Thread: Why Sargeras?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Why Sargeras?

alot of times when people talk about expansions they always say the final expansion will be sargeras. why? i get that hes one of the biggest enemies in the universe and im not saying his fight wouldnt be one of the most epic things in lore but why do so many people think he would be the final one? also why do people think that blizz would just quit making expacs after sargeras, i mean as you can see with cata and mists they keep slowly adding in new plot points so that we wouldnt be able to hit a dead end like that when it comes to enemies. everquest had around 500k subs in its prime and its still around and its still making money and its still getting expansions, now think wow had almost 13 mil subs at its peak. wow will be here practically forever so why would they stop at sargeras. also from what we know so far sargeras was the strongest titan but he couldnt take them all on at once and even though some people still think so im pretty sure the titans arent good guys im willing to bet that if and when the titans come back to azeroth or we find them or whatever they'll take one look at us and decide we need "order" or to be "remade out of chaos" and try to kill us all. and theirs old gods in space maybe even a super old god thing thats making all the old gods. so right there is 2 main enemies that are probably stronger then sargeras not to mention however many years it takes to get to a burning legion expac where we actually defeat him giving blizz plenty of time to add in even more big bads and plot points.

so my question is do you think sargeras is going to be the "final" boss of wow and if you do why do you think that. also do you literally mean final or just final for you like how for alot of people wow ended for them when arthas died and everything else since has just been extra. just wondering because for me it never really made sense i always figured the titans all together were the strongest in wow then the old gods and then maybe whatever made the titans would be stronger then everyone.

isnt final boss Thrall's baby?
    well, it will take him years to grow up

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's been alluded to.

Velen's prophecy and vision of the Naaru's great army of light clashing with the great darkness in a final confrontation all points to the culmination of the fight against the Burning Legion (which Sargeras is lord and master of) during the end of days, with Azeroth as the staging grounds.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

You really can't get much more badass than one of the creating forces of the universe. If you go any bigger than that it just gets silly.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Deleted
    Pretty sure he is the reason for everything bad that's ever happened on Azeroth, maybe not under his direct influence but all bad things seem to trace back to him, aside from the Old Gods but he (along with the other titans) beat them up pretty badly so it's safe to say he's more powerful.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    The people who claims that WoW ended with Arthas are idiots. It didn't start with him, and it sure as heck didn't end with him.

On topic, Sargeras is the most likely candidate as he is the true villain, where as the Old Gods are more like a bunch of yuck. They haven't got a leader, so it's hard to say "THAT GUY!" compared to Sargeras.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by prado View Post
    isnt final boss Thrall's baby?
    well, it will take him years to grow up
    nah thralls baby will be the only hope for us when med'an turns evil and decides he should be sole ruler of azeroth :P lol

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 07:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Because it's been alluded to.

Velen's prophecy and vision of the Naaru's great army of light clashing with the great darkness in a final confrontation all points to the culmination of the fight against the Burning Legion (which Sargeras is lord and master of) during the end of days, with Azeroth as the staging grounds.
    i always thought that too but ever since the velen shortstory i think what the naaru are talking about is a much bigger evil then the burning legion

Nope, I'd say they could make more lore so that Sargeras wasn't the last boss.

We might defeat Sargeras with the help of almighty powerful awesome, like the Titans and then justify that we could fight him before other baddies since we had almighty assistance. Maybe we do so and then another Old God shows up to wreck havoc. Or we go to Argus or another world for new adventures. Maybe after a while the Titans are corrupted or decide that they gotta start over with Azeroth and we have to do something about it and prove that reorigination isn't necessary, like with Algalon. Or we only beat Sargeras and the Nathrezim aren't all bested along with some of the Legion and they return later, stronger than ever.

I'm sure there are plenty of ways they could justify a Sargeras fight and then have other "weaker" baddies afterwards or make stronger ones with new lore. If Sargeras is the end, then fine, as long as it's a good end to World of Warcraft, but I can imagine Blizzard making expansion after expansion until we beat all known baddies and then beat several new ones they create.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    The people who claims that WoW ended with Arthas are idiots. It didn't start with him, and it sure as heck didn't end with him.

On topic, Sargeras is the most likely candidate as he is the true villain, where as the Old Gods are more like a bunch of yuck. They haven't got a leader, so it's hard to say "THAT GUY!" compared to Sargeras.
    Sargeras is half-dead, though. And it's very likely that Old Gods are more powerful than Sargeras.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Sargeras is half-dead, though. And it's very likely that Old Gods are more powerful than Sargeras.
    Yup, all true. But Sargeras is much more iconic than the Old Blobs.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

We defeat Sargeras, the titans go "nice, you're finally strong enough to help us with the conflict that's kept us away from our "baby" worlds for so long. Oh yeah, Sargeras was like a bad apple but we couldn't come and kick his ass on our own because we are FAR too tied up fighting xxxx"

and thus we have a high fantasy continuation where we go along with the titans as their allies to fight the BIG dark evil that's lurking out there.

It's a weak example but it's one "plot line" that took about a minute to think up that gives them a way out after the burning legion is put down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    We defeat Sargeras, the titans go "nice, you're finally strong enough to help us with the conflict that's kept us away from our "baby" worlds for so long. Oh yeah, Sargeras was like a bad apple but we couldn't come and kick his ass on our own because we are FAR too tied up fighting xxxx"

and thus we have a high fantasy continuation where we go along with the titans as their allies to fight the BIG dark evil that's lurking out there.

It's a weak example but it's one "plot line" that took about a minute to think up that gives them a way out after the burning legion is put down.
    We don't ever have to beat the demons. We could beat KJ and Sargeras, but there would always be the chance of a new baddie picking up the slack from the demons.

The Titan Pantheon is the clear choice for the game's final expansion. Antagonists don't have to be "evil", that's just the stereotype. While the Titans aren't evil, they're not benevolent beings. They're completely unfeeling creatures who exist solely to create order in the universe. One look at the chaos that has become of their experiments on Azeroth and they'd make a bee line to us to reorder the planet.

Edit: I know the difference between a protagonist and an antagonist, I swear.

10+ Year Old Account
    At the farmers market with my "so called girl-friend"
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    You really can't get much more badass than one of the creating forces of the universe. If you go any bigger than that it just gets silly.
    What if instead of one of them, it was all of them? Seems pretty badass to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Q: What's Black, White and Asian all at the same time?
    A: Pandas. Easing racial tensions since 1999.

Also, there won't be a "last expansion". There's no valid reason for having an end in a MMO universe. Our world doesn't become a happy place after we kill the right guy.

I don't think he will be the final boss, especially if WoW is still profitable for Blizzard by that point in time. They'll simply add new lore, new characters and new scenarios. Not that surprising.

When Sargeras IS finally included in WoW, that inclusion should not be half-assed. Like Venziir said, he is iconic in Warcraft lore, and freaking powerful. A raid of 10 or 25 players shouldn't just be able to waltz into "Sargeras' Lair" and kill him, because that would suck. Some significant preparation and possibly a big, BIG server event should proceed him ever being able to be killed by players.

Me, personally, I think killing the Old Gods should serve a purpose beyond merely having done it for survival in the short-term. The Old Gods were capable of fighting on the Titan's level, so perhaps the Eye of C'thun, Brain of Yogg'Saron, Appendage of N'Zoth and the body parts of other Old Gods could, through a massive server effort, be assembled into the ultimate weapon which is used to severely weaken Sargeras to the point where mortals can feasibly take him on and defeat him. If the Sargeras expansion is to be the last (probably not, but whatever) then Blizzard needs to make challenging him something huge and memorable, something that all players can participate in, raider or not.

How? He is just Malfurion, but with fire and a sword. Only people who go in-depth with lore know him, nearly noone refers to him in-game, just like with Deathwing, and many people just thought he was some random dragon at Cataclysm's announcement. If we're talking iconic then it's Illidan and Arthas, which ofcourse both are dead now.

Personally I find the Old Gods' manipulative nature much more iconic and special than the Demons' ''hurr hurr smash dem all!'', even if the 'Old God made them all insane' scenario is overdone as fuck.

But yeah, people assume and assume, WoW will end whenever Blizzard decides it should, and the end sure isn't in sight at all, the battle against Sargeras is coming closer and closer though. The lore has no effect on the cash that they make, no filthy Red Malfurion is gonna stop them from making money.

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    If we're talking iconic then it's Illidan and Arthas, which ofcourse both are dead now.
    Anyone who knew who Illidan and Arthas, neither of which received any mention in WoW before their expansions, were prior to the release of their expansions also know who Sargeras and Deathwing are.

And Sargeras used to be mentioned in WoW, but Blizzard took out the Battle of Undercity.

Edit: Technically, Arthas had a couple mentions in Naxxramas but he was referred to as the Lich King.
    Last edited by nnelson54; 2012-05-25 at 11:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Frankly I don't want mortals defeating a Titan, but we'll see.
    Besides, even if we do some day kill him, Blizzard can just invent new lore.
    That's sorta how an evolving fantasy world works
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sargeras is the main villain, if it wasn't for him, there would be no Burning legion. So if there ever is a final boss, it will be him, but i can't see WoW stopping after that expansion (unless they lose too many subs so just finish it their when it become non-profitable)