Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I played Necro for a little bit, and it's definetly in my top 3. Among Guardian and Thief. Was having an incredible amount of fun with the staff skills, combined with pets rampaging all over the place. Granted, i'll need to look into the traits a bit, to see what works, but overall I'd say the professions is in a pretty solid position.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to access the runes of Fuh-Kang Nuh'bs to augment my necro's powers.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    As many people seem to be wondering about the MM builds and other builds in PvP, i'll tell you my experiences:

MM is beyond terrible, i'm afraid the minion AI is a bit off currently (fixable for sure), so you get moments while you are attacking or taking damage, and the minions just run around or stand still doing nothing. When they finally do start attacking, they do decent damage..... if they don't get 1 shot by AOE. I even took all the minion traits to increase HP and Damage etc etc.
    Personally, i really couldn't make it work. The damage is there, but it's so easy for them to die/just stand there that it becomes really hard to do any sort or burst or sustained damage.

DS build was... insane. Running Dagger/Warhorn with traits to increase Life force gained and damage in DS etc. Was really fun (melee isn't that hard (40fps)) plus the damage is really good. Only problem is (as many have mentioned) is the Lifesteal abilities is a bit lack luster, infact i think number 2 on the dagger (channeled lifesteal?) only gives back like 2k hp, but thats hardly anything when you think about the amount of damage you take from a single hit from say a guardian? Overall, DS is really fun so i liked this build alot. Plus some of the signets are pretty fun too. Opens alot up not having to use minions.

Last thing i tried was the Conditions/boons build with a Staff. Axe/Warhorn as the second set. Really the burst is pretty funny, i actually really enjoyed it, as you can spam all the 5 abilities from the staff on someone (Slow, conditions, fear, huge damage) then swap to the axe and do even more damage. Plus its easy to kite people due to the skills from the staff.
    Traits again are pretty obvious (reduce staff cd on skills, bonus condition range etc) but there are still many many choices.

In short: Many fun ways to PvP, just hope for a minion AI and HP buff if that's the style you want to play!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    In general, necromancer leveling after first few levels is staff+ either axe or scepter main hand. Dagger is simply not usable as you should never be hit, instead stacking the bleeds (scepter) or direct damage (axe) while your minions tank and inflict damage.

There are other play styles, but very are massively gimp in comparison to ranged MM who can solo group events several levels higher then his/her own.
    Staff is only "required" for 3+ mobs at the same time or area with 4-5+ lvl higher than you or soloing elite, otherwise i prefer the dagger even without the traits you can pop DS much more often !

Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    Dagger's damage is quite high though, as it generates LF at a very decent rate. I think Anet did that to compensate for the fact that you'll be forced to dedicate some gear for toughness/vitality in order to improve your survivability. Which sucks in the early levels, since you don't have access to a lot of those stats.
    Yep, but when you've finished your DS if you don't have your heal skill up you can just dodge 2-3 attacks then you take high damage ! Fortunately there is also the utility shield that grant you LF and I think it's gonna be much easier with the elite skill (gonna take the Lich Form ) !

Deleted
    Did anyone lvl high enough in beta to test the trait "Focused Rituals" that makes Wells ground targeted? I'd really like to know the range of Wells with this trait if it is 1200 it would really do well for defending keeps with a Staff + Wells for massive ae

Sadly i didnt manage to push my Necro to lvl 20 :/

Quote Originally Posted by ShamanTankFTW View Post
    I plan on a Human Necro for myself. Looking forward to the Axe/Warhorn combo as well as utilizing the staff to help with support.
    This is exactly what I did all beta! The staff is great for openers than switching to the axe and horn is fantastic dps. Combined with 4-5 minions our unstoppable!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungNasteyman View Post
    Finally, a warlock class i like. I always wanted to play the lock, but i just didn't feel they were "deathy" enough.
    Well, they are "deathy" because they are necromancers not warlocks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Oh I know that, but he would be like full health not being followed by anyone pop it, run into someone else and turn it off, when I get to my computer I can find a few of the times he does it.
    You can get a special trait rune thing (the ones you get when you put 10,20 and 30 points into a trait line) that increases your speed in death shroud, he was probably doing it because of that

Deleted
    Why is this one pretty far buried? Not many fans of our dark arts hero, summoning hordes of undead and draining the life force of our enemies?
    Tssk, well. At any rate, here's a spotlight video!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    http://www.gw2builds.org/view/305055...-2.8.6.2.6.1.9
    I want to try that build out next BWE.
    I didn't like dagger for PvP at all because that is indeed a melee weapon and you will have to be in melee range, not like the axe where you can still cast from the distance. But still curious to hear what your thoughts are after you played it. So I'm hoping for some feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Silza View Post
    I didn't like dagger for PvP at all because that is indeed a melee weapon and you will have to be in melee range, not like the axe where you can still cast from the distance. But still curious to hear what your thoughts are after you played it. So I'm hoping for some feedback.
    The advantage of melee weapons is that they do more damage, and in this case it is more damage along with the lifesteal that makes it appealing.
    I was tempted to go full melee, but I still wanted to have the advantage of range over actual melee.
    We'll have to see how much it does, to see if it's actually worth it.

The 1 button dagger attack was my favorite weapon attack they had too. I loved the melee animations, and you're still given a little bit of leeway with the range since only the first attack requires melee range, all the rest of the attacks are 300+. 300 range isn't very far, but it's enough to stay just out of range from other melee. You can move in and out of melee range while you attack, I kinda like that strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    The 1 button dagger attack was my favorite weapon attack they had too. I loved the melee animations, and you're still given a little bit of leeway with the range since only the first attack requires melee range, all the rest of the attacks are 300+. 300 range isn't very far, but it's enough to stay just out of range from other melee.
    Indeed, I feel like I'll be spending as much time 'just out of melee range' as I can.

Did anyone do much underwater combat? Sinking tomb is such a badass ability lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lmenvs View Post
    I'm hung up between Mesmer and Necro myself. I might just make both xD Sylvari Necromancer for sure, though. I'm just wondering if I want an army of the undead and vile or an army of clones
    I have the exact same issue. I have to choose between Mesmer and Necro, but so far I'm leaning towards Necro. Really liked the play style.

15+ Year Old Account
    So for necromancers, axes and scepters and staves are all ranged attacks, and dagger is melee attacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Marn View Post
    So for necromancers, axes and scepters and staves are all ranged attacks, and dagger is melee attacks?
    Dagger is close ranged, 2 and 3 have slightly longer range than melee weapons.
    But yes.

Did anyone else 'abuse' the staff in the Battle of Kyhlo clock tower? As soon as I arrived on the point, I placed all of my marks at the top of their ramp. So they had two choices: either run through all of the marks, or go around through the side windows.

Obviously there are several other places in the two Battlegrounds to do this as well, but I found this to be the most effective and annoying spot.

Not ONCE did I lose the clock tower 1v1 at the beginning using this method; because more often than not, people would run up the ramp and through my marks. You can't really see the marks, because after you go up the ramp, it just cuts off completely flat. You're also aiming your camera up to look at the point, so you're not really paying attention to the floor.
    Last edited by Pandolfo; 2012-05-03 at 09:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had fun in WvW on my staff Necro but I felt like the staple Necro mechanics like life steal and condition stacking we too limited by range and cooldowns. I might take a longer look at Necro next BWE.

Did anyone else have similar feelings?