Thread: Head phones

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Head phones

This is going to be a small rant so I apologize, I think I broke my like 40th pair of headphones or something silly? Like literally I have a graveyard of headphones somewhere in like a drawer. I should label / Mark it The headphone graveyard -.- or I should trash it like a normal person would hmm..

But yes anyone else have problems or is it just me having bad luck with these things =(

/cries

Deleted
    Indeed. They tend to break pretty easily. And always in one ear but not the other. The pair I have at the moment lasted me a good half a year however.

10+ Year Old Account
    i was doing the same thing. then i bought a pair of razers......i treat them like gold because they were a pretty penny.

oh let the old ones go..

Are you buying shit brands or do you go for the quality ones?
    My headphones last a few years at least on average, and they get a shit load of use and quite the rough treatment at times as well. My last Sennheisers lasted me 4 years(with perfect quality) I think before I manage to trip on them and tore them apart.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Are you buying shit brands or do you go for the quality ones?
    My headphones last a few years at least on average, and they get a shit load of use and quite the rough treatment at times as well. My last Sennheisers lasted me 4 years(with perfect quality) I think before I manage to trip on them and tore them apart.
    Well the last pair was actually some ipod headphones that a close friend gave to me haha

Quote Originally Posted by -Alcatraz- View Post
    Well the last pair was actually some ipod headphones that a close friend gave to me haha
    Stock Ipod phones? Buy new ten pairs for 5 bucks and forget about it.

Buds and IEMs tend to break easily, even expensive ones. That's one of the reasons enthusiasts sometimes replace the cables on them. If you want a headphone for home use - most of the decent brands (sennheiser, akg, denon, beyerdynamics, Audio-technica to name a few) produce mostly reliable and very sturdy heaphones that sound awesome as well. If you want IEMs that don't break down, well that's another story.

Speaking of headphones, can anyone recommend me a pair of earbuds suitable for plugging into my phone for listening to music? I had a pair of $100 Bose earbuds, but the things that kept them in my ears kept falling off. Eventually they got lost and I can't wear them comfortably anymore. Can someone recommend me a high quality pair of earbuds for <= $100 that don't have small, easily lost parts yet still sound great?

My current pair of headphones was bought in 2009, I think. And I use them quite often.

15+ Year Old Account
    Got my Beat by Dre like 2 year now and their still working good before that i had Sennheisers for 3 years and they are still working so either u buy shit brands or u buy good brands but handle them like shit.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Speaking of headphones, can anyone recommend me a pair of earbuds suitable for plugging into my phone for listening to music? I had a pair of $100 Bose earbuds, but the things that kept them in my ears kept falling off. Eventually they got lost and I can't wear them comfortably anymore. Can someone recommend me a high quality pair of earbuds for <= $100 that don't have small, easily lost parts yet still sound great?
    BOSE - buy other sound equipment.

The reasons for In ear monitors falling out can be different:
    .you use tips that don't fit you, in which case you could always buy a set of different ones and try others. I could suggest using foam ones.
    .you don't insert headphones in a right way. Easy to google as well.

In regard to your request to recommend you headphones - you can check this thread out:
    DISCLAIMER: I am not saying people on this site and forum know the best, it's better to take every bit of info with a grain of salt. This particular thread doesn't have close to all IEMs currently on the market but it serves as a decent guide.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mult...added-04-19-12

Deleted
    Don't think I've had a pair of earbuds last more than about 8-9 months :< just stick em in one day and find that one of them has gone really quiet or stopped working at all.

I have tried all sorts of sennheiser ones ranging from £10 to £70 (reduced to 15, play.com ftw) but no apparent difference in quality between them it seems. So my recommendation for earbuds would be to go cheap and cheerful.

Found a pair of sony erricson ones at work today so imma see how long they last before giving up

10+ Year Old Account
    I have fairly bad luck with headphones too, except usually mine don't break from random chance they break because I either stand on them, roll my chair over them or pull the cord really hard/trip on the cord. etc

Only gone through maybe 10 pairs though, no where near 40!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaino View Post
    Don't think I've had a pair of earbuds last more than about 8-9 months :< just stick em in one day and find that one of them has gone really quiet or stopped working at all.

I have tried all sorts of sennheiser ones ranging from £10 to £70 (reduced to 15, play.com ftw) but no apparent difference in quality between them it seems. So my recommendation for earbuds would be to go cheap and cheerful.

Found a pair of sony erricson ones at work today so imma see how long they last before giving up
    Not all Sennheiser headphones are good for their price. There are some where you pay extra because they are "made" for sports or streetwear and so on. For me no headphone (except for one pair of over ear Sennheiser for 500$ that I use for everything) lasted for more than 2 years. The cheap ones lasted for like 2-3 months and cheap Sennheiser for like 6-8 months and expensive Sennheiser (about 200$) lasted for almost 2 years.

If you want headphones that last forever buy some studio headphones with 6.3mm clinch. They have most of the times a good quality and a very thick and sturdy cable and for example Sennheiser studio headphones have Kevlar reinforced cables that you just can't destroy by normal means like rolling over it with your chair or pulling the cord.

The downside is that they are big, heavy (most of the times ugly) and very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    (except for one pair of over ear Sennheiser for 500$ that I use for everything)
    So which are those exactly? And what other equipment are you using as a source and amplification for those? Just asking.

About 4-5 years ago, I went through a headset roughly every 3-4 months for about a year. The first two lost sound in the right ear and I thought it was because I was just too rough with it (accidentally tugging on the wires etc) So the third headset I got, I was extremely careful with it, I handled it like it was a baby bird. Still, after 3 months, lost sound in the right ear once again....Up until this point, all of the headsets that I had were logitech, so I decided it was time to try a different brand. I got one of those creative fatality headsets about 4 years ago and I'm still using it. Anyways, never again will I buy a logitech headset!

I had this pair of headphones that kept zapping my ears .....I tried to ignore it since i paid quite abit for the stupid things. I made sure to give them a proper funeral (burning them outside) V_V.