Page 32 of 85 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrand View Post
    For those who did PVP guardian what kind of damage were you doing? For me I would regularly hit around the 1k-2k mark, but I have seen warriors crit for 11k+
    I didn't pay attention to the damage either, but all I can say is that I could survive for a very, very long time against 2 opponents until another one of my team mates came and helped me. When I mean survive against 2 opponents i'm not talking about kiting or running away, but dodging around them and use my different skills and weapon swap.

I was very surprised to be able to survive for that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    I didn't pay attention to the damage either, but all I can say is that I could survive for a very, very long time against 2 opponents until another one of my team mates came and helped me. When I mean survive against 2 opponents i'm not talking about kiting or running away, but dodging around them and use my different skills and weapon swap.

I was very surprised to be able to survive for that long.
    With a defensive build, surviving doesn't mean much except that you're able to draw their attention and they're not able to tell you're in such a build; if you were in an offensive build, I'd be more surprised you were still alive. Though as it sounds, you just survived and didn't do much relative damage output. That's like everyone trying to burst down a Blood DK in WoW PvP...he.just.won't.DIE.............not to say there's no skill involved, just that it's easier.

Were you in an offensive or defensive build, and were you doing damage enough where they'd eventually die before you? I played an offensive Guardian in PvP and did well in 1v1 (rare occurrence), but 2v1 was rather difficult if the players knew what they were doing to some degree.

I wasn't completely sold on the Gaurdian until I read through this post and watched some of the videos. I know what I'll be rolling next BWE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Has anyone found any guardian pvp vids with them using a greatsword? I haven't. I feel like people were avoiding it or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Has anyone found any guardian pvp vids with them using a greatsword? I haven't. I feel like people were avoiding it or something.
    Finding some isn't hard. Finding good ones... now that's a challenge.

EDIT: Can't post links. But my search terms were

"greatsword guardian guild wars 2 pvp"

I think the problem with greatsword in PvP is that you want to use 3 (the spinning whirlwind) more for its defensive capabilities, reflecting projectiles, than offensive, but it's used offensively quite a bit. 5 is a great CC, 4 is a good defensive CC if you can see a warrior prepping something massive, i.e. 2 (the AoE melee ground slam) feels a bit weak damage wise but is a nice boon. Auto swing actually hits decently on the third swing, the problem is getting the third swing in.

I really only see Greatsword as an anti-kiting mechanism really. If you want pure damage, 2H mace is going to win every time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think the problem with greatsword in PvP is that you want to use 3 (the spinning whirlwind) more for its defensive capabilities, reflecting projectiles, than offensive, but it's used offensively quite a bit. 5 is a great CC, 4 is a good defensive CC if you can see a warrior prepping something massive, i.e. 2 (the AoE melee ground slam) feels a bit weak damage wise but is a nice boon. Auto swing actually hits decently on the third swing, the problem is getting the third swing in.

I really only see Greatsword as an anti-kiting mechanism really. If you want pure damage, 2H mace is going to win every time.
    I don't think whirling wrath reflects projectiles. Are you thinking of zealot's defense?

1) Whirling Wrath does not reflect projectiles and is a legitimate AoE damage burst skill.
    2) Leap of Faith is designed as a gap closer with Blind
    3) The third attack from the Chain attack grants Might, vs the Hammer laying down a Symbol of Protection
    4) You're discounting Symbol of Wrath way too much

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember: Symbol of Wrath is a combo field, and Whirling Wrath a whirling combo finisher. The two combined removes conditions from nearby allies.
    Note that Binding Blade is also a whirling finisher... and that Leap of Faith is a leap finisher (with field of light, you apply retaliation to all nearby allies, assuming you leap onto one).

Greatsword Guardians are gonna be a bitch to lock down.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Next beta weekend, I'll try and record some videos with all the weapons and a few specific builds. Give the people some idea on how each weapon plays.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Hmmm, I need to read up on combo'ing more, it seems. I totally neglected the finisher aspects of Whirling Wrath and Binding Blade.

Also, we definitely have a spinning skill that prevents ranged attacks. Maybe it's on sword?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm, I need to read up on combo'ing more, it seems. I totally neglected the finisher aspects of Whirling Wrath and Binding Blade.

Also, we definitely have a spinning skill that prevents ranged attacks. Maybe it's on sword?
    Either it was changed, or you're thinking of a different class!
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only skill I know of that does spinning while reflecting projectiles is the Thief Elite: Dagger Storm.

Its the wirlwind on the Great Sword and yes it does reflect ranged attacks / or at least thats what the tooltip says.

I just hope to see the scepter or staff gets changed to be more effective in WvW besides stoping playings from running into a keep for a 2-4 seconds which they get into the keep anyway , also no way to do damage to a player ontop of the keep walls as the staff or scepter does not go up. As far as PvE goes yes the weapons are fine but they are very underpowered in WvW compared to other Ranged ability's from other classes. Yes I understand the Guardian is a more defensive protect your team kind of class. But If I want to dish out some ranged damage in WvW is the enemy player is off ground level "The Fun" of the class is gone and it just turns into hitting the door or standing around with the thumb up my.... you know , Hard to hit a door in melee while being blasted by the guys ontop of a Keep you can not attack......

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't say it reflects at all. Are you perhaps mistaking the whirling wrath for symbol of wrath which provides retaliation.

---------- Post added 2012-05-06 at 11:20 PM ----------

So looking at whirling wraths tooltip, it says "projectile damage: 1412 damage: 1413" If I were to be right in the face of a mob, would both of those combine?

Yeah its Symbol of Wrath I thought it was the whirling wrath I don't know why but I normally put down Symbol , Grip 2-3 people to me and whirl so I guess I got a little confused of which ability did the retal part =D

10+ Year Old Account
    I was getting around 1.5-2.5k hits with my build. 3-4k with Warhammer crits whenever I used it.

As for the ranged aspect, I just want them to re-do staff abilities to give more of a long ranged offensive build.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klazmaunt View Post
    I was getting around 1.5-2.5k hits with my build. 3-4k with Warhammer crits whenever I used it.

As for the ranged aspect, I just want them to re-do staff abilities to give more of a long ranged offensive build.
    Agree, staff was very disappointing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Agree, staff was very disappointing.
    There were moments where I saw potential in structured PvP, but it was next to useless in WvWvW and any PvE.

I used it sparingly as an opener for spiking damage, would use Martyr then switch to Warhammer and do some pretty nice damage. Other than that...it was just meh. Definitely a situational weapon.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

Agreed with the Staff if anything I like the one suggestion I saw on the beta forum it may seem dumb but at least it would be more useful in a WvW situation to make it shoot out a mean of light of some short this way it can go upwards instead of just a cone in front of you. Like said the Martyr and Line of Warding I loved but the other 3 didn't feel so great and were very situational.

The rest of the glass I feel is prefect I don't like the scepter to much ethier but if they make the staff more viable I can deal with the scepter being the way it is =D

Hold the Line is my favorite utility skill by far it's so amazing to use in PvE and PvP when you notice your group seems low on health it heals for a very decent amount.