Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Solo Chess Event

Why do I suck at this? I cannot solo Chess event in Karazhan to save my life. Is there something fundamentally wrong in my strategy?

- Jump in the King, blow Heroism.
    - Move the pawn in front of the knight
    - Move the Water Elemental 3 times diagonally
    - Move the pawn in front of the King
    - Move the Queen if she is in the fire. If the King is in the fire, leave him alone, he'll get healed
    - Move the other pawn in front of the Knight
    - If the other Queen isn't to far out I'll move the other Water Elemental diagonally 3 times.
    - At this point I take control of the Queen and attack what I can. I maintain 3 spaces from the piece I am attacking. If necessary I move the King out of harms way or hop in a Bishop to heal him.

What usually ends up happening is I can attack the king with my Queen but she has two or three things beating on her and moving her just means I lose damage on the King, she dies soon anyway. At that point I don't have much that can beat down the King in time. I can rarely kill the other Queen, and I think that's my biggest problem but I'm not sure how to take her out.

Something hard in wow? I've never heard of the chess event... I must try it!

i too have trouble with this, I've come to think it just isn't soloable
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    And yet here we are.

It is easily soloable just kill the stuff ...i don't really use any tactic i just kill stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahdik View Post
    If the King is in the fire, leave him alone, he'll get healed
    theres your problem , move him out of fire asap, he wont get healed enough if you let him grill there for entire duration >.<

i usually dont bother with queen and aoe with elementals or king!

Best way to start is to move the 2 infront of king and queen so theres room for if they get fire on them, after moving them i tend to control the queen move her forward 1 space so theres multiple squares if she gets fire to move to(but stay in control of her til the fire hits) if she gets fire move her ovc, if both king and queen get fire move her then jump to king then take whichever char piece you want after that.
    Never failed to solo it first time doing that, tho rng can be a bitch i guess but all in all its a rather simple fight to solo.
    Sometimes you just have to stop healing some people to prove a point, if they don't listen, it's really their own fault :P

This is how I do it:

1. Move the pawn in front of king
    2. Change to king
    3. Move if in fire
    4. Loot

Usually takes me 1-3 tries to get it down. Basicly its rng for the most part with medivh's cheat codes, sometimes the eff you over hard and other times the enemy moves into his own traps and takes many ouchies
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Deleted
    protect king, smash offensive pieces surrounding oppents king, then proceed to smash their king. end of event

Quote Originally Posted by sebun View Post
    This is how I do it:

2. Change to king
    3. Move if in fire
    4. Loot
    It's actually really, really easy. As easy as the guy I quoted described. if you don't follow that simple tactic it can be much more difficult. I have been farming kara almost every week for 6 months or so now and never lose the chess event.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I bring out my two corner pieces by two squares or at least one so their AOE will cover a good portion of the board and sometimes double dip their king/queen.

From there, depending on the cheat, I will go on the Warlock and target the Queen (or whatever it is for alliance) and try to snipe it down. If I get fire on the King, I will switch to the healer until I get the king back up to a decent level.

Let everything else play itself and you should win in one or two tries.

I've included this photo to show what I mean.

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snookiee View Post
    Something hard in wow? I've never heard of the chess event... I must try it!
    How, is this even possible?! : /
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

It always takes me about 4-5 tries on my horde toons, and 1-2 tries on my alliance toons to get past the event. I do the exact same thing in both cases yet for some reason it works better for alliance.

I move the pawn in front of the king
    I move the pawn in front of horse
    I move horse next to the pawn I moved first in front of the king
    I keep playing the horse until my king is about to stand on fire

Lastly I just keep playing the king spamming heroism on CD and making sure the aoe is doing some damage, sometimes switch to position the queen or healers a bit better.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I start, exit the king, then move the two pawns in front of the king and queen forward one space. Then get in the queen and spam the enemy king. When he cheats and your king and queen are on fire, move them both up one square. Get back in the queen and spam on the enemy king until he is dead or she dies. If she dies, I get in the king.

It's not perfect, but it seems with this strategy I can usually get a win within three or so attempts. It really just depends how lucky you get with the cheats, and how fast he moves the king into range of your queens attacks.

I got in on my first attempt without even knowing I got it... After quite a few kills I realised it was somewhat RNG based... so I doubt you can prepare your perfect strategy!

can someone explain to me what this is? is it a quest chain or something? thanks

I used to move the king out of the fire right away but everything I read online said the Bishops will heal him enough. I'll try the Queen zerg strategy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually get it on my first try. You just have to be quick and prepare to move the king/warlock out of fires.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snookiee View Post
    can someone explain to me what this is? is it a quest chain or something? thanks
    A 'boss' encounter in karazahan, its based on chess you take control of a piece in the hopes to kill the King!. but mobs have hp and no checkmate so its not really like playing chess.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-06-29 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sebun View Post
    This is how I do it:

2. Change to king
    3. Move if in fire
    4. Loot
    It is prone to alot of RNG though, if you're good pieces keep getting fried with medivs silly cheat it can really ruin the entire game for you. I solo'd it after 5 tries or so, not really planning on doing it again. This shows how ridiculously easy this was at lvl 70 though, it might have gotten nerfed, but 10 people to control pieces...