10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theendgamelv3 View Post
    I doubt the game is gonna drop a lot of gems or else there would be no point of a cash shop.
    Gems are not an in-game drop. You can trade them with other players at the cost of gold, which at level 80 will be likely be fairly easy to come by.

Caveat: If some people want to spent more than $180 a year in GW2, that's entirely their decision, rather than something that was forced upon them.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Isn't the point now that you don't need to pay $9/mo (or any amount monthly) to get any of that?

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Technically it's $60 every 6 months, assuming they stick to the same release schedule they had in GW1.
    I heard they decided to go to 12 month intervals.

Do your math again!
    Also what does that even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Kadeth View Post
    Isn't the point now that you don't need to pay $9/mo (or any amount monthly) to get any of that?
    We shall see if Anet deliver over 9 months to that content type and rapidity. We shall see, indeed. /arch eyebrow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I heard they decided to go to 12 month intervals.
    Really? That's not bad. So that means I can just compare it to $60 for the first year, than $40 for the second year.

I'm not 100% sure expansions will be cheaper than the original, but that's not a big deal.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I think the GW2 expansions will likely be the price of the original. In GW1 they were standalone till GWEN. It might be they do the the Elona/Cantha thing again.

10+ Year Old Account
    To Rift I will give credit where it's due. Trion do put a lot of effort into upkeep and new content, and don't take their subscribers for granted like a lot of other companies do.

Really? That's not bad. So that means I can just compare it to $60 for the first year, than $40 for the second year.

I'm not 100% sure expansions will be cheaper than the original, but that's not a big deal.
    I would think they'd be full priced, which means GW2 is ~$145 cheaper than WoW yearly, assuming an average of 2.5 years per expansion for WoW.

I'd take an expansion every 6 months, it would still be cheaper than WoW. ^^

Yea. WoW kinda sucks, Mif.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    To Rift I will give credit where it's due. Trion do put a lot of effort into upkeep and new content, and don't take their subscribers for granted like a lot of other companies do.
    I also second what Mif said. Rift seems like a game that actually deserves a subscription with the rate of the content they push out.

Deleted
    then if you look at the cost of an extra account, you will get 5 more char slots, effectively infinite storage (from anywhere ingame) via mailing to yourself. If you have 2 computers you should have an easier time organising items to sell also. There are disadvantages too of course, achievements not being shared if you play a character on that account for example. but in terms of pure storage vs cost it seems much more effective.

No. You can't mail to yourself or your alts.

Anet want you to buy 'dem slots.

then if you look at the cost of an extra account
    Unless you can't mail to the same IP...

Have to mail items to someone who then mails it back to you. This is what me & fam did during BWE1.

Course gets dicey if the person you sent your awesome blouse to decides to keep it. Whereas I can see if my sister is stealing. >.>

Having to go to a bank to give my alts weapons and other junk was kinda annoying. Would love a trade to self feature since you can't mail it.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

Deleted

even with 2 accounts?

---------- Post added 2012-05-16 at 02:10 AM ----------

How then would you trade with housemates or family?

10+ Year Old Account
    Have to mail items to someone who then mails it back to you.
    Or just stick the items into the freaking bank. Since it happens to be an account-wide bank, and there's waypoints allowing you quick access to your major city of choice, it's really not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    even with 2 accounts?
    Not sure. I only have one. And yes, I know you intimated having 2 accounts/PCs originally. I just could not speak to that possibility for certain.

Mail to self? Nah, bro.

How then would you trade with housemates or family?
    I just mailed my sis some items and then she mailed them back to me. Seemed to work fine.

Deleted
    Or just stick the items into the freaking bank. Since it happens to be an account-wide bank, and there's waypoints allowing you quick access to your major city of choice, it's really not a problem.
    not a problem until it gets full, then you are playing the not fun game of constantly juggling items, logging in and out over and over. This isnt really much fun for anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    not a problem until it gets full
    Not likely to be a big issue thanks to the collectibles tab.