Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taylor20k View Post
    they never said they couldn't do it. they said they would need to implement new technology into the engine for it to work.
    First off I know absolutely nothing about their engine, how coding works ect... However, new technology, unless they mean new compared to what they have is total bs, look at games such as champions and city of heroes where you can actively changes the colors of any of your powers at will. That's been around for a couple years already.

Once again though, I know nothing about the coding or if the modified WC3 engine can even have that function added.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is from a post on this forum back when the "announcement" and then subsequent backpedaling occured.

Quote Originally Posted by thpthpthp View Post
    It is "possible" with the current technology but difficult and here's why. Spells work differently then creature and object models, it's easy to reskin a bear because you can always add a new bear skin to the list of texture files the single bear model can use. This is not the case with spells, most spells have their own model for each recoloring, this is because for most spell models there is no separate .blp (texture) files, instead the texture is included directly in the .m2 (model) file.

So, like people have already said, Blizz would have to make new models for each spell, not only is that a lot of file space it would take some time to do.

Secondly, a lot of spells are made up of multiple models, usually the casting, the in-flight, and the impact, sometimes more. The casting is almost always reused from something else and this would not be the biggest hurdle but it's something to keep in mind none the less.
    Overall Blizzard is better off changing how spells work in their engine before adding huge additions like this, in other words "the technology isn't there."
    There are many more knowledgeable posts in that thread as well. Do a search take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    Where did I say I want green fire? lol o_O'

I can actually link you a lot of my posts where I said I don't want/like that idea of green fire....

But truth is - for last month or so Blizz was teasing Warlock community with things they were asking for - be it green fire, or lock tanking as a prime examples. Then they took it away, and now they give us green fire in form of verdant spheres that are usable by 1 spec only and barely even visible (who doesn't play zoomed out?) and now they give us red banish... Seriously red banish? O_O Current Glyph of Killrog is more "fun" glyph than red banish... >.>' That's what I was talking about - the attitude that Blizz is presenting - not some effing green fire I don't really care about.
    Yeah, sorry I am not going to research your past posts...because honestly, it doesnt really matter all that much to me. But, it should be assumed that when you are in a thread name "NO green fire but...red effing banish?" and making general whiny comments about arbitrary cosmetic stuff that Blizz "teased" locks (lock tanking is not cosmetic, but yeah...did you really expect that to work?) with and how it is ruining your life, you should expect more general flaming about how your life was ruined by a game...sorry trollmode disabled now
    You can catch me on Twitter @leoniditron
    I am streaming almost every night (WoW, BF3, WoT, RO2) Check it out: http://www.twitch.tv/leoniditron

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wartywarlock View Post
    Am I missing something here? I thought they don't have the technology to glyph different effects, that's why we don't have green fire as a choice? Dub tee heff?
    You don't need green fire, no one plays warlocks, stop whining

Quote Originally Posted by neubs986 View Post
    Yes, mages only put down tables with other people, yet how many times do people demand a table yet refuse to click? Spoiler alert: a lot.

It's the same for lock stones and portals.
    Why should I care?If they don't click they don't get drinks .... their problem.I have mine^^ That's not even a serious reason for a glyph to exist, you know it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cthuhlu View Post
    Yeah, sorry I am not going to research your past posts...because honestly, it doesnt really matter all that much to me. But, it should be assumed that when you are in a thread name "NO green fire but...red effing banish?" and making general whiny comments about arbitrary cosmetic stuff that Blizz "teased" locks (lock tanking is not cosmetic, but yeah...did you really expect that to work?) with and how it is ruining your life, you should expect more general flaming about how your life was ruined by a game...sorry trollmode disabled now
    Show me where it "ruined my life"? Seriously? From my very first post in this thread I was writing about how Blizz is teasing us with things lock community was asking about and then they reject it and give us lame things instead.
    No it didn't ruin my life, but I find their attitude disturbing..

I wouldn't say a thing if we actually got some good glyphs, even soulwell not needing other people to click on it (like mage table). But for some time Blizz only either teases us os gives us crap and expect us to be happy about it.

Ye - Locks do get a lot of changes, maybe the most from all classes. But lately we feel not only left out, but regularly trolled by Blizz..

"you want lock tanking? Here's tankking glyph". After people got hyped - "Trololo you can't tank for real, forget it. Even though you got almost everything and we could do it, but we won't."
    "You want green fire? Ok we're working on it via quest".. After people got hyped - "Trololol no can do princess, but have this 3 floating green orbs that we stole from Kaelthas, that you can use on 1 spec".. "Oh and we can't change your fire to green but have this red banish, since it's so usefull spell that you so want to have changed"..

Really what was Blizz expecting? They got us hyped about things, and now they not only reject to give them (for more or less valid reasons), but give us crap to "make us happy that we at lest got something"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Show me where it "ruined my life"? Seriously? From my very first post in this thread I was writing about how Blizz is teasing us with things lock community was asking about and then they reject it and give us lame things instead.
    No it didn't ruin my life, but I find their attitude disturbing..

I wouldn't say a thing if we actually got some good glyphs, even soulwell not needing other people to click on it (like mage table). But for some time Blizz only either teases us os gives us crap and expect us to be happy about it.

Ye - Locks do get a lot of changes, maybe the most from all classes. But lately we feel not only left out, but regularly trolled by Blizz..

"you want lock tanking? Here's tankking glyph". After people got hyped - "Trololo you can't tank for real, forget it. Even though you got almost everything and we could do it, but we won't."
    "You want green fire? Ok we're working on it via quest".. After people got hyped - "Trololol no can do princess, but have this 3 floating green orbs that we stole from Kaelthas, that you can use on 1 spec".. "Oh and we can't change your fire to green but have this red banish, since it's so usefull spell that you so want to have changed"..

Really what was Blizz expecting? They got us hyped about things, and now they not only reject to give them (for more or less valid reasons), but give us crap to "make us happy that we at lest got something"...
    Oblivious and abit pathetic.Oh well .... I'll pretend to be nice and say I don't really mean it.^^ Ungrateful will suffice I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I'm a fire Mage, I want a fire form for that spec. But no, Warlocks get something close to it for Destruction spec. Stop your bitching Warlocks. Your class has gotten more upgrades then any other class in this xpac so far. New Demons, almost perma-demon form, body bursting into flames, several updated spell effects, visual soul shard counter effect, and a bad-ass looking tier set. But because you don't get green fire, you claim Blizzard is trolling and ignoring Warlocks...again? Please get your head out of your ass, and stop being a bunch babies.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

10+ Year Old Account
    If a illegal mod can do it, blizzard can do it, the whole it would be hard to do is bullshit. we all know it. I've seen vids of people with funky ass demons, and whatnot. Though purple fire is cooler than green imo.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slothanator View Post
    Its not that hard just do the swap yourself with a mini patch thing. Players do it easily blizzard could do it easily

You are describing the modification of core game files.

That is -HIGHLY- against the ToS, and can get you permabanned if (when) Warden picks it up.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    Well, I'm a fire Mage, I want a fire form for that spec. But no, Warlocks get something close to it for Destruction spec. Stop your bitching Warlocks. Your class has gotten more upgrades then any other class in this xpac so far. New Demons, almost perma-demon form, body bursting into flames, several updated spell effects, visual soul shard counter effect, and a bad-ass looking tier set. But because you don't get green fire, you claim Blizzard is trolling and ignoring Warlocks...again? Please get your head out of your ass, and stop being a bunch babies.
    Coming from the class that's never had a bad time in the history of WoW save for Sunwell, i'm not inclined to take that seriously. The concept is simple; Warlocks are mages gone sour. They're corrupt, conniving, cunning and cruel, sacrifice much of their life and even soul (or the souls of others', depending on how self-preserving they are) and commune/enslave/feed off demons in order to pursue darker and more dangerous magic than their Mage counterparts ever would; it really does look all for naught when after all that, they're still using the same manner of fire as those they turned their backs on, save for a couple of lacklustre spells that are rarely seen (Fel Flame practically never)

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Coming from the class that's never had a bad time in the history of WoW save for Sunwell, i'm not inclined to take that seriously. The concept is simple; Warlocks are mages gone sour. They're corrupt, conniving, cunning and cruel, sacrifice much of their life and even soul (or the souls of others', depending on how self-preserving they are) and commune/enslave/feed off demons in order to pursue darker and more dangerous magic than their Mage counterparts ever would; it really does look all for naught when after all that, they're still using the same manner of fire as those they turned their backs on, save for a couple of lacklustre spells that are rarely seen (Fel Flame practically never)
    Just because warlocks are happily willing to trade their souls for power doesn't mean the power they get is stronger than those wielded by mages. Warlock fire is different from mage fire, because its a warlock spell, just like the fire spells of an ele shammy are also different as far as lore is concerned. If you are looking for something with more rational flavour how about they stop forcing golden spell art for holy spells from Night Elves, Trolls, Undead and every other priest that isn't wielding the Human-faith holy Light... really though, homogenisation of spells and abilities is irrelevant to lore.

Naah we won't.. Actually, I think Ghostcrawler found out that it was Warlock that killed his parents, not Paladin, and decided to ruin our lives/hopes instead... So prepare for nerffest and lame glyph and class changes, GC is about to unleash his nerfing fury... :/
    Bolded quote, hope that helps
    Honestly, getting hyped over what Blizzard says early on in a beta is a bit, for lack of a better word, stupid. As an Enhance Shaman I have been promised instacast (with 5 stack mael) LvB for the past 2 expansions. It makes it into the first closed beta and then Blizzard scraps it. I was pissed off about it for a while the first time, but then realized...HEY, as one of ten million players, my opinion means little to nothing to the devs. Even if you get 50 people behind you saying "we want green fire!" they wont care, in the end Blizzard and it's partners own the rights to the game not you. So, unless you want to become a game dev and make your own game where you have to listen to people complain about things that arent worth your time as a dev, I would suggest letting the professionals make the decisions about where the game is going and YOU can make the decision as to whether or not you want to continue playing a Warlock and/or continue playing the game. My advice is; until you see the official expansion notes, dont expect Blizzard to implement any of these changes. For all you know, Locks could have their class changed around so they throw rainbows and ponies instead of fire.
    TL: DR? Wait for the finalized release notes before you get too attached to an idea
    You can catch me on Twitter @leoniditron
    I am streaming almost every night (WoW, BF3, WoT, RO2) Check it out: http://www.twitch.tv/leoniditron

Lol out of the 200 times I cast a spell I probably cast a banish, and that's in pvp scenarios; probably 1 in 2000 in pve scenarios.

worthless glyph is worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Lol out of the 200 times I cast a spell I probably cast a banish, and that's in pvp scenarios; probably 1 in 2000 in pve scenarios.

worthless glyph is worthless.
    We do not know how many elementals/demons we're going to encounter in Mists.

And Banish actually was a fairly useful CC at the beginning of Cataclysm, there were quite a few elementals in the dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post
    im guessing youve never done high rated pvp
    Rarely != never.

yeh the spell you use against another lock's pet is now red and its translucid you cant barely see the diference hurray.

This glyph is only because they had to find a way for Glyph of Soullink to be anything else since they arent removing Glyphs they are just changing names and functions, they could had found something better to change besides a very situational spell(its that better now Gorehowl?), they could had found something else but all in all our glyphs are solid

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    Mage tears are always the best..... mmmmm

10+ Year Old Account
    There are mobs in Black Temple which use a GREEN Rain of Fire and a GREEN Hellfire. How would would it be to take the spell abilities of those and give them to warlocks :3

Quote Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
    Warlock fire isn't fire.

It's demonic fire. Hence, green.
    green is fel fire not demonic fire, kil'jaeden uses red fire and he's a demon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthuhlu View Post
    Bolded quote, hope that helps
    So happy you can actually read sarcasm/jokes.. You mean this all thing about GCs parents being killed by pallies or warlocks - it didn't give you a hint it's not 100% serious? Sarcasm?

Honestly, getting hyped over what Blizzard says early on in a beta is a bit, for lack of a better word, stupid. As an Enhance Shaman I have been promised instacast (with 5 stack mael) LvB for the past 2 expansions. It makes it into the first closed beta and then Blizzard scraps it. I was pissed off about it for a while the first time, but then realized...HEY, as one of ten million players, my opinion means little to nothing to the devs. Even if you get 50 people behind you saying "we want green fire!" they wont care, in the end Blizzard and it's partners own the rights to the game not you.
    Actually we should react to what they do and promise. That's what's called feedback. And to all those changes - feedback was (at least) kind of positive. What's more it was something we've been asking. They showed us they can do it - and then they scrapped it, why shouldn't we feel bad? It's like showing kid candies and then refusing it them..
    As a Shaman - how would you feel if Blizz added Shaman tanking (something that AFAIK Shaman community is asking for) and then scrapped it, after putting a lot of thoughts and work into it? A lot of Shammies would feel bad.

So, unless you want to become a game dev and make your own game where you have to listen to people complain about things that arent worth your time as a dev, I would suggest letting the professionals make the decisions about where the game is going and YOU can make the decision as to whether or not you want to continue playing a Warlock and/or continue playing the game.
    Funny thing is that I am actually a software developer. Not professional games dev ATM - more business stuff - but I have masters degree in the Computer Science, and my thesis was about writing a game engine. I do know quite a bit about game development, I've done a bit of it (and I'm doing as my hobby when I have some free time too).. I do know what listening to users concerns is, and how tedious it gets sometimes. Everyday I have to respond to shit ton of stupid concerns about software we do. Today for 2h I was explaining why it's impossible to change invoice print forms, because it's actually against the law - but as a developer I had to. Clients do have their rights and requests, our job is to take them into consideration, even if they are stupid like dead pigs. I had so many stupid requests that I can't even list them all, but that's what this work is (also) about.

My advice is; until you see the official expansion notes, dont expect Blizzard to implement any of these changes.
    Why not? Beta is there for a reason - they show stuff, we say them what we thing about it. They tell us what they want to do? We tell them whether we like it or not. If they show us working stuff (tanking) and ways to add it to the game in a making sense way (druid 4th spec) why shouldn't I expect, or at least hope, that they implement it? Why shouldn't I say loudly that I liked the idea and I'd love to see it?
    And why shouldn't I feel trolled when they promise us something, then say they can't do it, and then mock us about it (see the book below).. They said they can't change fire color, but now they give us (pointless) red banish (even though I do understand the difference between all fire spells change, and one spell only color change). I feel the way I described - that GC stopped hating on pallies, and truned onto us, trying to troll us. I don't like the attitude they show towards locks for about last month.

For all you know, Locks could have their class changed around so they throw rainbows and ponies instead of fire.
    They did it:
    The Codex of Xerrath
    The Codex of Xerrath
    Unlimited range
    Permanently increases your haste by 1%, reduces your critical strike chance by 1% and transforms the color of your Warlock fire spells into a rainbow.

Also, summons Unicorns.
    Blizz is trolling us. They promised green fire. Then said they can't do it.. Then they added this book, which at first was changing our spells mauve. Now it apparently shoots rainbows and summons Unicorns.
    They showed and promised us big changes in our class, on of them being a possible gamebraking change (tanking again) - then they scrapped it, and to dry our tears give us lame glyphs that do so little that it's pathetic. That is the attitude I don't really like.
    I know it's beta - but they should really think hard before announcing some things. GC took long enough to respond about lock tanking - so many people got hyped about it - he should have either respond right after first tank related posts occur, or even before it hit beta. Not after countless people theorycrafting how it could become viable, giving serious feedback about it, after people actually checking it on beta and again - giving serious feedback what could be changed to make it more inline with other tanks..

Ech, I so expect them now to give us a class quest that takes forever to finish and in the end gives us a shirt that says "I wanted green fire and lock tanking and all I got is that crappy linen shirt" that has on use effect "set yourself on fire.. green fire"... >.>'
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!