Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    I can't seem to see the connection between an entity created of bolts, fueled by electricity... and a life created of flesh and blood, fueled by energy.
    Electricity is energy. Incidentally electricity in your brain is how you are able to think.

Anyway I guess the problem with this debate is that we can't really agree on a definition of life. But we essentially boil down to organic robots.

some answers here are quite disparaging against AI.
    If that is the case, I am not surprised if AI one day will have to fight for its rights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlubbor View Post
    some answers here are quite disparaging against AI.
    If that is the case, I am not surprised if AI one day will have to fight for its rights.
    Many humans are still fighting for human rights. What makes you think any other sentient species would be different? For instance, if we get much better at genetic manipulation and are able to breed Dolphins with an average intelligence of humans, do you think they would start to be protected? Not for years if ever.

If a machine advances so much it achieves sentience, I believe it should have rights.
    Your grasp of the obvious is inspiring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Many humans are still fighting for human rights. What makes you think any other sentient species would be different? For instance, if we get much better at genetic manipulation and are able to breed Dolphins with an average intelligence of humans, do you think they would start to be protected? Not for years if ever.
    It's not about if they would. It's about if they should.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    It's not about if they would. It's about if they should.
    There has not been a group that was not in charge that had 'equal rights' without fighting for them.

I agree that they SHOULD, but to be realistic, it won't happen until they 'win' them against the people who wish to exploit them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    I can't help but think full sentience is impossible for an AI. I don't see it happening. You can program it to mimic us but to think for itself? Hmm :/
    You need to read more on technological singularity, seeing as it is quite likely to happen during our life time.

O.T. They will earn it whether we want it or not. Take a loot at artificial intelligence growth rate and you'll know that in few decades machines will be smarter than humans and then:

Why does the dog wag its tail?
    Because the dog is smarter than the tail.
    If the tail were smarter, it would wag the dog.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Here's another reason why a machine shouldn't be treated exactly like humans and thus have human rights: it could be practically immortal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Here's another reason why a machine shouldn't be treated exactly like humans and thus have human rights: it could be practically immortal.
    Planned obsolescence would solve that.

Deleted
    /batphones the 40k inquisition

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Sounds like your argument boils down to we deserve rights because we got here through evolution rather than being made by an external entity. So what about a human born via in vitro fertilization? They're a product of science artificially creating a functioning being. And you are right on one point, they would never be human. But not being human doesn't mean they would deserve to be treated like slaves on the sole reason being that they aren't human.

And before you think I'm doing test-tube humans a disservice by comparing them to robots, I think all life is just a form of organic robotics in general, so we are all "robots" per say. Not literally robots, but functionally the same.

I do have one more question. Do you object to giving rights to robots in general? Or just human rights?
    Why do people have such a hard-on for giving human rights to computer programs?

Of course they should. I agree with the "Sentient Rights" idea someone posted on the first couple of pages. If you can think and feel, then you should have the same rights as anybody else. The only difference between an AI of that magnitude and a human would be the hardware material. Feels kinda like we're back in time, talking about rights for black people... as if people of black skin color were less sentient.

A small step
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS3wMC2BpxU

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    Because its an interesting concept. What happens if an AI advances to the point where its so sentient that its thought processes are indistinguishable from the human brain? If you make something that has the brain of a human but the body of a machine, is it human? Do you treat it like a person or like a slave? Do our organs and flesh define us as human, or are they just a vessel for our minds?

People like to think about hypotheticals. It's how critical thinking skills develop. What's wrong with thinking?

15+ Year Old Account
    I would only believe they deserve "human" rights if they ever came to the point that they developed as humans do, as in being childs and growing up and more stuffs like that. Otherwise it is best to make "ai" rights instead. No point really trying to get something different than human to have human rights, they are just that HUMAN rights. Not "all living beings that are like human" rights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I would only believe they deserve "human" rights if they ever came to the point that they developed as humans do, as in being children and growing up and more stuffs like that. Otherwise it is best to make "AI" rights instead. No point really trying to get something different than human to have human rights, they are just that HUMAN rights. Not "all living beings that are like human" rights.
    As soon as we encounter (or create) other sentients, the name "human rights" will be outdated.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    Watch Blade Runner. Seriously, watch Blade Runner. It makes a pretty good case. Or play Mass Effect.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. It's artificial for a reason.

Deleted
    Depending on the AI, i could be willing to place its rights above that of a human. I dont really see the why people have a hard time accepting that we ourselves are basically machines aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Nope. It's artificial for a reason.
    And? Why does that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Egzis View Post
    Depending on the AI, i could be willing to place its rights above that of a human. I dont really see the why people have a hard time accepting that we ourselves are basically machines aswell.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who sees this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    So I got to thinking, if AI ever got to a level where it could think, feel, perceive, and learn as humans do, if AI was capable of true sentience, would they then deserve human rights? Like if I could build C-3PO, would he be right in demanding that he's not treated like a second class citizen, that he gets the right to vote or the right to due process? Should these rights be denied to mechanical beings simply because they are mechanical?
    Machines are designed to perform tasks. Right now I don't see a practical use for a machine with free will. AI is best applied to specific tasks. For example, using AI to organize stock at Amazon.com, using AI to analyze the stock market, using AI to help design new cars or aircraft. These AI's don't need free will, they don't need a personality, they don't need emotions.

Machines will be tools. I can't see a practical use for a machine that would make us question whether it should have rights or not.