmark that number was 0.85. Source.
    As if people could be evaluated on that kind of an elaborate bases in percentages. There are way too many variables for it to be calculated to a point it could be compared. Considering that the USA has a higher population in single cities than most of Europe has in entire countries. If anything it would have to be a population to population poll.

Grab 100 Americans and 100 others as the control to see what happens.

Yeah, Americans are more violent in general, though. I'm not denying that. I just doubt removing guns would change a whole lot. Comparing two different countries with different cultures and attitudes isn't going to make a point. I guess people of Denmark just don't like killing each other? Good thing, of course. If guns were legal in Denmark, would you think that murder rate would shoot up to be comparable to the US? Probably not. It's the nature of the citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Melpo View Post
    Cry me a friggin' river. A gun has saved my life. Just because you are afraid of them doesn't mean you should be so eager to take others' away. Better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it. You've obviously never been in that situation.

What situation would you have - a criminal fearing you may have a gun when he decides to burgle you or knowing that you, as an obedient, law-abiding citizen do not and he is the only one with the gun?

Criminals already have guns. They don't follow the rules. Don't be naive. Small-minded, namby-pamby, politically correct people really get on my nerves. These people watch their rights being stripped and clap their weak little hands like seals cheering for food or tricks.

And, no, I'm not American. I'm South African. To that "hunter" - you probably have never hunted a damn worthwhile opponent in your life - whoooo - a deer? That's a really dangerous little critter right there!
    You are the one living in fear, not us.

But knowing about the problems in South Africa i can understand why you are afraid. I live in the Balkans with the ethnic problems, drug mafias, traffic problems and we don't even have a lock on your home door. My parents house has never been robbed.

I live in a city of millions now and i have a thick door and alarm system, but i never felt fear. This is why i don't like guns they offer nothing more than bigger problems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    Guns should be sold to anyone with a valid Driver's License. Guns are always available illegally so the legally obligated should have the right to defend themselves.

Guns are just a tool, and personally I would rather die to a gun then someone stomping my skull in or stabbing me in the neck with a needle and a canister of compressed CO2.

---------- Post added 2012-04-27 at 09:07 AM ----------

As if people could be evaluated on that kind of an elaborate bases in percentages. There are way too many variables for it to be calculated to a point it could be compared. Considering that the USA has a higher population in single cities than most of Europe has in entire countries. If anything it would have to be a population to population poll.

Grab 100 Americans and 100 others as the control to see what happens.
    Yes it's a tool, but the tool is only made to kill/harm other humans beings. Excluding the collectors and the hunters of course. And yes, you can kill with a knife as well. But a knifes primary function is to cut vegetables/fruit/meat. And it's easier to kill with a gun than with a knife.

And yes, there are many unknown factors here, the size of the cities being one of them. But still, 5 times the murder rate and 50 times the amount of murder involving firearms is a lot.
    Last edited by mmocf48d514961; 2012-04-27 at 08:12 AM.

Yeah, Americans are more violent in general, though. I'm not denying that. I just doubt removing guns would change a whole lot. Comparing two different countries with different cultures and attitudes isn't going to make a point. I guess people of Denmark just don't like killing each other? Good thing, of course. If guns were legal in Denmark, would you think that murder rate would shoot up to be comparable to the US? Probably not. It's the nature of the citizens.
    Yup. It is also related to standard of living and general contentment and the amount of people jammed into small spaces. Outlawing guns would lower gun deaths by a slight amount, when accidental deaths are removed. I don't think it would do anything to lower the actual murder rate.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    It's better to have a tank in your backyard and not need it than need it and not have it.

Since when do you need to protect yourself with AK's and fully automatic weapons? A handgun is one thing but a shop around the corner full with automatic weapons that are normally used in war is pretty ridiculous.
    Do you know how difficult it is to legally obtain a full automatic weapon in the United States? They are illegal in most states and the ones that you can purchase cost upwards of $15k USD. Already the criminals have a step up on the civilian populace because they have access to these weapons, while I have to go through a 3-6 month background check simply to get a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16".

Do you really think I'm walking the streets with a fully automatic weapon? No, I carry a small 9mm handgun.