Differences between the Retina 15" and the new upgraded MacBook Pros?

Hey guys

I saw the new retina in the shop today, and it's hard to find a basic list of what you get from a Retina MacBook Pro(obv. it's a better monitor, but isn't that kind of things only for photographs and stuff?)

So what is the exact list of the changes, except the monitor?

Thing is, i'm looking for a new laptop, and im considering a mac book, im gonna use it for studying, and part-time gaming, but i don't know if a Retina is my way to go, or i should buy the new upgraded Mac Book pros..

If I'm correct besides the screen it's a faster processor, better GPU, bigger flash memory and different ports also some difference in internals. I'd check their site they have the option to compare all models Apple's Compare Site. I'd go with a regular if all you're gonna do is studying unless you want the best of the best and aren't held back by budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    so you'd spend like 2k+$ for a studying notebook ? ain't that a real waste of money? even for gaming it'd still be a waste in my oppinion... u could get a non-mac notebook for half that price with decent specs just sayin' ...

The interesting thing is that the 'retina' MBP is actually cheaper than the 'normal' MBP with RAM+SSD upgrade. The display is also supposed to be less glossy + have better contrast. If I had some spare money, I would buy it in an instant...

glad to see someone finally pushing out decent displays, even if it is apple. We used to be on the right track in 2005 when you could get a great SXGA+(On a 12.1 laptop) with a touch panel or 2048x1536 on a 15incher, and then it all went down to 1366x768. Everyone's going to follow apple, like they always do. yay consumerism.
    Makes me wonder though, will there be upgraded displays. Other then that you dont get anything that's really worth it, at the 2.2k mark.

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 10:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    The interesting thing is that the 'retina' MBP is actually cheaper than the 'normal' MBP with RAM+SSD upgrade. The display is also supposed to be less glossy + have better contrast. If I had some spare money, I would buy it in an instant...
    You should keep your eyes on alibaba, someone might make your display model in a high PPI.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

The retina display currently has only limited use

Games and movies don't support the high pixels as far as I know.

If you like foto edditing then this may be good but it is a expensive toy

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're in the market for a laptop for studies, but also for part-time gaming then you should take a look at the $800-$1100 pricerange, something along the lines of a GT 550M/GT 640-650.

You'll save a bunch of cash, the retina line of MKP's aren't really aimed at the genral user, but I can imagine lots of people buying it either way.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

They did show Diablo 3 running on it during the presentation.. not sure if that means D3 will have a special version for this laptop or if they just randomly picked a recent game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it's not like Diablo is an intensive game :P
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    so you'd spend like 2k+$ for a studying notebook ? ain't that a real waste of money? even for gaming it'd still be a waste in my oppinion... u could get a non-mac notebook for half that price with decent specs just sayin' ...
    Aethetics and the OS. That's primarily what you pay for except for the hardware.

The new 2880x1800 resolution is quite frankly marketed to people working in a visual field. Apple is obviously intent on getting mobility and quality out to the people who need it, or can afford it. Now currently the overall system is nothing too great but the screen is everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know with other countries but most people in Greenland buy macbooks for bragging reasons :P

There is a person every now and then actually making music/film stuff etc.

The aesthetics are nice, the cooling on them just seem abit blargh, one my friend's MKP gets really hot when running ie. Minecraft, that's every part of the laptop except the screen area.

Armory

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Retina display: 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors

2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache

8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory
    Configurable to 16GB.

256gb flash storage.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching

still not a gaming rig by any means, but mac computers are top notch. i still use my MBA alot even with a very good desktop, osx is a better operating system for day to day things.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Studying on a retina macbook may be more enjoyable with very crisp text, flash storage and aesthetics but value for money certainly not! I am upgrading from a 2010 13" from aperture usage mainly. With faster internet etc and many more devices following apple in becoming >220dpi we will see a lot more 'retina' in every day browsing etc, loading a higher pixel count image on a page if it detects certain resolution or download speed etc.

If you were clutching at straws you can say that for studing, the crispness of text will be easier on your eyes, well I did say clutching straws

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    still not a gaming rig by any means, but mac computers are top notch. i still use my MBA alot even with a very good desktop, osx is a better operating system for day to day things.
    Erh, that's personal prefference, some people prefer Linux for day to day, some people with OSX & some people with Win7.

Armory