10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Well that's still exciting. Can you imagine a balanced budget? No deficit? Paid off debt? Goddamn I'm getting hot just thinking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Lol, yeah, I was actually so happy when Eriseis got an avatar, I can finally pick him out among the masses!

Wouldn't it trash the economy in the long run?
    On the plus side, we wouldn't have to worry about tensions with China (as much). Our international debt raters might be more generous to us. Beyond that, I can't think of any benefits that aren't purely abstract.

I think he said something along the lines of "I'd rather have a job than a ring."
    And he's willing to force that one everyone else.

I'd rather we have a society that takes equal protection under the law seriously thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Wouldn't it trash the economy in the long run?
    A balanced budget, no deficit, and paid off debt would hurt the economy? Or do you mean the austerity measures that might be required to get there?

Well that's still exciting. Can you imagine a balanced budget? No deficit? Paid off debt? Goddamn I'm getting hot just thinking about it.
    Yeah....you're not going to balance the budget when you tank the economy again.

And that's not going to "get you a job over a ring"

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I'd rather we have a society that takes equal protection under the law seriously thanks.
    Well, the economy is more important than gay marriage, and has been for a long time, according to polls. And it makes complete sense why. In tough times, you get your priorities straight, no?
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-05-15 at 04:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we need to get our House in order before we stand a serious chance of paying back China.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the economy is more important than gay marriage, and has been for a long time, according to polls. And it makes complete sense why. It tough times, you get your priorities straight, no?
    Yeah, but you can use that same sort of logic to say that any issue valued by the majority is more important than an issue valued by the minority, even if it's their civil rights.

That's why civil rights should never be a democratically settled issue. Everyone deserves to have the same rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the economy is more important than gay marriage, and has been for a long time, according to polls. And it makes complete sense why. In tough times, you get your priorities straight, no?
    And yet, we can work towards a prosperous society for *everyone* at the same time if we choose.

I would rather see everyone benefit from the same rules than to completely marginalize a group of people over an issue.

(That might sound sappy/romantic, but no more so than paying off our debt in the near future.)
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-05-15 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    Yeah, but you can use that same sort of logic to say that any issue valued by the majority is more important than an issue valued by the minority, even if it's their civil rights.

That's why civil rights should never be a democratically settled issue. Everyone deserves to have the same rights.
    Yeah, but we're not talking about employment equality, or something very serious. We're talking about marriage equality, which, while important, doesn't have the same sense of urgency that something like the right to employment has, for example.

Yup. I'll vote for the guy who has the economy improving under his watch over the guy promising austerity. That way I can have my equal rights and jobs.

Yeah, but we're not talking about employment equality, or something very serious.
    Yes we are. You can still be fired for being gay in much of the US. Need a little less right to work and a little more freedom to work. And your privilege is showing.

---------- Post added 2012-05-15 at 04:50 AM ----------

And every instance of inequal protection under the law is serious Dacien.

Yup. I'll vote for the guy who has the economy improving under his watch
    Yeah, you keep pushing that angle. It's "getting better" now, is it? Splendid.

Yes we are. You can still be fired for being gay in much of the US. Need a little less right to work and a little more freedom to work. And your privilege is showing.
    It's not just me homeboy (can I call you homeboy?), gay men and women across the country aren't voting how you think they should vote, in a "civil rights" vacuum, where that's all that matters.

Yeah, you keep pushing that angle. It's "getting better" now, is it? Splendid.
    Do you deny the economy is improving?

in a "civil rights" vacuum, where that's all that matters.
    Not what I said. But given the fact that the homosexual community so heavily favors democrats there must be something in the GOP platform about not really recognizing their status as full citizens they don't like.

10+ Year Old Account
    gay men and women across the country aren't voting how you think they should vote, in a "civil rights" vacuum, where that's all that matters.
    I think that a radio anecdote from a station that possesses a bandwidth smaller than something a child could procure in this modern age is hardly an exhibition for the "widespread phenomena" you are claiming.

I can find a flying penguin if I look hard and long enough. However, it won't be seeking my attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but we're not talking about employment equality, or something very serious. We're talking about marriage equality, which, while important, doesn't have the same sense of urgency that something like the right to employment has, for example.
    Yeah, no. If marriage didn't carry with it an inordinate number of rights and privileges, except is does.
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Not what I said. But given the fact that the homosexual community so heavily favors democrats there must be something in the GOP platform about not really recognizing their status as full citizens they don't like.
    I don't doubt that the gay community will more heavily favor Democrats. Same way the disenfranchised usually vote Democratic. But I was a poor man voting Republican, and gay men and women will likewise vote Republican in what would seem like a self-defeating voting choice.

I think that a radio anecdote from a station that possesses a bandwidth smaller than something a child could procure in this modern age is hardly an exhibition for the "widespread phenomena" you are claiming.

I can find a flying penguin if I look hard and long enough. However, it won't be seeking my attention.
    Plus a gay man with a job telling everyone that having jobs is so important that they should vote against equal rights is pretty lulzy.

I dunno about the noon-3PM show I'm talking about, but KFI has an enormous listenership. Their drive-time and morning shows pull big fucking numbers. The SoCal talk radio market is really huge.

I don't doubt that the gay community will more heavily favor Democrats. Same way the disenfranchised usually vote Democratic. But I was a poor man voting Republican, and gay men and women will likewise vote Republican in what would seem like a self-defeating voting choice.
    Yup I'm sure they're flocking to the GOP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno about the noon-3PM show I'm talking about, but KFI has an enormous listenership. Their drive-time and morning shows pull big fucking numbers. The SoCal talk radio market is really huge.
    Oh, I'll take your word for it, but it still doesn't represent the feelings of gay people throughout the country.

"I'd rather have a job than a ring"! Well good job dude, you've got a job, now how about not thinking its society's business to make that decision for the rest of the gay community?