Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maglen View Post
    But in this specific case the speech in question, profanity, is protected by the Constitution and supported by the Supreme Court. Just because you don't like what someone says doesn't mean you can try to censor it, unless it's deemed hate speech.
    Whether or not you are correct depends wholly on how it's applied. If they attempt to fine someone for a normal volume of speech amongst friends, you're correct and the fine can be challenged and struck down. Mere presence of a 'profane' word has, as you have rightly pointed out, already been deemed protected. HOWEVER, there is a difference between wearing a shirt with a curse on it, or speaking it in a normal conversation, and sitting in a public area screaming curses just to annoy people. The laws do look at intent... the shirt in your example was a protest of government actions which is VERY explicitly what the first amendment was intended to protect. But when the intent is simply to cause disturbance, they take a dimmer view of it, so to successfully challenge the fine you'd need to argue that you had a legitimate reason behind your actions.

As it has been pointed out, this law actually isn't criminalizing anything that wasn't already disallowed. Excessive and loud swearing in public is already considered to fall under public disturbance. It merely gives the police chief a quick and easy way to punish the instances that really don't warrant actually arresting and charging a person with a misdemeanor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Then pack your fucking shit and move to china commie. God damn, I cant believe someone actually said this bullshit.

Infracted: Please, refrain from personally insulting other posters.

Your location explains a bit.

Yeah good luck trying to fine someone for speaking, what about swearing in other languages?

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 10:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    That's fucking ridiculous...o_O I live in Massachusetts
    If you said that in the street you would be fined.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could somebody explain to me why "shit" or "fuck" is bad, but "poop" or "sex" is alright?

Deleted
    who defines what a swear word is? and then, how do they prove it? how do they prove some one said "shit".

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SunbakedDuck View Post
    20 $ ??? should be atleast 100 $ so people think twice what they say..i dont want to go outside and hear some 10year old kid talk shit :S
    That'll be $20, please. j/k

Who decides what is a bad word and what isn't? "Shit" isn't a bad word in any of the circles I run in, but might be a $20 fine because of the meaning someone else applies to the meaning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    who defines what a swear word is? and then, how do they prove it? how do they prove some one said "shit".
    Pixie magic, of course!

Although, since this is a smaller town, I guess they could go the medieval way and do it essentially based on accusations. So if 5 people say you're guilty, you're guilty.... if a reputable person says you're guilty, you're guilty.. if you're a miscreant who has gotten in trouble, anyone could tell an officer you cussed and you're guilty. The justification is that in a closer community, you're more able to understand people and find out the truth, when the reality is it simply sets up a system for abuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    You ever hear an old man swear? I can make a teen look downright mild in comparison.

Laws enacted by old people to crack down on young people should be thrown out on the spot. Being young doesn't make a person a second-class citizen. Curfew laws, language laws, anything based on age that limit otherwise age-unrelated activities should not be passable to begin with.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    This is bullshit... It's just words and for as long as it's not used to threaten, harass or insult someone (which can even be done without using swear words) it should be fine to say whatever the hell you want!

Swear words only hold power if you allow them to, the only reason people use swear words to begin with is because they know people do react to them, that's why they do it. When something is forbidden it will only make people want it more, ever heard of the forbidden fruit? Applies to words as well...

Deleted
    Steven Pinker has a lot to say about swearing in this google talk. Unfortunately I am not allowed to post links, but paste the below after youtube dot com, and you're all set to be dazzled.

/watch?v=hBpetDxIEMU#t=23m

I time-stamped the bit where he gets into swear words, I thought maybe some of you would find it interesting.

I'm hoping this can lead to two favourable outcomes:

One, the cost of swearing will over time lead to more novel, inventive ways of swearing - if you're going to pay the fine, better make it good, right? Simple profanity like "fuck!" or "shit!" will be replaced by innotivate variants, such as "cuntwaffle!" or "babyfucker!".

Secondly, Massachusetts will pave the way for new swear words in an ever ongoing battle between police and pranksters. Personally, I am excited to see what they can come up with, and wish our brave american friends the best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Yami View Post
    Since when did people get offended by simple words? They are just words people they don't hurt!
    Oh, the ignorance in this post is funnier than the news posted above it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see this leading to sticky beak assholes in the street just looking to catch someone out, the fact something like got passed is funny and annoying at the same time. Swearing out loud in public in a disorderly display in most countries can get you arrested for sure, but this is just shameless revenue gathering.

Seeing as I'm from another country, was just wondering does this cost the tax payer to have this passed like it does here?
    Last edited by Blockygame; 2012-06-12 at 11:29 PM.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

If you got a ticket for this you could probably sue the municipality for infringing on your rights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    If you got a ticket for this you could probably sue the municipality for infringing on your rights.
    Which is what will happen when they catch a young adult who turns out to be an otherwise well-off individual with multiple ties and connections to various legal organizations.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    I personally think this infringes upon freedom of speech and would refuse to pay a 20$ fine. Thoughts?
    I 100% agree, freedom of speech is dying. And no one seems to be sticking up for it. Everyone is so damn caught up with being PC, or not trying to offend anyone, it's ridiculous. We will never have a world where NO ONE gets offended by anything. so why try to please everyone now? It's IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone.

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 06:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SunbakedDuck View Post
    20 $ ??? should be atleast 100 $ so people think twice what they say..i dont want to go outside and hear some 10year old kid talk shit :S
    Then don't listen.. It shouldn't be up to you OR anyone else, what someone says. Unless maybe a verbal threat, and even then I don't believe in that "law" either.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Only is America. land of the free my ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by morlem View Post
    While there have been a number of laws and such lately that make one question just how free America is, relative to the rest of the world it is still a lot more free in a large number of areas in terms of individual rights

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by morlem View Post
    Considering that the UK arrests people for posting offensive shit on Twitter, I'm quite happy here.

I wonder how many people there are like me, almost 20 and I've never used a swear in my life.

Personally I've always considered the freedom of speech to be more around protecting the people who wish to speak out against the government, so not only does this not seem to fall under that, it falls more under disturbing the public.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    You ever hear an old man swear? I can make a teen look downright mild in comparison.

Laws enacted by old people to crack down on young people should be thrown out on the spot. Being young doesn't make a person a second-class citizen. Curfew laws, language laws, anything based on age that limit otherwise age-unrelated activities should not be passable to begin with.
    Next craze: Ageism

"Racism and sexism is old, YOUNG PEOPLE DESERVE EQUAL RIGHTS"

Can't handle a little profanity. Probably some insaneo christian community.

Making alt accounts to troll, not a good idea.
    Last edited by Myrrar; 2012-06-13 at 04:17 AM.