Deleted

Questions about hard drive - SSD and HDD?

I am no expert when it comes to hard drives, really. First question is, is there any difference between a 60GB SSD and a 120GB SSD, except the size of it? Secondly, if I'd have a 1TB HHD and a 60GB SSD, would the SSD automatically be used instead of the HDD for booting up, etc? If so, does the speed of the HDD matter if I'm having a SSD at the same time?

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference on SSD's are usually the brand, reliability, read/write speeds & warranties.

The speed on a HDD does matter, since you will be launching big sized programs on it (ie. I had a 1TB full of Steam games on my harddrive), the best is usually to go for a 7200RPM harddrive & a Crucial M4 SSD at this time.

When you install Windows 7, you can choose to install it on either the HDD or the SSD, you should also set the boot order to have the SSD as first, in the BIOS setup.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    The difference on SSD's are usually the brand, reliability, read/write speeds & warranties.

The speed on a HDD does matter, since you will be launching big sized programs on it (ie. I had a 1TB full of Steam games on my harddrive), the best is usually to go for a 7200RPM harddrive & a Crucial M4 SSD at this time.

When you install Windows 7, you can choose to install it on either the HDD or the SSD, you should also set the boot order to have the SSD as first, in the BIOS setup.
    To add to this: you decide where you want to install programs. You pick and choose where to install the programs to and that determines the speed at which they boot(the SSD is faster obviously).

I definitely do not recommend a 60GB SSD.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't go any smaller than 128gb SSD these days. Also, if you're crunched for cash, skip the SSD. They make load times faster and boot times faster, which is nice, however they wont make a difference in actual game performance once the game is loaded.

Deleted
    Ah thanks guys, that made it all so much clearer up in my head. Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I wouldn't go any smaller than 128gb SSD these days. Also, if you're crunched for cash, skip the SSD. They make load times faster and boot times faster, which is nice, however they wont make a difference in actual game performance once the game is loaded.
    I think I'll actually skip it for now, I'm pretty sure I could live with a HDD. I could also buy a SSD some time in the future. Would I have to re-install the programs I want on the SDD then, though? Or could I just cut+paste? I'm guessing it'd be slightly more complicated with the OS though...
    Last edited by mmoc98bf9b445e; 2012-06-05 at 07:14 PM.

Deleted
    Like another poster said, It's worth having an SSD for the OS and most used software and then pile all the rest on to like a 1TB 7200RPM HDD. I recommend a Crucial M4 - V.Stable, quick too! and IMHO don't get less than a 128GB SSD.

Good luck!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Ah thanks guys, that made it all so much clearer up in my head. Much appreciated!

I think I'll actually skip it for now, I'm pretty sure I could live with a HDD. I could also buy a SSD some time in the future. Would I have to re-install the programs I want on the SDD then, though? Or could I just cut+paste? I'm guessing it'd be slightly more complicated with the OS though...
    You would probably be best doing a fresh install. You can technically copy the w7 over but it can get confusing.

Once the OS was installed, it would be as simple as copying and pasting though.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you buy a SSD KIT they usually come with a DVD & are able to transfer your OS & programs from the harddrive to the SSD. They usually don't cost more than an additional $5-15
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory