Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Don't be silly, being submerged in water would vastly increase the rate of decomposition, there'd be nothing left of them by the time they got to the other side.
    Telling somebody not to be silly in a zombie thread? If Zombies did decay at the normal rate, they would be unable to function after a few days at most. For the fantasy to work you assume they do not decay at the normal rate.

A sword would not be a good weapon for a zombie apocalypse. Get a crowbar and guns.

Quote Originally Posted by banan163 View Post
    Ppl watch to much anime/games where the protaganist cuts ppl/zombies as if they were paper
    A sharp blade does cut flesh like paper. Especially if you know proper technique.

dead pig warning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3nAuowwqhI#t=1m45s Watch the full ending to see durability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW8nckzt-Bc#t=1m27s
    Last edited by Fading Dimension; 2012-05-30 at 04:32 PM.

Get a Kilij

Warning, video shows the sword verse a dead pig.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikVMXhcjbYc

Deleted
    You need a bludgeoning weapon, not a cutting one. It's easy to smash something, but cutting properly takes training and expertise. You can't just start swining away and expect to do good. A sword also needs to be maintained and cared for, it will not take the wild swooshing and cutting of limbs without wear and tear.
    So get a blunt weapon, like the readily available lead pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Caninese View Post
    A machete. Not only is an authentic katana somewhat difficult to find, they are expensive. A machete can hack and slash with ease, whereas a katana takes more dexterity to use properly.
    Machete are optimal. They are more of a "work horse" kinda long blade. Hack some vines, hack some wood, split a coconut, split a skull, lob off a limb.....
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Fading Dimension View Post
    A sharp blade does cut flesh like paper. Especially if you know proper technique.

dead pig warning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3nAuowwqhI#t=1m45s Watch the full ending to see durability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW8nckzt-Bc#t=1m27s

But then how many can do it? Such techniques requires training

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by banan163 View Post
    But then how many can do it? Such techniques requires training
    And they would dull very quickly, leaving you in a world of hurt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    Guns run out of bullets.
    And katana can easily break when striking bone. Anyone with any semblance of expertise on katana knows this.

You'd be pretty safe with Ryujin Jakka :3

In all serious though, I don't think a sword is your best bet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    You need a bludgeoning weapon, not a cutting one. It's easy to smash something, but cutting properly takes training and expertise. You can't just start swining away and expect to do good. A sword also needs to be maintained and cared for, it will not take the wild swooshing and cutting of limbs without wear and tear.
    So get a blunt weapon, like the readily available lead pipe.
    You need to get both, actually. The machete/crowbar combo is probably the best one to use as weapons and tools in various situations (such as removing planks from a door, slashing through vines in forested areas). You also need a small-sized firearm for OH-SHIT scenarios (aka running into a large wild animal). Be aware, though, that guns need to be reloaded and they make a lot of noise (which can attract zombies).

OT: In the end, it probably comes down to Crowbar > Machete > Baseball bat > Pistol > Rifle > Katana (considering you're lacking the skills to wield it) > shotgun (which is just plain aweful).

Theorycrafting level: Zombie Apocalypse!

---------- Post added 2012-05-30 at 01:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Tbh, swords are mainly bullshit. The blade will dull eventually, require sharpening, and can break. Also can get stuck into its target and whatnot.

They also take quite a lot of skill to utilise effectively, and swinging it in an arc if your surrounded won't do shit, as they simply do not have the weight to carry through.

Your best bet is either a machete (heavy enough to slice through flesh, but small enough to be able to use effectively, and the weight means it won't get stuck too often or need *as* much sharpening), or your best bet, a dirty great big mallet. Won't get stuck, won't need sharpening, can swing it in an arc crushing bones and skulls with relative ease.

Honestly though? Crossbow, or bow. They don't make noise and are easy(ish) to train and use, and the ammo is relatively re-usable. Guns are loud, noisy and unless you have some training, are an absolute pita to use and aim, especially pistols.

Honestly though, if your dead set on a katana, I will just smile whenI see the inevitable half eaten wannabe ninja zombie as I am smushing things with my lump hammer :P
    A swing of that hammer of yours leaves you open for an armpit bite! And it's also a pain to carry if you have to run.
    Last edited by Furye; 2012-05-30 at 05:09 PM.
    >>Because having a signature is so mainstream.<<

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't rely on a katana. Swords will wear down after repeated uses, and unless you are knowledgable in their maintenance and upkeep, it'll rust or break when used over long periods of time (like escaping to a safe zone during a zombie apocalypse). If you need a melee weapon, get something with mundane utility like a crowbar or an entrenching tool, but make sure it comes from a military surplus store if you've got one in the area. Failing all that, your best weapon for surviving a zombie apocalypse will be speed, agility, cardio, and climbing. You won't need to kill any zombies if they can't grab onto you. Keep a knife on hand if you do get grabbed, better safe than sorry.

Otherwise, go for a gun that's light, easy to carry long distances, has a large clip/magazine, and has plentiful ammo. Silencers are important but not a dead requirement (no pun intended), because again, your goal in a zombie apocalypse is survival, not imitating the cast of Left 4 Dead.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

http://www.handmadesword.com/

You are looking for full tang. that is the sword descends through the handle and not half way or less. This is important otherwise you stand a good chance that it will break the first time you serious hit something with it.

The metal in a modern sword is probably some form of stamped stainless steal with simulated grain and has no similarity to the metal in a real katana.
    you are buying something that looks like a katana but isn't and wont function the same no mater how sharp you make it.
    This is due to the sword forging process. Real ones are custom foraged to the users body and the metallurgy in the forging is what give the enhanced cutting performance. The final quenching step is what gives the blade its curve and micro patterns in the blade edge.

As for Real Katanas... I'm assuming it's out of your price range and the waiting list is years long.

In the event of a zombi attack, i expect some katana owners would be gung ho, hey I've got a bad ass katana and charge in going chop chop...
    the look of horror on there face when there cheep knock off breaks is priceless. welcome to the herd.

I would personally use a combat machete or a tomahawk for hand to hand http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/UC2...l-Nylon-Sheath

A Katana is an absurd choice for zombie apocalypse. Sure, it will cut real nice on soft targets.. for a short time. The blade will dull quickly, and you certainly can't fix that. What else can it do for you though? Nothing.

Get a nice, durable saw machete (you can find decent ones for under $50). It has UTILITY as well as protection, and will last much much longer. I would never choose a katana for the zombie invasion over a much more useful weapon. Hell I'd take a crowbar over a katana, or a large wrench.

Blunt weapons are much better and easier to use for someone who's not trained.

You want a high-body blade. When katana's are made, at least back in the day, after their completion they were used on a stack of pig corpses. Just one strike. The number of pig bodies it could cut through was its rating. So a 5 body blade cut through 5 bodies in a single strike.

A katana is preferable over other blades for its curvature. That curvature gives a more powerful slicing motion when you strike but you need to use the proper technique. Basically you strike down and when you connect you need to either push the blade forward or pull it back. The more comfortable you get with those to things, the more you can do it as a single fluid motion.

Make sure it is a folded steel blade, not some 20$ special off eBay.

You will be taking zombie heads like candy from a baby.

---------- Post added 2012-05-30 at 06:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Celerocity View Post
    A Katana is an absurd choice for zombie apocalypse. Sure, it will cut real nice on soft targets.. for a short time. The blade will dull quickly, and you certainly can't fix that. What else can it do for you though? Nothing.

Get a nice, durable saw machete (you can find decent ones for under $50). It has UTILITY as well as protection, and will last much much longer. I would never choose a katana for the zombie invasion over a much more useful weapon. Hell I'd take a crowbar over a katana, or a large wrench.
    It is called a whetstone.

And a saw anything would be a terrible choice for a zombie apocalypse unless the zombies are coming at you 1 at a time and don't try to eat your face as you saw them up.

You would have a much easier time killing multiple zombies quicker with a katana.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post

And a saw anything would be a terrible choice for a zombie apocalypse unless the zombies are coming at you 1 at a time and don't try to eat your face as you saw them up.

You would have a much easier time killing multiple zombies quicker with a katana.
    You misread. Zombie. Apocalypse. Not 'stand still and chop up zombies that are coming at you in a straight line conveniently game'.

A saw machete will last longer than a katana for the chopping part, and the saw aspect is for UTILITY. How are you going to cut wood, or open damaged areas with a katana? This is about survival, not killing zombies alone.

And a whetstone is only useful if you know how to use it properly, and have other materials to use it properly.

The one Michonne uses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    You want a high-body blade. When katana's are made, at least back in the day, after their completion they were used on a stack of pig corpses. Just one strike. The number of pig bodies it could cut through was its rating. So a 5 body blade cut through 5 bodies in a single strike.

A katana is preferable over other blades for its curvature. That curvature gives a more powerful slicing motion when you strike but you need to use the proper technique. Basically you strike down and when you connect you need to either push the blade forward or pull it back. The more comfortable you get with those to things, the more you can do it as a single fluid motion.

Make sure it is a folded steel blade, not some 20$ special off eBay.

You will be taking zombie heads like candy from a baby.

---------- Post added 2012-05-30 at 06:15 PM ----------

Any idea how long it takes to sharpen a Katana with a whetstone? Not to mention the chance of screwing up the blade unless you are an expert at sharpening blades to a razor edge.

---------- Post added 2012-05-30 at 07:28 PM ----------

If you are intent on a sword, get one of these and sharpen it. You can chop down tree's with the thing.

The blade itself is solid, about 1cm thick.

Deleted
    If you want to melee a zombie, you better know a few things.

They will try to bite you. To use a sword you will need to be close to them, so you will give them a chance to bite. Ofc if you don't have any way to escape, having a sword still better than nothing.

They are more powerful than a human. Read this: http://entertainment.howstuffworks.c...e-strength.htm
    It explains how can humans lift a car in extreme situations. We've never seen a real zombie, but they're probably capable of using their muscles at maximum, becasue they don't feel pain, their brains no longer limites them in any ways. However I don't know if zombies have adrenaline. If they don't, you might be saved from 10x muscle power, but still they will be able to use their body more, becasue they don't feel themself tired.

You will be the one who feels fear and not them. You can arm yourself as much as you want. They will keep coming.

I only see one way to be safe between them. You need no weapon, but armor that protects you from their bites. Suits made to use on a motorbike are great. You can take much harder hits with that. A full suit can protect most of your body. Add neck protector plates and some kind of gloves that cannot be bitten through. Dog training gloves maybe. And make sure your helmets cannot be removed easily. If you have enough money you may buy kevlar bulletproof armor too.

I'm also thinking about buying a sword becasue I like them. Fantasy and anime did this to me But I never though about using them in a zombie attack XD