Page 2 of 212 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I suppose this entirely depends on how violent you consider "violent," as sad as that is.

Rhythm games might suit your fancy. Audiosurf, Guitar Hero, Stepmania, etc are good fun without violence. I've spent months of time total on Rollercoaster Tycoon, although you might be hard-pressed to find a copy of any version nowadays. 2 is the best, and dammit I'm going to reinstall it now that I'm thinking about it.

Terraria and Minecraft are good fun if you're into exploring and creating stuff, though there is pixelated combat and stuff reminiscent of an SNES game but with a much larger screen and, in the case of Minecraft, a 3d view. Do any search for Terraria or Minecraft and you'll see how they look.

Plants VS Zombies is silly, there's really no other word for it. You've got a bunch of plants warding off zombies by shooting peas, blowing up hot peppers, tossing watermelons at them, and all kinds of stuff. PopCap has a lot of non-violent games that might be worth looking at. Just don't get hooked on their facebook crap by sinking money into it.

Worms is also a silly one, though definitely more violent, but it might be acceptable. You have a bunch of cartoon worms that pretty much try to kill each other with various cartoony weapons, some based on real weapons like the shotgun and others that are more fanciful like the holy hand grenade or concrete donkey. The only blood in it is if you turn it on, and then it's more like a splat than anything else. Worms: Reloaded is the latest and available on Steam.

What consoles do you have, if any?
    Last edited by Jackielope; 2012-06-24 at 04:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

Some non-combat games...

Amnesia
    And Yet It Moves
    Audiosurf
    Bit.Trip Runner
    Cave Story
    Cogs
    Crayon Physics
    Limbo
    Nimbus
    Super Meat Boy
    VVVVVV
    Chantelise
    Civ 5 (sorta?)
    Plants vs. Zombies
    Anno 2070

Yeah, they're pretty much all indie games : /

I think I didn't double up on anything that people have already suggested. There are a lot of good ones, but violent games far outweigh non-violent games usually.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Some non-combat games...

Amnesia
    And Yet It Moves
    Audiosurf
    Bit.Trip Runner
    Cave Story
    Cogs
    Crayon Physics
    Limbo
    Nimbus
    Super Meat Boy
    VVVVVV
    Chantelise
    Civ 5 (sorta?)
    Plants vs. Zombies
    Anno 2070

Yeah, they're pretty much all indie games : /

I think I didn't double up on anything that people have already suggested. There are a lot of good ones, but violent games far outweigh non-violent games usually.
    I suggested Amnesia and Audiosurf :P

I was gonna suggest LIMBO but I decided against it for some reason. lol

15+ Year Old Account
    From Dust. You are some manifestation of nature trying to guide a primitive tribe to safety in a harsh land
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by hksin11186 View Post
    This isn't out yet, but when it is get ready for a mind bender not seen since Portal.

http://youtu.be/SS4r9Fq3beU
    O.O
    ...wtf.

Stood in the Fire masterdisaster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just ordered the Sly Cooper collection from amazon. Highly recommend checking that out!

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    From Dust. You are some manifestation of nature trying to guide a primitive tribe to safety in a harsh land
    Omg yes. My brother picked it up a while back and I've played it a bit. It's super fun. Reminds me a bit of Black and White, but WAY cooler for some reason.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Omg yes. My brother picked it up a while back and I've played it a bit. It's super fun. Reminds me a bit of Black and White, but WAY cooler for some reason.
    brb "buying" B&W. Tried to get this way back (well after release, but a good 6 years ago) and it just wouldn't work for whatever reason

Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by masterdisaster View Post
    Just ordered the Sly Cooper collection from amazon. Highly recommend checking that out!
    Sly Cooper is the best. As if people couldn't tell from my avatar. :P
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

Stood in the Fire masterdisaster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWerebison View Post
    boss
    10chrs

Deleted
    Anno 2070 is quite a good strategy game where you can ignore combat completly or well almost i think there might be like 2 or 3 campaign missions that have some combat needed but the most fun thing is to play just a random map that continues forever i think atleast it continues forever and just build your city expand to other islands manage resources and gadgets your cities need, You do however have the option to build warships and destroy the others but you dont have to.

I guess any racing game works to one i like is Sonic and Sega Allstars Racing there is power ups like in Mario Kart that i guess hurt others but i dont realy see that as to violent.

Garry's Mod is also a good game to play around with and just build stuff with the source engine.

Minecraft if you just want to build stuff you can disable monsters and just run around and mine and survive or you could do creative mode which you just build stuff with no gathering of materials or food or health to look after.

I hope i helped.

You should look into Gears of War, Bulletstorm, and Grand Theft Auto.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWerebison View Post
    Sly Cooper: Having Kung Fu Pandas a decade before WoW

Only beat by WC3 by a couple months

Have to agree on audiosurf. Makes a good way to waste time, and you get to listen to your favorite songs while doing it!
    Obligatory portal
    Psychonauts
    And spacechem (Insane puzzler if you want to try it, videos are rather confusing though)

Those are what I liked that aren't necessarily violent in my steam library.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    Sly Cooper: Having Kung Fu Pandas a decade before WoW

Only beat by WC3 by a couple months
    Exactly! I've made that damn argument!

Anyway...I shall not be knocked off topic.

Cloning Clyde and Ancients of Ooga are fun and easy platform/puzzle games.

---------- Post added 2012-06-24 at 04:56 AM ----------

Oh, and how could I forget Botanicula and Machinarium. These are great puzzle games with wonderfully inventive and endearing characters and environments.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

I suggest looking into "A Tale in the Desert". It's an MMO with no combat at all, more of an Egyptian society simulator, full of huge group and solo crafting type projects. It's rather difficult to explain well, and if you're looking for cutting edge graphics, you won't find them. However, the game is probably the most academically studied game that has ever existed, and it attracts a very different audience from your typical game, which can be a very welcome thing.

Gameplay is mostly about passing "tests", 7 for each of the 7 schools - art and music, architecture, worship, thought, leadership.. I forget the others. Things range from digging up clay tiles to build a mosiac, to breeding colorful beatles, to pyramid building, wine and beer making, firework displays, glass making, herb gathering, cooking, etc, etc. Also, an interesting aspect of this MMO is that it has an end. Every couple of years, an assessment is made by the Pharaoh of the progress of people in the tests for the various schools, Great Wonders are built along with suggestions for future tests, then the game ends. A new "telling" of the tale starts, new features are coded in and the game starts again. So it's a rather dynamic experience.

Since I'm a new member, I can't post URLS.. it's atitd dot com

Worth looking into if you want something different, but it's certainly not for everybody.

Ace Attorney
    Animal Crossing (haven't played too much of it though)

Little Big Planet
    Journey

On Journey: the game is extremely short (2hrs) but the only controls you have with the game are to make a whistle noise and to jump. There is no NPC's to interract with except for bits of cloth and that white person who appears between areas. It is an online "multiplayer" game but you have no way of directly interracting with the other person other than that whistle noise. You basically silently travel along together

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    All I see now are violent games where you shoot this or kill that, and to be honest I get bored with it very fast.
    So I was hoping to get some tips on non-violent games, like indie games, side-scrollers, adventure games, management games or RTS games like The Settlers would also be fun.

I own Trine 1 & 2, Portal 1 & 2 and Psychonauts (not quite non-violent but far from violent anyway).

Any tips for a game you think might fit into what I'm looking for? I know others might be interested as well, so let's see what we can gather up.
    http://armorgames.com/ legit stuff, just some basic flash games, nothing too violent.

and how is Portal a nonviolent game? Robots try to shoot you the entire time, and gladis is always trying to get you killed >.<

World of Goo

Really cheap on Steam, fun puzzle game.