10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    I would like to correct a misconception that has been littering this thread, with regard to Korra's attitude. It has less to do with defensive/offensive and more to do with her being a genuine water-tribe-born bender. Her style is insymbatico with the core of waterbending.. which is raw emotion. Whe she fights, she doesn't just do stances and cast out elements.. she vents, she rages, she becomes a purely emotional fighter. It makes immensely powerful, but also leaves her too open for counter-attacks and "come at you sideways" assaults.
    Hmmmm I'm not inclined to agree that the atypical waterbender is one that easily allows their emotion to dictate their behavior in battke, in fact to the contrary, I would say water benders as whole, tend to be more in control of their emotions during battle, similar to air benders. Since their whole fighting style focuses on defense, utility, counter-attacking, and gradual build-up. A fighting style that favors a steady mind. Although admittedly, I do agree that "raw emotion" is a key aspect in waterbending, and it is through a water-benders ability to control and harness their emotion with clarity, is what makes for a fundamental waterbender. This is evident in water benders such as Katara, Pakku, and Hamma, who tend to be less volitile than your average master bender.

As noted earlier, Korra tends have more unrestrained-emotional and aggressive traits in combat, traits that more forgiving in Fire & Earth Benders, and less so than Water & Air Benders. And this is perhaps the main reason as to why Korra is having such difficulties with Air bending, and perhaps why she so rarely uses water bending as much as she uses her other two known bending elements, despite herself being a member of the Water Tribe.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2012-06-07 at 05:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    At this rate Korra's going to have a heck of a difficult time pulling off lightning since her emotions rule her. The only people I've seen who can pull lightning off are people who are extremely disciplined and calm (or cold-hearted) e.g. Iroh, Azula, etc.
    Mako seems to have no trouble with lightning though :P

Hmm I wonder if Aang learned lightning at some point? I see no reason why he wouldn't be able to do it being an avatar naturally affiliated with air and water bending, all about inner peace/calmness and flow.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-06-07 at 04:53 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    As noted earlier, Korra tends have more unrestrained-emotional and aggressive traits in combat, traits that more forgiving in Fire & Earth Benders, less so than Water & Air Benders. And this is perhaps the main reason as to why Korra is having such difficulties with Air bending, and perhaps why she so rarely uses water bending as much as she uses her other two known bending elements, despite herself being a member of the Water Tribe.
    I don't understand, when in TLAB did we see examples of great earth bending occur due to unrestrained emotion? She rarely uses waterbending cause there's rarely any water around her when it's needed.

As for the "Fire should be the most difficult cause she's a water bender". I still think that's a bunch of crap at this point. They never elaborated on how exactly one makes the other much more difficult to learn (all roku said was water was difficult because it was the opposite element, hardly reasonable) besides Earth and Air and that had more to do with mentality and personality which is how they now explain it in Korra.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    She rarely uses waterbending cause there's rarely any water around her when it's needed.
    Actually you'd be surprised in TLAB the sheer number of occasions where waterbenders have literally pulled water out of their ass. Probably the most prominent example is in Into The Inferno (book 3) where the White Lotus is taking back Ba Sing Se, we're clearly shown the entire area is nothing but a flat patch of earth, and then Master Paku pulls a huge wave of water out of fucking nowhere and brings it over the walls o_O

edit: here we go, this is just another stupid AMV but skip to 1:17

Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-06-07 at 05:32 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Actually you'd be surprised in TLAB the sheer number of occasions where waterbenders have literally pulled water out of their ass. Probably the most prominent example is in Into The Inferno (book 3) where the White Lotus is taking back Ba Sing Se, we're clearly shown the entire area is nothing but a flat patch of earth, and then Master Paku pulls a huge wave of water out of fucking nowhere and brings it over the walls o_O

edit: here we go, this is just another stupid AMV but skip to 1:17

Exactly my point, it doesn't make sense and that's why you rarely see it in Korra.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    I don't understand, when in TLAB did we see examples of great earth bending occur due to unrestrained emotion? She rarely uses waterbending cause there's rarely any water around her when it's needed.
    I never said unrestrained emotion lead to greater bending, only that Fire & Earth benders can afford to be more reckless with their emotions in combat since it's more forgiving of them to do so since their fighting styles rely on them overpowering their opponents, something unrestrained emotion can help with, albeit at the cost of being reckless and unfocused.

A good bender is able to control and harness their emotions (namely Water and Fire benders who's elements are more influenced by emotion) while in combat, regardless of their element. Some elements however are just able to get away with "more" however.

---------- Post added 2012-06-07 at 02:28 AM ----------

Blah I'm probably not making much sense due to my sleepiness, time for nighty-night time for me.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2012-06-07 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    First of all we've seen that you can extract water out of tree's,plants anything really. Also, you can't see behind that wall. Maybe they brought huge barrels of water... you don't know.
    Playing since 2007.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just recently caught up with the series after being behind.

So far the one thing I have decided from the episodes lately is I am really starting to side with the opposition. I haven't seen Amon do anything purely wicked so far, yet I have seen benders do it left and right. Abuse power here abuse power there...

It's almost as if the creators want you to think the world might just be better off without bending.

Other then that I am very excited to see where the arc is going to end up, and I am waiting with baited breath to see Korra first meet Aang, first go into the Spirit World, and first use the Avatar State.

---------- Post added 2012-06-07 at 10:24 AM ----------

As for the "Fire should be the most difficult cause she's a water bender". I still think that's a bunch of crap at this point. They never elaborated on how exactly one makes the other much more difficult to learn (all roku said was water was difficult because it was the opposite element, hardly reasonable) besides Earth and Air and that had more to do with mentality and personality which is how they now explain it in Korra.
    I'm thinking it could be because when you touch fire to earth, all it can do is slightly scorch it, and that can easily fade away. When air touches water all it does is move it around a bit. They are opposites in how they can't do anything to the other.

When on the other hand fire can evaporate water, and water can quench fire. Earth can trap air, and air can erode earth. It might be a stretch but it makes sense to me. The ones that are hardest to learn are the ones your base element is the least impervious towards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Just recently caught up with the series after being behind.

So far the one thing I have decided from the episodes lately is I am really starting to side with the opposition. I haven't seen Amon do anything purely wicked so far, yet I have seen benders do it left and right. Abuse power here abuse power there...

Ehhh, i'd consider taking the wolfbats bending was kind of malicious. Sure they cheated in a professional sport but I don't think the crime was worth the punishment. The crime bosses I can understand

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azalu View Post
    Ehhh, i'd consider taking the wolfbats bending was kind of malicious. Sure they cheated in a professional sport but I don't think the crime was worth the punishment. The crime bosses I can understand
    I agree with this. He really hasn't done anything horrible yet. He's really just using scare tactics... Letting Korra go after she rescues Bolin, so his word would be spread, demonstrating his power to the public by removing the Wolfbat's bending... just publicity stuff essentially (although I still felt bad for the Wolfbats for having their bending taken, despite them being jerks).

I don't seem to remember too much where the benders are abusing their power. Maybe Tarrlok but aside from that I don't really see it (less the crime lords).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    I agree with this. He really hasn't done anything horrible yet. He's really just using scare tactics... Letting Korra go after she rescues Bolin, so his word would be spread, demonstrating his power to the public by removing the Wolfbat's bending... just publicity stuff essentially (although I still felt bad for the Wolfbats for having their bending taken, despite them being jerks).

I don't seem to remember too much where the benders are abusing their power. Maybe Tarrlok but aside from that I don't really see it (less the crime lords).
    Tarrlok seems to be the main villain of this series. I didn't trust him from the get-go and now he's just gone off the deep end. I'm not sure how he's going to talk his way out of this though.

The council chamber is ruined and Korra is missing. He's either gonna try and blag that he doesn't know what happened or that he arrested her. How in the hell he's gonna convince Tenzin how he beat Korra in a fight is what puts me off that idea

Tarrlok seems to be the main villain of this series. I didn't trust him from the get-go and now he's just gone off the deep end. I'm not sure how he's going to talk his way out of this though.

The council chamber is ruined and Korra is missing. He's either gonna try and blag that he doesn't know what happened or that he arrested her. How in the hell he's gonna convince Tenzin how he beat Korra in a fight is what puts me off that idea
    Have you watched the promo for episode 9? It explains it. I think it's in page 38 or 39.
    Playing since 2007.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    Have you watched the promo for episode 9? It explains it. I think it's in page 38 or 39.
    Nope because I don't like to watch promo's. I don't wanna ruin it for myself

Nope because I don't like to watch promo's. I don't wanna ruin it for myself
    Well the promo answers your question.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep.. answers the question and makes me wanna punch Tarlok in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    Yep.. answers the question and makes me wanna punch Tarlok in the face.
    He's a bad man.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Well the promo answers your question.
    Good, then i'll look forward to the episode.

Btw there's loads of great images and gifs on knowyourmeme about Avatar

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...05/948/c15.gif

Can't stop laughing at that one

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you know, now that I think about it, didn't Amon try to kill them by blowing up the arena in the pro-bending building?
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Well you know, now that I think about it, didn't Amon try to kill them by blowing up the arena in the pro-bending building?
    Kill who exactly? If you mean the civilians, then no. If you mean Team Avatar, then maybe, but ultimately I think he just blew it up, because he felt it was corrupt and made non-benders idolize benders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    Kill who exactly? If you mean the civilians, then no. If you mean Team Avatar, then maybe, but ultimately I think he just blew it up, because he felt it was corrupt and made non-benders idolize benders.
    Meaning Team Avatar, I think I they were tied on the base of the arena.
    Hey everyone