Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Nope. Would not change my mind. I don't care if it's not human. If we understood the human brain well enough, we could program it too. Would you treat biological aliens as if they weren't deserving of equal rights simply because they aren't human?
    Not what I said at all. programming emotion is not the same as feeling emotion. Aliens are not artificial intelligence - if they exist - it would be natural intelligence. I will never be able to see something mechanically created as human, or on the same level as humans in which they should receive equal human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    So its the physical human body that gives us rights?
    Again, nope. I simply stated that appearance of an object can affect people's views immensely. Looking at something that looks human and behaves as such, in contrast to looking at something that looks manufactured but behaves human are two completely different things to some people. I was suggesting that some people that are for human rights for AI might be persuaded to reconsider if the AI did not resemble humans, but something robotic and inanimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    The OP Isn't talking about simulation, he is talking about true, self aware, emotion based AI. Basically, everything we are, just created instead of born.
    I get that, but unless it's genetic engineering as opposed to robotic programming then I'm against it.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even more scary is if they were given rights...what about things like getting married/making them pay taxes and other things we as humans do.

Quote Originally Posted by slipn View Post
    Even more scary is if they were given rights...what about things like getting married/making them pay taxes and other things we as humans do.
    What if they committed a crime, would we send them to jail for rehabilitation?

What if they become depressed, do we give them robot prozac?

I mean people who think that objects will become truly self-aware are pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelfie View Post
    I'd prefer if we were to give AI higher than human rights, because they would most likely do something useful to this planet. Since most of the human race past 2000 years utterly failed at it.
    Except in making a "superior" race of beings?

10+ Year Old Account
    If we man make a conscience equal to our own, then absolutely.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

If we ever were to create an artificial intelligence we should turn it off for good as soon as possible. It wouldn't be limited by biological evolution so it could potentially evolve to become indefinetly smarter than us very fast. It has been proposed that as soon as you'd turn on an AI that is equal to our intelligence at the very moment of its creation then it would already have surpassed our intelligence a second later. The longer it would stay on the harder it would be to stop it if we needed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    If we man make a conscience equal to our own, then absolutely.
    How and who is going to judge that?

If they are programmed to be "self-aware" and act with a conscience, where does the programming end, and "sentience" begin?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    How and who is going to judge that?

If they are programmed to be "self-aware" and act with a conscience, where does the programming end, and "sentience" begin?
    They would tell us. Obviously if we made a conscience that was blind, deaf, and mute, then how would anyone know? But, if we made a robot that talks to us, we can just analyze it, could we not?

How do you know anyone but yourself has a conscience/consciousness?
    Last edited by Irisel; 2012-05-05 at 01:41 AM.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    How can they really be sentient if they are just running a "sentient" program?
    By the time we would have the technology to create a true AI it wouldn't be done with a traditioanl computer program. It would have a brain (either a mechanical one or a organic one that is engineered).

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Unify View Post
    Not what I said at all. programming emotion is not the same as feeling emotion. Aliens are not artificial intelligence - if they exist - it would be natural intelligence. I will never be able to see something mechanically created as human, or on the same level as humans in which they should receive equal human rights.
    You are a machine, just of different construction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    You are a machine, just of different construction.
    Human emotion, for the most part, is just as mechanical as a (future) proposed mechanical conscience. It's simply chemical and electrical stimulus.

10+ Year Old Account
    100% no, a machine is and always will be just that.

The day a robot asks if he's alive is the day he gets rights.

I welcome our overlords.

Well see that's the thing, there's no such thing as true sentience. But then again, think about this, if we did kill a sentient being and somehow turned it back on, could it tell us what it felt like to be dead?
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    it's pretty hard to find a good girl in the sea of whores that is my country, brazil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hurry, get the terminator!
    Time is the greatest teacher, but unfortunately, it ends up killing all of its students.

Robots are slaves

They don't need a free will...

Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    Hopefully we'll be smart enough to never develop machines to that point, because I'm thinking "no".
    ^This

So long as we don't create machines that are aware of themselves, then by current ethical codes that we apply to ourselves as well as animals, we don't need to give them any rights.
    Also remember, that self-awareness is what usually starts the robot uprisings, so there's a huge motivation to also not go in that trend beyond avoiding ethical dilemma.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many people won't even give human rights to other humans, what makes you think we'd ever give them to a machine/program?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    By the time we would have the technology to create a true AI it wouldn't be done with a traditioanl computer program. It would have a brain (either a mechanical one or a organic one that is engineered).
    He is right, even today we can grow organic part of us by using stemcells. And why don't we use this technologi? Simply because we give the unborn embryo human right, why?
    I can't see why they shouldn't have equal rights, you give a child who is made in a lab (donor sperm given to a single woman) human right, and that is nearly the same, only that an AI would be made without having to in an uterus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jahasafrat View Post
    Many people won't even give human rights to other humans, what makes you think we'd ever give them to a machine/program?
    Hopefully, by the time WE are smart/capable enough to build a conscience from our own doing, we would have evolved away from these prejudges. Honestly, it's almost like the next step in our evolution. It's either we bond with machine, or we make machine and they progress from us, as superiors.