Page 68 of 105 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Going to agree with Glytch here, pretty sure every human in GW lore has the ability to use magic. Gift from the gods and whatnot. Bloodstones and all that jazz. Even GW1 warriors could have a secondary profession of any other profession, meaning they would have the ability to use magic to. I'm simply chalking GW2 warriors as either 1) choosing not to use magic or 2) using magic subtly to strengthen their blows/defense/speed (charges and junk)

10+ Year Old Account
    What are shouts and signets if not magic? :3
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Going to agree with Glytch here, pretty sure every human in GW lore has the ability to use magic. Gift from the gods and whatnot. Bloodstones and all that jazz. Even GW1 warriors could have a secondary profession of any other profession, meaning they would have the ability to use magic to. I'm simply chalking GW2 warriors as either 1) choosing not to use magic or 2) using magic subtly to strengthen their blows/defense/speed (charges and junk)
    *looks at adrenaline war hammer strike* Yeah... i'm gonna say they use a bit of magic here and there... And Abbadon gave magic to EVERYONE, so everyone andthing can use magic, just look at dryders, some of the dinosaurs, the monkeys, etc they are all capable of using magic (and some use it pretty well i might add).

And i'm pretty sure everyone DOES use it to some extent, like there's a few moves in GW and GW2 where you should and something happens, now idk about you but if someone yells, "FEAR ME!" i'm not going to run away in total fear of that person under normal circumstances lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I've never considered Shouts as magic. They're shouts, to encourage you and your allies to do things or demoralize enemies. >.>
    I suppose signets could count, though.

---------- Post added 2012-06-04 at 11:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    *looks at adrenaline war hammer strike* Yeah... i'm gonna say they use a bit of magic here and there... And Abbadon gave magic to EVERYONE, so everyone andthing can use magic, just look at dryders, some of the dinosaurs, the monkeys, etc they are all capable of using magic (and some use it pretty well i might add).

And i'm pretty sure everyone DOES use it to some extent, like there's a few moves in GW and GW2 where you should and something happens, now idk about you but if someone yells, "FEAR ME!" i'm not going to run away in total fear of that person under normal circumstances lol.
    I didn't say "ONLY humans can use magic", I'm saying "humans can use magic" because the discussion was about "how do humans shadowstep".

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never considered Shouts as magic. They're shouts, to encourage you and your allies to do things or demoralize enemies. >.>
    How do you know that isn't done magically? :3

Durz makes a good point about the "Fear me!" shout.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

How do you know that isn't done magically? :3

Durz makes a good point about the "Fear me!" shout.
    "I've never considered" not "They aren't."
    I do not see shouts as a magical effect in the GW universe, personally.

10+ Year Old Account

---------- Post added 2012-06-04 at 11:36 AM ----------

I didn't say "ONLY humans can use magic", I'm saying "humans can use magic" because the discussion was about "how do humans shadowstep".
    i know i was just making it clear that it wasn't just humans who could use it and that it WAS given to everyone.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

i know i was just making it clear that it wasn't just humans who could use it and that it WAS given to everyone.
    Don't you go making my posts clear, damnit.

10+ Year Old Account
    If "I Will Avenge You!" isn't magic, I don't know what's magic anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    If "I Will Avenge You!" isn't magic, I don't know what's magic anymore.
    I was thinking the "You shall not pass!" Shout from GW1 lol, knocks down everyone near (or maybe it's adjacent) to you and the CD is less for each person you hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's it. I'm heading down to the hospital to shout "I Will Avenge You!" at cancer patients.

10+ Year Old Account
    signets are rings you wear with the magic stored inside

that's why all signets in GW1 were free of an energy cost

shouts are jsut motivational

the only voice related skill type id consider magical would be chants and maybe some echos (paragon)

and no its not b/c chants are mesmer interruptable, that's merely a balance issue
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    signets are rings you wear with the magic stored inside

that's why all signets in GW1 were free of an energy cost

shouts are jsut motivational

the only voice related skill type id consider magical would be chants and maybe some echos (paragon)

and no its not b/c chants are mesmer interruptable, that's merely a balance issue
    It doesn't matter how much i yell at my dog, but he will not teleport to my side like in GW1, so i'm pretty sure saying shouts aren't spells is total BS

---------- Post added 2012-06-04 at 01:32 PM ----------

That's it. I'm heading down to the hospital to shout "I Will Avenge You!" at cancer patients.
    Remember they have to be in the downed (or defeated) state and then you gotta kill someone to make it permanent!

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter how much i yell at my dog, but he will not teleport to my side like in GW1, so i'm pretty sure saying shouts aren't spells is total BS
    then why doesnt it trigger backfire? or stop from shame?

why does roaring winds counter shouts? if they were magical they'd take effect even if you couldnt hear them

also: strike as one was not originally a shadow step your pet move, it was a increse your damage move. the only thing sacred to a GW1 skill was the name, anything else of the skill was up for grabs. they couldnt make all the ranger moves "skills" b/c then there would be no counter to them, having them as shout allows things like vocal minority and ulcerous lungs to stop or punish shout use
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-06-04 at 06:37 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember they have to be in the downed (or defeated) state and then you gotta kill someone to make it permanent!
    If they're not in such a state (what, hospital bed != downed somehow?!), it will at least apply regeneration!

why does roaring winds counter shouts? if they were magical they'd take effect even if you couldnt hear them
    How do you know the magic isn't in the sound? Think: bard

10+ Year Old Account
    If they're not in such a state (what, hospital bed != downed somehow?!), it will at least apply regeneration!
    the original IWAY was a self buff

you avenge the DEATHS of the fallen, in a game where death was supposed to be common and just a part of the game

the GW2 skills are just nods to the GW1 skills, they arent lore accurate
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    I hear the words "FUCKING MAGICS, HOW DO THEY WORK?" in the back of my head after reading this page.

10+ Year Old Account
    then why doesnt it trigger backfire? or stop from shame?

also: strike as one was not originally a shadow step your pet move, it was a increse your damage move. the only thing sacred to a GW1 skill was the name, anything else of the skill was up for grabs. they couldnt make all the ranger moves "skills" b/c then there would be no counter to them, having them as shout allows things like vocal minority and ulcerous lungs to stop or punish shout use
    Yelling at my dog to make him run 33% faster doesn't work either... nor does it make him tougher/more resilient to damage...

And find me one person out there where by you yelling at them/singing to them causes their wounds to heal? As far as i'm concerned that's magic, magic, and magic!! Shouts = same magic a bard uses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yelling at my dog to make him run 33% faster doesn't work either... nor does it make him tougher/more resilient to damage...
    then you need to train him more

shouts arent magic

period

i am the loremaster and i have spoken

---------- Post added 2012-06-04 at 05:31 PM ----------

And find me one person out there where by you yelling at them/singing to them causes their wounds to heal? As far as i'm concerned that's magic, magic, and magic!! Shouts = same magic a bard uses.
    no "shouts" heal, thats all from chants, which are songs and from echos
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    I really do like it when devs give cohesive logic towards magic and super natural stuff in their game. Hell, even diablo 3 barbs have an explanation for why they can do super human feats. It's poor story telling when they just go "lol they can jump through wallz becuz we seyd so"