Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Diablo 3 items on Ebay

There are already Diablo 3 item auctions on ebay. The RMAH still provides a safe platform to buy and sell items in Diablo 3, but do you think that was worth having no offline mode and having to deal with server issues like maintenance and downtime?

I've yet to see widespread evidence of duping beyond one (really, really, really stupid) bug, and I've seen zero complaints about the process for grouping being too complicated or too slow, so yes.

People will continue to do whatever third-party crap they want to do (probably to avoid cuts), but I guarantee the RMAH drastically reduced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    but do you think that was worth having no offline mode and having to deal with server issues like maintenance and downtime?
    Definitely no.

10+ Year Old Account
    For shits and giggles, I typed Diablo 3 into eBay's search and scoured through all of the pages relating to the game (quite a few). There are tons of gold selling things, people selling guest passes and other D3 related things. Nothing about gear though. Where are you seeing this exactly?

Anyway. This thread strikes me as a disguised QQ about no offline mode.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    For shits and giggles, I typed Diablo 3 into eBay's search and scoured through all of the pages relating to the game (quite a few). There are tons of gold selling things, people selling guest passes and other D3 related things. Nothing about gear though. Where are you seeing this exactly?

Anyway. This thread strikes me as a disguised QQ about no offline mode.
    Hmm that's weird. I can't find any on the US Ebay but there's plenty on the german site. They go as high as 1000 €.
    http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_nkw=d...at=0&_from=R40

I'm fine with no offline mode, but it's a fair question, since Blizzard introduced the RMAH to prevent exactly this thing from happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why use eBay and risk getting scammed? Just use the RMAH. I don't give a fuck that there's no offline mode. The only cons are not being able to connect to the servers/maintenance/downtime. But that has had very little impact on myself. So totally yes. I can't even understand the other side of the argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalfrezi View Post
    Why use eBay and risk getting scammed? Just use the RMAH. I don't give a fuck that there's no offline mode. The only cons are not being able to connect to the servers/maintenance/downtime. But that has had very little impact on myself. So totally yes. I can't even understand the other side of the argument.
    When I come across an item worthy enough I'd be using Ebay instead of the RMAH. Ebay doesn't require me to own a cell phone to use.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalfrezi View Post
    I guess you have to ask the people that are selling and buying items on ebay, because there seem to be plenty of them. I would say the biggest advantage of ebay is there's no limit on prices and number of auctions.

As for "understanding the other side of the argument", I can try again. The point of the RMAH was to prevent players from getting scammed. Now that real money is involved you somehow have to control item duplication, so the game requires you to be connected to the internet and has no offline mode. That was the whole point of it. But players are still using sites like ebay to sell their items. The whole point of the RMAH and the online requirement was to prevent that. Or at least that's what they say, who knows. Maybe it's enough for them that they get a cut.

Deleted
    Hmm that's weird. I can't find any on the US Ebay but there's plenty on the german site. They go as high as 1000 €.
    http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_nkw=d...at=0&_from=R40

I'm fine with no offline mode, but it's a fair question, since Blizzard introduced the RMAH to prevent exactly this thing from happening.
    This is happening because there is no buyout cap on Ebay. I have seen items there being sold as high as 700 Euros. Yes, the RMAH will help but it will not eliminate this issue since there is a cap.

Is it illegal to sell items to friends outside RMAH? since It consists of two transactions non of which can be illegal: 1) Giving money to a friend 2) Trading an item ingame. Both are 100% ok

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroterror View Post
    This is happening because there is no buyout cap on Ebay. I have seen items there being sold as high as 700 Euros. Yes, the RMAH will help but it will not eliminate this issue since there is a cap.
    There's also items around 1-5 €. You can only have 10 auctions at a time on the RMAH, so I think that's another reason.

Deleted
    There's also items around 1-5 €. You can only have 10 auctions at a time on the RMAH, so I think that's another reason.
    Yeah, I agree, that should be an additional factor. I haven't sold anything on Ebay so I don't know how high the cuts are compared to the RMAH cut. If it is lower, that would be another reason for people to keep using Ebay.

15% tax on getting your money out is also probably a good motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Marooned View Post
    Is it illegal to sell items to friends outside RMAH? since It consists of two transactions non of which can be illegal: 1) Giving money to a friend 2) Trading an item ingame. Both are 100% ok
    Bribery of a public official is completely legal, right? It consists of 1) giving money to a public official and 2) the public official using his power. Both are 100% ok.

In any event, it isn't illegal to sell items through ebay (though, you are technically selling a possessory right that is freely revokable by blizzard, kinda like me selling you the golf clubs my friend Brian gave me where both of us know that the clubs are really Brian's. One could argue, perhaps, that you are embezzling).

---------- Post added 2012-06-17 at 08:02 PM ----------

I guess you have to ask the people that are selling and buying items on ebay, because there seem to be plenty of them. I would say the biggest advantage of ebay is there's no limit on prices and number of auctions.

As for "understanding the other side of the argument", I can try again. The point of the RMAH was to prevent players from getting scammed. Now that real money is involved you somehow have to control item duplication, so the game requires you to be connected to the internet and has no offline mode. That was the whole point of it. But players are still using sites like ebay to sell their items. The whole point of the RMAH and the online requirement was to prevent that. Or at least that's what they say, who knows. Maybe it's enough for them that they get a cut.
    Is it worth having police? As far as I realize, police are here to stop crime. But crime persists. Maybe it is enough that the government gets to tax us to fund itself.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-06-17 at 08:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post

Is it worth having police? As far as I realize, police are here to stop crime. But crime persists. Maybe it is enough that the government gets to tax us to fund itself.
    That's really a weird comparison.

It's also a logical fallacy . I wouldn't bother arguing against it.
    Last edited by Duskmourne; 2012-06-17 at 08:31 PM.

Argument by analogy does suck, but you're missing the point. The point of the RMAH wasn't to stop it completely. They couldn't possibly hope to ever stop outside RMT completely. The point was to give people a much easier, more convenient, and safer place to do so to discourage it. They've done exactly that.

This whole 'if it didn't work completely, they shouldn't bother' thing is getting kind of tiring.

Can you get rich IRL from D3 stuff?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Bribery of a public official is completely legal, right? It consists of 1) giving money to a public official and 2) the public official using his power. Both are 100% ok.

In any event, it isn't illegal to sell items through ebay (though, you are technically selling a possessory right that is freely revokable by blizzard, kinda like me selling you the golf clubs my friend Brian gave me where both of us know that the clubs are really Brian's. One could argue, perhaps, that you are embezzling).
    Ahh thanks for clarifying that, I sort of got it

Quote Originally Posted by Duskmourne View Post
    It's also a logical fallacy . I wouldn't bother arguing against it.
    It is an unfair argument and not completely comparative. I agree it shouldn't be argued against other than to say it is an unfair comparison. Nonetheless, farce is rarely fair.

The point, as a fellow poster seemed to pick up, is that just like police, blizzard isn't aiming to eliminate an ill in society/the game. They are trying to decrease its occurrence.