Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Deleted
    I remember some time ago in law school, a case from US supreme court, which stated that not every expression is a freedom of speech issue. Such would be noise for example. Don't know about profanities though.

This is simply a freedom of speech issue, no matter how you slice it. You may not agree with profanity usage, but it's still just words covered under free speech. Now if there are teens who are causing such a disturbance....guess what?!? There is already a law in place to take care of that, there is no need for this garbage law. Just prudes trying to have complete control and ruin every one's good time. I hope anyone and everyone who gets fined for this, challenges it.
    Aku, Soku, Zan

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Then pack your fucking shit and move to china commie. God damn, I cant believe someone actually said this bullshit.
    Yeah, a more stern view about cursing teens must surely be communism. It's page 49 in the communist manifesto I believe, good that you brought it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Meh, there's no way this would ever be upheld in court if someone contested the fine.
    This is what I was thinking.
    Case: Cooler Master HAF X - Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition - PSU: Cooler Master 1000W 80+ Gold - CPU: Intel i7 4930K - GPU: EVGA GTX690 - RAM - G Skill Ripjaw 16gb (4x4) @2133 Cooling - Corsair Hydro H100i - HDD: Western Digital CB 500gb and 1TB - SSD: Intel 128gb

Quote Originally Posted by Yami View Post
    Since when did people get offended by simple words?
    since always

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazookaberit View Post
    Yeah, a more stern view about cursing teens must surely be communism. It's page 49 in the communist manifesto I believe, good that you brought it up.

Communist countries do censor speech. Its sad you didnt know that. People have been arrested and executed in China for less than curse words.

Are you seriously making the argument that there should be laws to make up for your lack of parenting skills?

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in Mass. Oh muffins!

Gotta get that cash any way you can!
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Absolutely pathetic. Most ridiculous story I've seen today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Good thing I live near Middleboro. I'm going to go there, and swear my head off in front of City Hall, then sue the city for infringing upon my freedom of speech.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

This is silly. It's an attempt to stamp out a symptom instead of getting to the root cause: poor upbringing of kids, lack of respect for the wishes and well-being of others, and not caring so much about fitting in as a positive part of their community.

I actually agree with it. It does fall into a disturbing the peace type offence. Provided the stick with people actually disturbing the peace and not people having a casual conversation among themselves.

Enforcement will be a bit to deal with but otherwise I think its a good idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't think it infringes upon freedom of speech. You can still say whatever you want, as long as you aren't blasting it around in public areas. And they're not talking about protesting, it's obviously aimed at teenagers and other disturbers of the peace that cause a ruckus with their loud profanity in common areas. If they don't cause a disturbance they can say whatever they want.

I work in a downtown area, and there are homeless people and crack heads that are always doing this, and everyone who is a normal person gets uncomfortable when one of them is walking down the sidewalk towards you or sitting on the steps of your building screaming obscenities as they go by. Sure, it's kind of funny to watch sometimes, but people don't like it when it happens to them. Or around their children.

So in my opinion, yes, I agree with this law. And I think there should be stiff penalties for those who continuously offend.

This is nothing more than a way for the municipality to make more revenue. If someone is causing a public disturbance, there are already laws on the books to deal with it.

Why the new law, then? Because it's easier/less expensive to write a $20 ticket, which is also less likely to be contested (would you take the day off work to fight the $20?) than it is to arrest someone, charge them, go to court, and collect a several hundred dollar fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Communist countries do censor speech. Its sad you didnt know that. People have been arrested and executed in China for less than curse words.

Are you seriously making the argument that there should be laws to make up for your lack of parenting skills?
    Yes, and so do other countries. Take a look at laws against defamation in most civilized countries for example, clear case for censorship. And most autocrat countries censor their people, not only communist or do you make the case that all censoring nations are communist, and if not why bring up communism at all?

I haven't expressed my view at all, so don't try to pin someone elses opinions on me, I merely thought your train of thought was weird to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Morachnus View Post
    I personally don't think it infringes upon freedom of speech. You can still say whatever you want, as long as you aren't blasting it around in public areas. And they're not talking about protesting, it's obviously aimed at teenagers and other disturbers of the peace that cause a ruckus with their loud profanity in common areas. If they don't cause a disturbance they can say whatever they want.

I work in a downtown area, and there are homeless people and crack heads that are always doing this, and everyone who is a normal person gets uncomfortable when one of them is walking down the sidewalk towards you or sitting on the steps of your building screaming obscenities as they go by. Sure, it's kind of funny to watch sometimes, but people don't like it when it happens to them. Or around their children.

So in my opinion, yes, I agree with this law. And I think there should be stiff penalties for those who continuously offend.
    Why not just scoop up the vulgar rabble with a giant dump truck and then cart them off to "work" in a soylent green factory?

Not to sound heartless, but it seems stupid to allow refuse to pile in the streets and then try to outlaw the odour.

Deleted
    This is so unconstitutional. Any judge worth a dam will strike this law down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumu View Post
    This law is hilarious, and will probably be as strictly imposed as 'sodomy' laws are in other states.
    Remember Sodom!

(referring to the shit ME3 got for that sort of thing)

At first I came in this thread laughing, thinking "wtf is this?"

...But then I realized just how many times I've been walking downtown where I live...and a group of people...with darker than average skin tone...have walked past me just spewing out those words.

*Cough* Hmmm no, it's still bad, but....but...no, it's still silly. Right? ...right?