Poll: How motivated will you be by the "cosmetic progression system"?

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post

I certainly don't hold the belief that GW2 will be perfect. I don't like the story writing any more than I like WoW's story writing, for example. I also think the game lacks a tutorial, and I think the difficulty ramps up too quickly. I also think that ranged is way too easy to play. But these are also problems that can be addressed in beta, or at least mistakes that can be learned from for future expansions. Most of these problems have already been acknowledged by ANet.

More on-topic, and less about personal attacks: if you really want to see me post more elaborately in my response to him, I've done so, and it was about 8 hours before he posted.

Before BWE1, I was also very concerned about the long-term draw of this game, and being able to keep the more hardcore players interested for many months in a row. But after my weekend experience... I have no such qualms. It's really hard to describe just how much stuff there is to do without simply plopping you down into the game to see for yourself. I have no doubt that when the first GW2 expansion/campaign comes out with fresh content, I will still have not done everything.

To describe it makes you think "What? But WoW has achievements and exploration, and it was boring there!" but GW2 isn't WoW. That's not to say it's necessarily done better, but it's not done in nearly the same manner, and you can't judge your experiences in WoW to get a feeling for how fun or boring GW2 will be.
    That's like saying that WoW bosses are boring because Diablo bosses are "boring" in your book.
    I was going to let this go, but I'm just overcome with curiosity, here. You actually used the term "hardcore players" and said that you've "no such qualms" as to them being totally content with the possibilities in GW2. I'm... not seeing it. Actually, I, as many others, planned to play GW2 on the side as there's simple not enough content to totally hold my interest on the same level of dedication that I've given other P2P mmos over the years.

Not a bad thing, mind you. Just how I see it. I played the beta pretty extensively. I saw people getting to level 30+ in less than 2 days played. I saw people with 100% completion in several areas in those same 2 days. Those would be the hardcore players I'm assuming you'd be referring to.

Let's say for example those same hardcore people decided to play GW2 as their only MMO. Would they still have things to keep them occupies for months on end? Even if they played 8+ hours a day with the mindset of hardcore completionists? I'm not trying to nit pick for the sake of proving you wrong or something as trivial. I'm sincerely intrigued. I feel like I've missed something here, because in my opinion, those players with 26% game completion and level 30+ characters in 2 days will be, well, finished with the game in a month at that rate, simply continuing to play (if at all) with friends and guild members, but certainly not doing anything "new."

Looking for enlightenment here, rather than conflict.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    I was going to let this go, but I'm just overcome with curiosity, here. You actually used the term "hardcore players" and said that you've "no such qualms" as to them being totally content with the possibilities in GW2. I'm... not seeing it. Actually, I, as many others, planned to play GW2 on the side as there's simple not enough content to totally hold my interest on the same level of dedication that I've given other P2P mmos over the years.

Not a bad thing, mind you. Just how I see it. I played the beta pretty extensively. I saw people getting to level 30+ in less than 2 days played. I saw people with 100% completion in several areas in those same 2 days. Those would be the hardcore players I'm assuming you'd be referring to.

Let's say for example those same hardcore people decided to play GW2 as their only MMO. Would they still have things to keep them occupies for months on end? Even if they played 8+ hours a day with the mindset of hardcore completionists? I'm not trying to nit pick for the sake of proving you wrong or something as trivial. I'm sincerely intrigued. I feel like I've missed something here, because in my opinion, those players with 26% game completion and level 30+ characters in 2 days will be, well, finished with the game in a month at that rate, simply continuing to play (if at all) with friends and guild members, but certainly not doing anything "new."

Looking for enlightenment here, rather than conflict.
    Because there's a LOT of stuff to do. Since you did play BWE1, I'm lost as to how you came to that conclusion. Remember that the "game completion" on the minimap was only in regards to Renown Hearts, Skill Challenges, and Waypoints. It has nothing to do with how many DEs you've completed, the Personal Story, nor ANY dungeons. Renown Hearts are not, by any stretch, the main draw of this game, nor what will keep people playing for months on end, nor is leveling meant to be the main source of content keeping people occupied.

We have only seen one, MAYBE two, Elite DEs, and only ONE of the dungeons, and we have not even once visited a zone for anything higher than level 30. Keep that in mind.

If you consider leveling to 30 in WoW to be something you can judge hardcore WoW gaming on... well, I'll leave that floating.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-07 at 03:54 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok let's try this again, 'cept this time, you respond to things I actually said, instead of this shit:

If you consider leveling to 30 in WoW to be something you can judge hardcore WoW gaming on... well, I'll leave that floating.
    We all know how you get when someone says anything partially negative about Guild Wars, so I'll remind you again that I'm looking for enlightenment rather than conflict. Getting to 30 impressive? No. Getting to 30 with 26% map completion in under 2 days played? Yeah ok, that's stretching it.

Ok so there's dungeons. They have different difficulties and modes of completion. There are a ton of DE's, some of which are elites and involve giant, complex boss battles. Got it. Pretty sure we all knew this. What exactly is there from stopping those level-thirty-in-two-day people from doing all of that in under a month? I'm not asking you to magically know something that we can't possible know yet, but if you recall, you said in your quoted post:

Before BWE1, I was also very concerned about the long-term draw of this game, and being able to keep the more hardcore players interested for many months in a row. But after my weekend experience... I have no such qualms. It's really hard to describe just how much stuff there is to do without simply plopping you down into the game to see for yourself.
    The game is fun and there's certainly a good amount of stuff to get into, but not near as much as there normally is in a game that releases with a dozen dungeons, heroic modes, 10-25 man raids and competitive (maybe even ranked) pvp, countless achievements and thousands of quests like many other MMOs are being released with. The reality check is that GW2 isn't a sub-based game so obviously it's going to have a little less than ones that demand money from you monthly, I'm just questioning your original statement.

What you're saying Vs what I've seen and what we actually know about the game, I'm not seeing how this game offers a hardcore player any more (or even as much) as other released MMOs in the past 5 years or so.

To describe it makes you think "What? But WoW has achievements and exploration, and it was boring there!" but GW2 isn't WoW. That's not to say it's necessarily done better, but it's not done in nearly the same manner, and you can't judge your experiences in WoW to get a feeling for how fun or boring GW2 will be.
    While it's definitely foolish to assume you completely understand one game because you've played a similar, I'm a little confused on the the way you worded this here. Why would someone who finds exploration and achievements boring in one game suddenly find them exciting in GW2? I'd be quicker to tell someone like this that the game may simply not be for them, as indeed in the end, this game will end up appealing to a specific niche anyway. (Opinion, but feel free to quote me on that and keep it in your back pocket for a year.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok let's try this again, 'cept this time, you respond to things I actually said, instead of this shit
    I did. Try to pay attention please.

We all know how you get when someone says anything partially negative about Guild Wars
    If you can't talk to me in a civil manner, I'm not even going to discuss this with you, but I'll leave this one little gem for you:

We have only seen one, MAYBE two, Elite DEs, and only ONE of the dungeons, and we have not even once visited a zone for anything higher than level 30. Keep that in mind.
    How much of the world in WoW accounts for pre level 30? Consider the WoW world, btw, as only being 1-60. Do NOT compare WoW with three expansions to GW2 at launch.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-07 at 07:29 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Ok so there's dungeons. They have different difficulties and modes of completion. There are a ton of DE's, some of which are elites and involve giant, complex boss battles. Got it. Pretty sure we all knew this. What exactly is there from stopping those level-thirty-in-two-day people from doing all of that in under a month? I'm not asking you to magically know something that we can't possible know yet, but if you recall, you said in your quoted post:

The game is fun and there's certainly a good amount of stuff to get into, but not near as much as there normally is in a game that releases with a dozen dungeons, heroic modes, 10-25 man raids and competitive (maybe even ranked) pvp, countless achievements and thousands of quests like many other MMOs are being released with. The reality check is that GW2 isn't a sub-based game so obviously it's going to have a little less than ones that demand money from you monthly, I'm just questioning your original statement.
    Obviously

Any particular source to back this up or are you just assuming this is the case?

How much of the world in WoW accounts for pre level 30? Consider the WoW world, btw, as only being 1-60. Do NOT compare WoW with three expansions to GW2 at launch.
    I think very little people are left who have experienced WoW from launch. Its sad watching people bailing on games due to them not being on par with wow,a game that's had six years of polish.

Deleted
    True we aint have indoor raids (while we have all the others and DEs)
    But as for the achivement (got them too), we have Zelda-hidden-trasures all over the world
    The best part , with this game it has no sub , and we can play along an other games
    Lets be friends
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-05-07 at 08:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Obviously

Any particular source to back this up or are you just assuming this is the case?
    Assuming which part exactly? That's a pretty big quote, most of which was data I, and most other players, learned from both playing the beta and reading up on the game for the past 6+ years or more. (Most likely more )

Assuming that this game won't have as much relevant content as sub based games, that is the assumption made on your part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    True we aint have indoor raids (while we have all the others)
    But as for the achivement (got them too), we have Zelda-hidden-trasures all over the world
    The best part , with this game it has no sub , and we can play along an other games
    Lets be friends
    Absolutely

As you may have noticed, I'm not trash talking the game in the slightest or even approaching it negatively, just a little tired of the blind defending of the game by particular people in areas they we know very little about. The game wont be perfect, none of them are, and none of them should be addressed as such. The game will indeed suffer from longevity issues if you play it very hardcore and as your only MMO fix, but as you and I have both said, we'll play it with other games due to it's lack of sub.

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 03:13 PM ----------

Assuming that this game won't have as much relevant content as sub based games, that is the assumption made on your part.
    Maybe I should have been a bit more clear. It wont have the same type of quantitiy in it's content as other games of the same genre. While other games will have:

a dozen dungeons, heroic modes, 10-25 man raids and competitive (maybe even ranked) pvp, countless achievements and thousands of quests
    GW2 boasts a focus on exploration and completion, rather than your traditional grindfest. This we've known for... well forever, but it's also what the longevity in other MMOs consists of. I'm not questioning the game's enjoyment or quality. Never have, never will. I'm just wondering what Drake and other posters had in mind for the content that's going to keep "hardcore" players satiated between expansions.

That's all. A curiosity.

Deleted
    Hehe true , any game will suffer from longevity issues if you play it very hardcore
    Its better to play 2-3 games at the same times , instead of fighting over the forums , which is better

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    Hehe true , any game will suffer from longevity issues if you play it very hardcore
    Its better to play 2-3 games at the same times , instead of fighting over the forums , which is better
    Indeed. I made sure to lace every post of mine with assurances that I was simply curious, rather than seeking conflict, but people are a bit sensitive around here lately. And by "around here", I mean basically everywhere, any time, for no reason. It's the new thing.

I'm hoping to get a little enlightenment rather than saying "We haven't seen anything so how could you possibly know? Oh also I'm certain that there's plenty to do even though I haven't seen any more than you have. Don't question it!"

So hardcore players are the ones in which enjoy the skinners box? Because that is essentially what those games are. I much rather have the quality of the content that GW2 promises (I know we haven't seen it yet) rather than the shallow "quantity" of content that other mmos have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely

As you may have noticed, I'm not trash talking the game in the slightest or even approaching it negatively, just a little tired of the blind defending of the game by particular people in areas they we know very little about. The game wont be perfect, none of them are, and none of them should be addressed as such. The game will indeed suffer from longevity issues if you play it very hardcore and as your only MMO fix, but as you and I have both said, we'll play it with other games due to it's lack of sub.

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 03:13 PM ----------

Maybe I should have been a bit more clear. It wont have the same type of quantitiy in it's content as other games of the same genre. While other games will have:

GW2 boasts a focus on exploration and completion, rather than your traditional grindfest. This we've known for... well forever, but it's also what the longevity in other MMOs consists of. I'm not questioning the game's enjoyment or quality. Never have, never will. I'm just wondering what Drake and other posters had in mind for the content that's going to keep "hardcore" players satiated between expansions.

That's all. A curiosity.
    its also a new game with a significant amount of content, relevant content at that, competing with a game that has 7, going on 8, years of content and polish in it

no matter how much budget a game has its nearly impossible to deliver as much raw content as wow does on day one

can we assume we'll get free content between expansions? well UW, FOW, and SF certainly do hint that the answer is "yes" but really its unknown at this point

they'll need to to hold the attention of most players, but straight up saying "theres not alot to do" at launch is well... unfair
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Also consider relevant content. That is a key term when comparing the games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also consider relevant content. That is a key term when comparing the games.
    also consider that the game will be launched at the same time as mists
    The Original Ganksta

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    also consider that the game will be launched at the same time as mists
    Is that good or bad?

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's not forget here. Not only have I never compared GW2 specifically to one game (especially the one you guys seem to keep bringing up here) but I've also been fair enough to compare the "relevant" content to other game's launches, rather than their current standing.

It's fine. We all know we love the game and will be playing it at launch. We'll see for ourselves then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that good or bad?
    realistically? bad for GW2 as blizzard will leach players away but since everyone will be showered with new and exciting with plenty of things to do they will be comparing it against a brand new game's amount of content

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 02:30 PM ----------

Let's not forget here. Not only have I never compared to specifically to one game (especially the one you guys seem to keep bringing up here) but I've also been fair enough to compare the "relevant" content to other game's launches, rather than their current standing.

It's fine. We all know we love the game and will be playing it at launch. We'll see for ourselves then.
    not attempting to be confrontational (yet) but really, which game will GW2 be compared against when it comes to amount of content? i think its safe to say we all know the answer to that
    The Original Ganksta

Deleted
    in a game that releases with a dozen dungeons, heroic modes, 10-25 man raids and competitive (maybe even ranked) pvp, countless achievements and thousands of quests
    8 dungeons, explorable modes, open world bosses, competitive pvp, countless achievements and thousands of events.