Thread: [Music] Metal

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    As a longtime fan of Ahab, I'm kind of disappointed by the new direction they are taking with there upcoming album. Based on samples: It's soft, less aggressive and abrasive. I'm guessing they are trying to widen their fan base a bit, which I'm all for, but I'm not happy about how they're doing it.
    I feel the same way, The Call of the Wretched Sea is definitely more enjoyable to me than their newer one, it just has such an engulfing atmosphere to it that very few other albums or bands at all seem to be able to accomplish.

I seem to be on an OSDM rampage lately so I'll post this also, another quite unknown but great band that only released 2 albums, last was '92.

10+ Year Old Account
    OSDM?

Oh okay, I can play

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    New Miss May I track came out today (Metalcore)
    Their debut was a fantastic album

Monument was alright, but felt stale.

This... is not an improvement. Atrocious lyrics, nothing stands out instrumental wise, and the vocals are so heavily processed... Their bassist can't sing anything live, so I was hoping for less vocals from him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    OSDM?

Oh okay, I can play

<Therion>
    Funny how different that band is nowadays...

10+ Year Old Account
    That Darkthrone link is awesome and the Nihilist link made me smirk. Good un.

10+ Year Old Account
    A bit more then:

This thread just got obliterated with OSDM damn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreyzor View Post
    This thread just got obliterated with OSDM damn
    indeed...

Here are some more.

Gorement

One of the best obscure Swedish DM bands. Definitely worth listening to if you haven't heard it yet

Demigod

In my eyes the best thing Finland has to offer in the DM department (yes, even better than Demilich) and one of the best DM records of all time, only a handful of other albums can even compete.

Deleted
    Demigod

In my eyes the best thing Finland has to offer in the DM department (yes, even better than Demilich) and one of the best DM records of all time, only a handful of other albums can even compete.
    I almost forgot how much I love Demigod, I want that album so badly. And that song just slays, plus it is weirdly addictive for death metal!

Demigod

This satisfies, mmmm. So good.

Another one from this album

Oh and more Finnish stuff
    Last edited by Kreyzor; 2012-05-06 at 07:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    I almost forgot how much I love Demigod, I want that album so badly. And that song just slays, plus it is weirdly addictive for death metal!
    This happens to me a lot. I go through my music collection and decide to listen to something I've haven't heard in a long time. After playing it I always ask myself: "This great, why don't I listen to it more often?" A solution for this would be to make a list of all those great DM albums to be used as a reference so they won't be so easily forgotten. We could start a list here, but it will probably get buried and forgotten after a while; a new thread would be the way to go, though I question its popularity to it being really worth the trouble (after all there are only about 5 of us who post here regularly and DM isn't exactly popular here. If it were metalcore though... ).

This satisfies, mmmm. So good.

Another one from this album
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnp06...feature=relmfu

Oh and more Finnish stuff
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubu8y...eature=related
    Those are pretty great, especially Phantasm, they have a cool unique sound. Also the Depravity album cover somewhat reminds me of the blue lagoon in Iceland, the color of the water and the contrast to the rocks surrounding it and they way the people are relaxing in it.

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 05:30 PM ----------

Since I mentioned Iceland I might as well post a band from there.

Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2012-05-07 at 10:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    This happens to me a lot. I go through my music collection and decide to listen to something I've haven't heard in a long time. After playing it I always ask myself: "This great, why don't I listen to it more often?" A solution for this would be to make a list of all those great DM albums to be used as a reference so they won't be so easily forgotten. We could start a list here, but it will probably get buried and forgotten after a while; a new thread would be the way to go, though I question its popularity to it being really worth the trouble (after all there are only about 5 of us who post here regularly and DM isn't exactly popular here. If it were metalcore though... ).

Those are pretty great, especially Phantasm, they have a cool unique sound. Also the Depravity album cover somewhat reminds me of the blue lagoon in Iceland, the color of the water and the contrast to the rocks surrounding it and they way the people are relaxing in it.

[COLOR="red"]
    Hahaha dat picture.

As for the list, I think it could be done, not really as a very popular topic but something that can be referenced. Maybe stickied/noted in the stickies. There was a discussion of reviving the "essential" albums thread and we came to the conclusion that it is way too subjective, but if you make a list that is fairly comprehensive but has no aims of being objective in any ways, it could work.

Anyways, dunno if this was posted but this is some weird DM with black metal-like production values. It certainly takes a certain mindset for me to enjoy but when I am in that mindset this is pretty damn good.
    And I love the cover art.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just comes across as Portal pt. 2 if I remember correctly. Too late to have a listen now, but recognise the name.

Also the Depravity album cover somewhat reminds me of the blue lagoon in Iceland, the color of the water and the contrast to the rocks surrounding it and they way the people are relaxing in it.
    Lol that's pretty awesome, and creepishly does look very similar. Also apparently the artist who drew this cover also made those for Nespithe and Psychostasia, which isn't surprising considering they all look basically the same.

Deleted
    Lol that's pretty awesome, and creepishly does look very similar. Also apparently the artist who drew this cover also made those for Nespithe and Psychostasia, which isn't surprising considering they all look basically the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j2q9...eature=related
    Long ago I came to accept that all good Polish BM is NS stuff. Really too bad, if weren't for that I would gladly support them by buying their albums or going to their concerts (which both are not possible anyway because of where I live).

I know this is a metal thread and that they are definitely not pure metal, more of a mix of prog rock, jazz, and death metal, but is anyone here a fan of maudlin of the Well (or Toby Driver for that matter)?

Here are some examples (from the album Bath, since it's imo overall their best):

The most metal song on this album.

My favorite song on their album. (less metal than the other one)

There is already a (OS)DM thread here on the forum, but you will probably have to dig through the pages to find it again. Have been slacking at posting lately, and seeing how you guys have been posting some DM, I guess it's time for me to make my return

I love this entire album

This is how solos in DM are supposed to be, slow and evil (around the 5min mark)

The heaviest band ever. No discussion needed.

They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

10+ Year Old Account
    @nektar, definitely a fan of MotW. Seem to recall them being posted in the Avantgarde thread as well.