Deleted
    I loved the difficulty of gw2, and i died many many times. It made me think how to attack some mobs and made more aware of the surroundings. Honestly i felt that i was living in that world, that my contribution meant something. When I first saw Shadow of Behemoth my jaw dropped, and yes i died horribly the first time by charging a portal without thinking (served me right).

I have one thing to say to Arenanet, RELEASE THE DAMN GAME ALREADY, because after last weekend all other games seem so dull to me .

There were times during events when there were quite a few people participating in which i died and i couldnt figure out why. One was against the bandit boss in that cave in queensdale. There was 10 of us and i was with my necro in the rear and then bam, i was on the ground dead. Died 4 times that way before i just transported out because i was being completely useless.

During events that tend to spawn alot of mobs (like defending the scrapyard in the charr area) i tended to get shot at by the ranged mobs and there seemed to be nothing i could do about. So many mobs fighting you couldnt pick out the ones attacking you and obviously randomly dodging doesnt help. You had almost no choice but to die in that situation. That really was my only complaint dealing with combat or events. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The most powerful skill in the game is walking in a circle. It utterly devastates mobs. There was an elite centaur event in Kessex where the town was being attacked or some other. Duo'd it with my sister [level 9] @ level 15. The event was a group quest and mobs were in the 20. In the same zone, in the lake was a group DE for the blood queen mob- just circle strafe.
    Circle strafing is very important, but is definitely not as effective for melee specs. Mobs will still be able to hit you while strafing, but you will be able to avoid some mobs special abilities, like the drakes' breath. I found that if you want to solo anything veteran or higher, you need to have some control abilities like stuns, parries, and knockbacks. Otherwise, veteran mobs will down you within seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    It was only ment as a joke, I know they won't change. Granted, humor isn't my strongest ability.
    Oh.

If I laugh right now, will it make you feel better?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Oh.

If I laugh right now, will it make you feel better?
    Not really, but I appreciate the thought.

Absolutely love this game... It's the best game i've ever played (honestly - don't mean to sound like a fanboy)

I noticed however the level flow was a bit off, I found myself a few levels under what the recommended level was in most areas. However I like that it made leveling difficult. It is faceroll grindy in WoW (played wow for 6 years). Only thing I'd change is to add modifier buttons, maybe edit content scaling, and I would throw in a couple more races like say a Sylvari and Asura race :P

Quote Originally Posted by Guilegamesh View Post
    Circle strafing is very important, but is definitely not as effective for melee specs. Mobs will still be able to hit you while strafing, but you will be able to avoid some mobs special abilities, like the drakes' breath. I found that if you want to solo anything veteran or higher, you need to have some control abilities like stuns, parries, and knockbacks. Otherwise, veteran mobs will down you within seconds.
    It was effective for melee. I was a 2x swords warrior with Longbow sub. The only caveat of playing melee is using the charges to change the mob angle of attack. Then you just circle strafe anew.

Solo'd the Veteran Pinesouls 3 levels above me and solo cleared all the champion spiders + fast spawn minions in Wayfarer to the skill challenge. There was no one higher level than me in the area. I was the first in zone to clear that skill challenge. Was also one of like 3 people in Snowden by Saturday.

This whole overly difficult thing is sorta trumped up.

15+ Year Old Account
    <sigh> Was going to post about how y'all are basically acting like childs throwing stones but I won't. Chances are none of you will really care or stop acting that way.

Anyway, what I little I could play of the beta I had fun. My computer's a decade old and it was like trying to play WoW back on my dell 2000. 1fps, and slideshow like...well when there was boatloads of people. Combat is a bit frustrating but that's because of my computer's old age + lag so I am most certainly eagerly awaiting a new computer. The personal story so far was FUN. Oh my god. I love being Charr. :3 I decided to make a Charr Necro in the Blood Legion. Oh man, Steelbane. First time I talked to him, I was like "Oh you go girl!" when my charr was like "FU it was your fault the warband got killed, asshole." (Well not worded exactly like that :P) And then when you fight him to take Legonnaire. Oh man, they gave me a choice about his fate and I waste no time in choosing to kill him.

I am so excited for guild wars2. I want to play all the races and all possible story quests!!!!!!!! Story! I need more story!

It was effective for melee. I was a 2x swords warrior with Longbow sub. The only caveat of playing melee is using the charges to change the mob angle of attack. Then you just circle strafe anew.

Solo'd the Veteran Pinesouls 3 levels above me and solo cleared all the champion spiders + fast spawn minions in Wayfarer to the skill challenge. There was no one higher level than me in the area. I was the first in zone to clear that skill challenge. Was also one of like 3 people in Snowden by Saturday.

WTB Fencer's leet skillz

Quote Originally Posted by Harradrane View Post
    WTB Fencer's leet skillz
    My main issue with melee was latency. :\

Even if I was a good 20 feet to the right of the mob, I'd still be hit by some random autoattack.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    <sigh> Was going to post about how y'all are basically acting like childs throwing stones but I won't. Chances are none of you will really care or stop acting that way.

Anyway, what I little I could play of the beta I had fun. My computer's a decade old and it was like trying to play WoW back on my dell 2000. 1fps, and slideshow like...well when there was boatloads of people. Combat is a bit frustrating but that's because of my computer's old age + lag so I am most certainly eagerly awaiting a new computer. The personal story so far was FUN. Oh my god. I love being Charr. :3 I decided to make a Charr Necro in the Blood Legion. Oh man, Steelbane. First time I talked to him, I was like "Oh you go girl!" when my charr was like "FU it was your fault the warband got killed, asshole." (Well not worded exactly like that :P) And then when you fight him to take Legonnaire. Oh man, they gave me a choice about his fate and I waste no time in choosing to kill him.

I am so excited for guild wars2. I want to play all the races and all possible story quests!!!!!!!! Story! I need more story!
    Yea i really enjoyed the Charr story aswell. I was an engineer in the Iron Legion. Ghostbore Musket ftw =)

You can't circle strafe ranged mobs, or mobs with immobilizing abilities or other kinds of debuffs. Lower level mobs are not meant to be hard, just an introduction. The pines are slow and easily overtaken. Suggest a cutoff AI for mobs to Anet, see what they say maybe. I did my fair share of strafing as well, and was hit plenty of times in the process - there's no way to avoid it all, but whomever said it was overly difficult is wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    My main issue with melee was latency. :\

Even if I was a good 20 feet to the right of the mob, I'd still be hit by some random autoattack.
    If your internet isn't shit, I'd have to say it was probably the servers. They weren't 100% perfect with lag.

Worst part about the beta...it's over and now I'm soo bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    If your internet isn't shit, I'd have to say it was probably the servers. They weren't 100% perfect with lag.
    There was two times in the 45 hours I played where I was lagging pretty bad. Abilities weren't going off, and I was being hit by mobs that were no where near me on my screen. It never lasted for more than 20 seconds though, and that only happened twice. One of the times was in the middle of the end beta event.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-04-30 at 08:58 PM.

I know a lot of people were qq'ing about the lag, Anet mentioned the game was CPU heavy in beta and that it was not optimized yet. We should be seeing higher fps come release when they have everything up to speed!

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    You can't circle strafe ranged mobs, or mobs with immobilizing abilities or other kinds of debuffs. Lower level mobs are not meant to be hard, just an introduction. The pines are slow and easily overtaken. Suggest a cutoff AI for mobs to Anet, see what they say maybe. I did my fair share of strafing as well, and was hit plenty of times in the process - there's no way to avoid it all, but whomever said it was overly difficult is wrong.
    Don't need to strafe the ranged mobs. Just LOS range as possible and burst down. I had 2 condition losers as a Warrior and charges. The areas with many tough ranged mobs were handled easily by body blocking or LOSing.

I used 2x sword for the most part, but was keen to swap to 2h hammer or 2x axes if I felt the mob density was such that I could build rage fast enough.

Such as in Sons cave at the bottom of Snowden [L25 mobs], they could be handled by moving between the rock outcrops and simply turning the corner. Or the bandit cave in Queensdale where you could jump from the steps, charge/burst the range, hamsting the bandit melee, back up steps and repeat. Ranged mobs break their channel to move or become obstructed. As a Warrior the sustain was often greater than their output. Full rage would nearly one shot mobs.

This basic technique worked for Guardian as well. Though they needed more room to work. To do this I simply cleared an area and led mobs to it 2-3 at a time. Such as the Dredge in Wayfarer, bandits in the tree houses in Kessex and ghost archers in Dissea. Kiting the mobs back & forth and I cut them off from each other.

This was similar to my aggressive Engineer playstyle where by I simply split mobs apart.

The tipoff was you fight a lot of the same type of mobs up to the 30s which mostly have the same basic attacks/abilities. Whenever I was fighting a drake I knew they had a conical attack with a flare of white around their neck and a KD. Then I made the decision which attacks I was going to soak and which 2 to dodge based on condition losers. Other mobs had repeating compositions- such as bandits. Still others were limited in their mobility [Sons of Svnairasdgisahja].

Running through mobs also disrupts their attacks like crazy. Such as the water lizard guys.

I found melee pretty alright for the most part. Not too hard, not too taxing. Was more or less how I play a melee in Rift, TOR or EQ2.

Circle strafing, how does that even work? W+A or W+D?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Circle strafing, how does that even work? W+A or W+D?
    It's a combination of the forward key, the strafe keys, and the mouse.

You run around the target in a circle without ever having your back or side to them.

It's a combination of the forward key, the strafe keys, and the mouse.
    Well, I like jumping around.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Well, I like jumping around.
    I think jumping in GW2 actually slows you down. So you can't do that "jump-turn" thing like you do in WoW. But I never tested it, I found kiting to be really difficult though. It's a lot more than just running and shooting, since you actually move slower by strafing than if you just run forward.

It was fun though, and wasn't frustrating for me.