Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

[TV] Any good sci-fi TV shows?

Are there any good sci-fi TV shows running at the moment? Something involving space travel and exploration, like Star Trek or Stargate Universe?

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really.

I don't know what you've already watched. If you're new to the genre then check out Firely or Battlestar Galactica 2004.

If you have seen that then you're kinda out of luck. Shitty mainstream networks are interested in putting out garbage atm. When they crash expect a few good series.

15+ Year Old Account
    First two seasons of Fringe before it turned into a love story for 2 seasons, it's starting to get good again though, because the next season is the last.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dr. Who is pretty good.

Yeah, I've seen Battlestar Galactica and it was awesome. Haven't seen Firefly, but imdb.com say it ran for only one season and it has a rating of 9.3.

See, this is what I don't understand: there are great shows with high ratings that were cancelled prematurely. Annoying.

Falling skies is rather good

Running atm, no. However Battlestar Galactica is one of my favorite shows, old and new!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    Dr. Who is pretty good.
    You can even watch it on Netflix.

Your life will change.

(Not because of Netflix)
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven

Quote Originally Posted by Idontlikeyou View Post
    You can even watch it on Netflix.

Your life will change.

(Not because of Netflix)
    I'd recommend Doctor Who as well, but it's not really the type of show he's looking for

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Are there any good sci-fi TV shows running at the moment? Something involving space travel and exploration, like Star Trek or Stargate Universe?
    already been said probably, but if you want to see the proper "stargate:universe" watch battlestar galactica, same thing but much better.

Deleted
    There aren't any, unfortunately.

You can check out some old shows, like Firefly and followup movie Serenity. I still don't get it why they canceled it after 1 season, it was the best show of last decade.

Deleted
    i enjoyed Stargate SG1 / Atlantis / Universe. great fan of the shows and the stargate concept ...
    sadly Universe got cancled too ...

I also pretty much enjoyed Falling Skies and Terra Nova (though terra nova possibly doesn't fit into the sci-fi category that well)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    See, this is what I don't understand: there are great shows with high ratings that were cancelled prematurely. Annoying.
    Something can be fantastically rated and loved by millions.. but because the TV networks are living in the 1960's world of ratings they cancel and base decisions on some inaccurate figure they gather from Nielson.

This is why most people say TV is dying and I'm fairly certain in the next 6 years we'll witness the death throws of networks like NBC CBS ABC etc. They can't compete with the current model.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    There aren't any, unfortunately.

You can check out some old shows, like Firefly and followup movie Serenity. I still don't get it why they canceled it after 1 season, it was the best show of last decade.
    Because it got horrible ratings. While most shows get shitty ratings their first season, Sci-Fi shows are only popular to a niche crowd. Eating up prime time television slots for a show that wasn't doing well didn't sit right with them. Fox didn't let it live long enough for it to become popular, but after it was cancelled before one season was even done, it gained a cult following.

Like others have said, Firefly is one of the best sci fi shows of all time. The characters are all incredibly awesome, every single one of them.

The only downside is, once you watch it, you're just going to get pissed it's been cancelled. Every time I rewatch the series I want to punch the Fox execs who pulled the plug.

The "verse" was well written and had plenty of arcs to last for a long, long time, the main arc being River's past and the struggle against the Alliance. Because it got so popular after its cancellation, the original cast was able to be brought back together to give a more fleshed out back story and bring closure to the story.
    Last edited by Dirgon; 2012-05-07 at 08:03 AM.

Deleted
    All of the Stargate versions, Firefly is probs one of the best, to bad its only 1 season tho . Battlestar Galactica is by far the best of them all. Babylon 5 the later seasons is quite good.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will watch Firefly and then I will try Doctor Who.

Fireflyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

beware though, your hate for FOX will grow after finishing the last episode of the only season for this kickass show

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it got cancelled, but the first couple seasons of Warehouse13 were enjoyable. I mean, the writing and acting wasn't great but the way they spun history and fiction together was a fun trip for the imagination.

Deleted
    Like many others have suggested check out Firefly (+ the movie Serenity). I also recommend Farscape, Babylon 5 and if you are into anime/cartoons Space Battleship Yamato and Futurama.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    Babylon 5
    This x1000.

Although that series has a very coherent plot so it really doesn't make sense unless you watch from the beginning to the end, but it is one of the best sci-fi series I have ever seen.