Thread: [Music] Metal

Deleted
    New DSO song streaming: http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featu...swirling-murk/

---------- Post added 2012-05-22 at 09:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Delevicton View Post
    I know I'll get a LOT of hate for this, but I make original metal-dubstep music. It's for fans of both Opeth and Skrillex(do these people exist aside from myself and my circle of rl friends?). Give it a shot. You'll all probably fucking hate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2C15...=plpp_play_all
    I don't really hear what makes this a metal/dubstep mashup. Is it the guitar melody that is supposed to adds the "metal" touch? I don't get it. I honestly hear more metal in the song below than in this fusion.

Btw, I'm in noway saying that the song is bad, it's actually pretty good.
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2012-05-22 at 07:36 PM.

This shit right here....

Conversation sampling and some excellent Post-Metal tossed in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    The new Ahab album(the gaint) got leaked, I think i'm going to need a new pair of pants.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2012-05-23 at 12:10 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rederoin View Post
    The new Ahab album(the gaint) got leaked, I think i'm going to need a new pair of pants.
    Is it really post-metal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    Is it really post-metal?
    No, its funeral doom.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rederoin View Post
    No, its funeral doom.
    Yeah but when the previews came everyone was going apeshit about how they dropped the abrasive/crushing stuff for a more atmospheric, post-metalish approach. Personally, bar a few exceptions, I don1t like funeral doom but I am huge on post-metal so if that is the case I'm definitely gonna give it a go.

After listening to a couple tracks, it's definitely different than their past two releases. It's most definitely most atmospheric with a less depressive feel to it, it does seem like they're kind of moving towards post-metal. Also a much greater use of clean vocals it seems, so that also gives it that feel.

But listen to it for yourself if you haven't

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    New DSO song streaming: http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featu...swirling-murk/

---------- Post added 2012-05-22 at 09:34 PM ----------

I don't really hear what makes this a metal/dubstep mashup. Is it the guitar melody that is supposed to adds the "metal" touch? I don't get it. I honestly hear more metal in the song below than in this fusion.

Btw, I'm in noway saying that the song is bad, it's actually pretty good.
    Ah, well thank you for the compliment at least.

I think it's quite obvious that there's metal mixed with dubstep. For instance; the intro to "2012" was heavily inspired by Nevermore and Children Of Bodom. There's even sort of an 80's-style bridge in the middle of the track.

If you listen to "Machine Beast", it has a death metal intro complete with a short burst of blast beats. The outro to that song is also extremely oldschool death/black metal.

Not really sure why you're struggling to hear the metal in my metal-dubstep music. Check out "Drunk As Fuck', for instance, and explain to me how that doesn't have metal in it.

I went out of my way to make damn sure these tracks were "metal enough" for metal fans, while still being dance-able and have a broader appeal to the electronic dance music crowd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delevicton View Post
    I actually didn't put any metal song in I play all the guitar and wrote everything. That is NOT a remix. It's an original song I wrote specifically for the genre. Thank you for the feedback, however. I'm always looking to improve my production technique.
    Pretty well done, though not exactly my thing. I feel I prefer Waltari or The Berzerker to this.

Please find a different snare sound though, that just doesn't fit the music at all, particularly not when you're approaching a polka/blast beat with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Pretty well done, though not exactly my thing. I feel I prefer Waltari or The Berzerker to this.

Please find a different snare sound though, that just doesn't fit the music at all, particularly not when you're approaching a polka/blast beat with it.
    Appreciate the feedback. Which snare are you referring to? I generally use two; one semi-legit sounding snare drum that I use in attempt to mimic an actual metal snare, and the other is just a typical dubstep snare with a lot of punch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been a couple days since I listened now. It's probably the typical dubstep snare then. It was tuned too high and put too far forward into the mix to work well for the faster parts. Not sure which of the two it was.

Typically, the faster a snare goes, the less intrusive it has to be as it has a tendency to get extremely dominant. A lot of programmed drums suffer from this on drum rolls, paradiddles or blast beats.

---------- Post added 2012-05-24 at 10:58 AM ----------

I sort of just re-discovered this album again and forgot how awesome it is

10+ Year Old Account

In Flames... one of my favorite bands, while not as good as it once was, in MY opinion, but still enjoyable...

Anyway, some epic old In Flames ^^

Deleted

Not sure if there's any more available from Eremita yet, but so far so good!

Deleted

Progressive/Metalcore from France.

They build a lot on soft/harsh dynamics, and their songs are basically split between quiet, soft, atmospheric parts with a melancholic vibe and techy metalcore-ish grinding with some other elements thrown in.
    There is not that much metalcore in there when we look at the entire package so should be actually quite consumable by people who don't like metalcore, I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some more doom

Also a song from what I found to be the best album this year so far, it probably won't be topped

Last edited by hellhamster; 2012-05-29 at 10:03 AM.

Deleted
    Hmm, thanks for reminding me, I wanted to listen to that album. Ne Obliviscaris' latest that is.

Anyways, I am looking for some bands who play a lighter type of post-metal (or a heavier type of post-rock), with sort of ethereal, "sweet" melodies, best example I can say right now would be Pelican. And yes, on that I mean stuff like most of Neurosis' materials won't do as it tends to be pretty abrasive.

Any takers?